Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 12-04-2012, 02:25 PM   #1
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Plug Dryer Problem

Maybe the Professor can help with this. The el cheapo dryer setup I bought has a shaft that is 5/16's square. It comes in three pieces and when it turns I have the ugly feeling it wants to come apart. Is there such a thing as 5/16"s square stock that can be bought. Or barring that, is there 5/16 round stock that the end can be squared to 5/16's, so it fits in the dryer motor. The shaft now turns inside of sleeves that have set-screws in them, which I tighten against the 5/16's square stock. I like the overall job I did, and this has popped up as a lose end and is bugging me. I am going to PALCO plastics to buy some clear plastic to make the door with now, which is the last thing I need.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:03 PM   #2
Rockfish9

there will always be issues that pop up... 5/16 square stock is available..... I've also used some in the form of key way stock on some of our big exhaust blowers....
My rotissary motor had a 5/16 sqare drive ... that fit over the drive motor... I through bolted the drive to the motor, I turned the opposite end round ( 1/4") and fitted it with a flex coupling.. this solved alignment problems..... from there it's all belt driven..

for me.. I have as much fun building jigs and tools to aid the job as i do building plugs...

A good run is better than a bad stand!
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:27 PM   #3
Jackbass
Land OF Forgotten Toys

I cut mine off Roughly 6 inches long And then Cut a 3/8-16 thread into it Then I converted it to threaded rod With Rod coupling and two nuts I then put bushings anywhere it passes through the plug drier housing.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Jackbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:09 PM   #4
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockfish9 View Post
there will always be issues that pop up... 5/16 square stock is available..... I've also used some in the form of key way stock on some of our big exhaust blowers....
My rotissary motor had a 5/16 sqare drive ... that fit over the drive motor... I through bolted the drive to the motor, I turned the opposite end round ( 1/4") and fitted it with a flex coupling.. this solved alignment problems..... from there it's all belt driven..

for me.. I have as much fun building jigs and tools to aid the job as i do building plugs...
Where can you buy 5/16th square stock, preferably aluminum, to keep the weight and the workload down on the drive-motor?

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:09 PM   #5
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

homies and Lowes carry some of that stuff. If not I can look at work to see if we got any or I can make something to size. When you come over to get tool bring what you are trying to fix as I can't really understand what you are trying to achieve.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:17 AM   #6
Rockfish9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmer View Post
Where can you buy 5/16th square stock, preferably aluminum, to keep the weight and the workload down on the drive-motor?
Like Paul said, Homies or Lowes carries some.. I had some in my stock trailer... McMaster Carr also carries a nice assortment...

Paul will have what you need , I'm sure..
From McMaster Carr:
Aluminum key way stock P/N 99108A105 .. 5/16 X 5/16 X 12"... $27.50
Carbon Steel key way stock P/N 98830A250 .. 5/16 X 5/16 X 12" ..$2.00
Carbon Steel key way stock P/N 98830A879 .. 5/16 X 5/16 X 36" .. $ 6.00

Last edited by Rockfish9; 12-05-2012 at 08:37 AM.. Reason: added part numbers

Old 12-05-2012, 01:05 PM   #7
smac

Mcmaster carr rocks. Coudl spend hours on that site and spend spend spend.
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:11 PM   #8
Charleston
Certified Mass-hole

5/16 round should fit the 5/16 square motor coupling as is. Maybe file a flt to accept the set screw.
Charleston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:25 PM   #9
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

good gravy $27 a foot for alum key stock. I brought home a 4 foot piece and was going to tell him 5 bucks. He already remedied the situation. Probably just leave it down the cellar till I need a 100 bucks

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:28 AM   #10
Rockfish9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorM View Post
good gravy $27 a foot for alum key stock. I brought home a 4 foot piece and was going to tell him 5 bucks. He already remedied the situation. Probably just leave it down the cellar till I need a 100 bucks
a little out of control aint it... I took the prices of fof their web site...thinking it might be a typo in the book I took the time this morning to look in the book, they don't list 5/16... but 5/8" is $8.38 for that 12" piece.....