Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » TUNA & Big Game

TUNA & Big Game TUNA - Offshore Fishing for Tuna and Other Big Game

Old 08-13-2018, 10:17 PM   #61
Goose

Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 06:58 PM   #62
bassballer

Whats the deal with the inshore bite? This time last year we catching SBFT trolling beer cans at the dump. Reports seem dead. Anyone getting out there?
bassballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 10:00 PM   #63
Sea Dangles

I have many trips with poor results
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Sea Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 11:13 AM   #64
MikeD

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassballer View Post
Whats the deal with the inshore bite? This time last year we catching SBFT trolling beer cans at the dump. Reports seem dead. Anyone getting out there?
My uncle hits that general area a lot and says the SBFT bite this year is absolutely dead. He's been avoiding the skunk by bringing a flat of butter fish all chunked up and tossing handfuls at high flyers to get the mahi fired up. Having fun with small ones on light tackle. He did get a really nice white marlin last week on a daisy chain style lure with a splasher bird in front and a skirted ballyhoo as the stinger. That was the first fish the made the 50W sing this year though. I guess its a good year if you like to tangle with the giants. The local guys I follow on social media seem to have a lot of trucks waiting at the dock, hoisting fish off the deck.

I'm headed out tomorrow to the popular spot to see if I cant get a bonito. Any tips? not looking for spots, just tactics.
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 01:49 PM   #65
MikeD

Sorry I killed the tuna thread. I guess I need to throw in an Elizabeth Warren comment to move the needle around here these days.
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 02:35 PM   #66
Sea Dangles

It is more a case of the lack of thunnus that is causing the crickets Mike. Bones/albies are the same tactics: light leader of 12-15# floro and a small epoxy or metal lure of 1/2-1 oz. they are addictive
Sea Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 03:50 PM   #67
bassballer

anyone?
Old 09-06-2018, 02:59 PM   #68
niko

theres fish around. guys are just being quiet about it. the giant fishermen are getting some rec fish in the mix. i'm gonna start going after them soon. ive been out east sharking a few times and haven't seen anything tunaish yet though

my 1st wife didn't like me fishing so much
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 08:09 PM   #69
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Sure are fish around. Local guy has gone large each of the past four days. Heard that 37 of 50 odd boats there hooked up.....

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 09:14 AM   #70
bassballer

yeah seems the hot bite missed the dump to coxes and are on the banks. Doesn't set up well for me. Time to start Hoeing.
Old 09-10-2018, 11:53 AM   #71
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Jeffries....

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 12:02 PM   #72
Rockfish9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
Jeffries....
inside over the mud as well...

A good run is better than a bad stand!
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 01:05 PM   #73
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassballer View Post
yeah seems the hot bite missed the dump to coxes and are on the banks. Doesn't set up well for me. Time to start Hoeing.
That was brief and a bit exaggerated when it went by I am hearing.
There seems to be nothing going on south of NE, including the edge... Maybe they hung in NY/NJ for too long and scampered by.

Watch, this will be a year they blow through the blackfish grounds in November while we are all anchored up watching....

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
RIROCKHOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 06:29 PM   #74
Guppy
User

Long ride looking yesterday, got to through a plug at two too late to the party blow ups, no luv... ended up in the p soup and boogied...

Beautiful day and spent some time hanging with a school of dolphins...

Spot burn
B6686B0D-1342-4CBB-9BEA-A3F2B1476DB4.jpg
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 03:42 PM   #75
Moses

62" Tuna - SEC

Sun 9/16
Went to the general area I was targeting - SEC south in the 3-5 mile range offshore. Had sporadic tuna busting since sunrise along the 5-5.5 mile range. Couple miles south of Golf Ball decided to turnaround & work the 250-325' depth which was 3-5 miles offshore. Happy to share my son (with a little help from his Uncle & Dad) landed his first tuna.

We decided to drift a while and about 10 mins later a school of decent sized tuna started busting bait 50+ yds away but heading in our direction. We patiently waited and my son placed a great cast and was instantly tight. Fish was a mean bastard and we fought on spinning gear for ~1.5 hrs before we safely gaffed it.

Guppy - looks like we were in same general area, what type of boat were you on?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180916_201503.jpg (92.4 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg 20180916_114333.jpg (94.8 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg 20180916_121120.jpg (161.9 KB, 40 views)

Mike Malone
Moses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 04:31 PM   #76
Guppy
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses View Post
Sun 9/16
Went to the general area I was targeting - SEC south in the 3-5 mile range offshore. Had sporadic tuna busting since sunrise along the 5-5.5 mile range. Couple miles south of Golf Ball decided to turnaround & work the 250-325' depth which was 3-5 miles offshore. Happy to share my son (with a little help from his Uncle & Dad) landed his first tuna.

We decided to drift a while and about 10 mins later a school of decent sized tuna started busting bait 50+ yds away but heading in our direction. We patiently waited and my son placed a great cast and was instantly tight. Fish was a mean bastard and we fought on spinning gear for ~1.5 hrs before we safely gaffed it.

I seen a black hull, looked like tight, didn’t want to get too close,,,
Congrats...

20’ CC no leaning post... old guy at the wheel... LOL

Perfect day it was... GAIL FORCE on 68 and sometimes 10
Old 09-19-2018, 08:36 PM   #77
Poncho

Good job man congrats making memories. I will be down there next weekend
Poncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 04:20 PM   #78
wdmso

Quote:
Sun 9/16

thats a great catch,,, How do you keep your Seahunt so clean .. mine hasnt looked like that since day 1 lol
wdmso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 05:17 PM   #79
Guppy
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
thats a great catch,,, How do you keep your Seahunt so clean .. mine hasnt looked like that since day 1 lol
He cleans it
Old 09-27-2018, 12:45 PM   #80
Moses

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
There's a general boat/hull cleaning page (Willie Hoven - seems to specialize in cleaning SH boats down south) on FB that has provided excellent insight. I even wet sanded my boat prior to season to remove many years of scratches in my navy blue hull.

Mike Malone
Moses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 08:27 AM   #81
wdmso

Quote:
There's a general boat/hull cleaning page (Willie Hoven - seems to specialize in cleaning SH boats down south) on FB that has provided excellent insight. I even wet sanded my boat prior to season to remove many years of scratches in my navy blue hull.
Thanks i need to sand mine as well your dark hull must be hard . i will check it out
wdmso is offline   Reply With Quote