Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » TUNA & Big Game

TUNA & Big Game TUNA - Offshore Fishing for Tuna and Other Big Game

Old 04-27-2012, 07:56 PM   #1
Rob Rockcrawler

Sea Shepards, friends?

Im watching an episode where they are cutting up tuna pens in Libya. IF the footage is real the pens were loaded with fish. I don't really care about the Japanese whaling its research after all right? I imagine some of these same fish they are liberating from the pens are swimming around here right now. They did also say that the bluefin tuna will be extinct in 5 years if things go on like they are now. I dont know bout that. The show is always entertaining.

Everything is better on the rocks.
Rob Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:28 PM   #2
thefishingfreak
"Fishbucket"

I heard they are not farming them since Qaddafi is gone.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
thefishingfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:06 PM   #3
Piscator

Freak is correct. According to Dr. Molly Lutcavage from the Large Pelagics Research Center Qaddafi and his brother/sons were huge tuna killers in the Med. They had large farming nets (Tuna will not breed in captivity). His death and elimination of the nets is a HUGE win for BFT in the Med.

I wouldn't say that the Sea Shepards were "responible" for ending this. The elimination of Qaddafi and family enabled them to cut the nets...........

"I know a taxidermy man back home. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him!"
Piscator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 05:23 AM   #4
Raven

Saw,..... where the migration was circular from the med to here and back again
so that 2 separate populations were actually the same one being counted twice.....
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 06:31 AM   #5
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Send a message via Skype™ to PRBuzz
On the tuna episode, the Sea Shepard had to play defense against the tuna wranglers, just like the Japanese whalers from the Shepard.

Given the diversity of the human species, there is no “normal” human genome sequence. We are all mutants.
PRBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 06:51 AM   #6
Piscator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
Saw,..... where the migration was circular from the med to here and back again
so that 2 separate populations were actually the same one being counted twice.....
Not true according to the Large Palagics Research Center

"I know a taxidermy man back home. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him!"
Old 04-28-2012, 06:55 AM   #7
beamie

I heard next season the Sea Sheppard will be out on Stellwagen Starting April 15th running down all the rec and charter boats trying to cod fish.

Sea Sheppard and its Capt are a menace on the ocean. Eventually someone will get killed and at that point someone will get locked up hopefully for a long time.

Jon, 24' Nauset-Green Topsides, Beamie, North River. Channel 68/69. MSBA, NIBA
beamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 07:14 AM   #8
Raven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piscator View Post
Not true according to the Large Palagics Research Center
still immaterial until a breeding solution is found
although a film i watched suggested specific new break thru's
about a scientist in Japan that had unlocked the code to
artificially reproducing TUNA... nothings come of it... recently

so it's paralleled to rhino horn...

then you have to think ahead to zero tuna= none left and how their
absence from the ocean will affect it....?
yet....
Another part of me thinks that the earth,s ocean is so friggan large and deep that it's impossible to track all of the tuna population...
Old 04-28-2012, 11:56 AM   #9
JohnnySaxatilis

Poker Face

I can't take it seriously after seeing this episode....so good. This is why southpark is the best. thank you

something clever and related to fishing
JohnnySaxatilis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 01:25 PM   #10
N.ShoreFisher
Annisquam Assassin

the problem with the Sea Shepards is that even though deep down their aim is noble, they go about things really wrong. In that episode, their contention was that(without real evidence, all guessing) those tuna nets, since they were't in yet, they must have been illegal caught. I'm all for going after people breaking the law, but not at the cost of human life. If they were to solve all the problems they saw in the ocean, mark my words they'd be after the recreational and commercial fisherman who practice sound and legal fishing next!!

Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job. ~Paul Schullery

There he stands, draped in more equipment than a telephone lineman, trying to outwit an organism with a brain no bigger than a breadcrumb, and getting licked in the process. ~Paul O'Neil, 1965
N.ShoreFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:08 AM   #11
MakoMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
still immaterial until a breeding solution is found
although a film i watched suggested specific new break thru's
about a scientist in Japan that had unlocked the code to
artificially reproducing TUNA... nothings come of it... recently
The Japanese are already selling captive bred bluefin tuna on the markets in Tokyo. They have been breeding them in captivitiy for several years now.

Sea Shepards suck! They are being sued by the owners of those pens who claim the fish were legal.

****MakoMike****

Http://www.Makomania.net

Official S-B Sponsor
MakoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 04:07 PM   #12
jasonsnova

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamie View Post
I heard next season the Sea Sheppard will be out on Stellwagen Starting April 15th running down all the rec and charter boats trying to cod fish.

Sea Sheppard and its Capt are a menace on the ocean. Eventually someone will get killed and at that point someone will get locked up hopefully for a long time.
agreed, altho i dont agree with whaling and tuna wrangling ( like that tuna wranglers show) these people are nothing but earthy crunchy live and let live hippie types...these are the same people that are anti hunters and follow you to your deer stand banging pots and pans....
i too agree that if this stuff wasnt going on they would be after the rec fishers too. someone will definatly get hurt or killed on that crew sooner or later, they already had a boat sunk because they tried to cut off a boat 20x there size.
jasonsnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:57 AM   #13
Rockfish9

one of these day's .. one of those sea shepard boats are going to get blown to smitherines by some forgien country.. it's just a matter of time.

for them.. it's all about a cause... and I agree... it's only a matter of time before they harrass recreational anglers... if they dont do it allready...my guess is, there wouldn't be quite the same sentiment towards them if they harrassed a family out on a cod charter...

A good run is better than a bad stand!
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:24 AM   #14
Sea Flat

I definitely agree that they get a little dangerous and are careless. However, I like what they are trying to do. They are only targeting people that they feel are breaking the law, or in some cases people that are taking advantage of poorly written laws and loopholes.

To me, I do not think a group like Sea Shepperds would ever touch recs. or comm. vessels doing things legally.

Sea Flat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:28 AM   #15
Piscator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Flat View Post
I definitely agree that they get a little dangerous and are careless. However, I like what they are trying to do. They are only targeting people that they feel are breaking the law, or in some cases people that are taking advantage of poorly written laws and loopholes.

To me, I do not think a group like Sea Shepperds would ever touch recs. or comm. vessels doing things legally.
I'd like to see them mess with The Hillstrand Brothers from Deadliest Catch better yet, most of the tuna fleet fishing the bank for that matter!!!!

Old 05-01-2012, 11:08 AM   #16
Sea Flat

Hahahaha.... That would be funny. The Hillstrands would probably shoot off a bunch off fireworks at the Sea Shepperd helicopter. Would make for good TV anyway

Sea Flat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:04 PM   #17
Night Shift

Uh, they shoot fireworks at their crew for fun. That boat packs very heavy, and I dare say they would never get prop fouled by anyone.
Night Shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:39 PM   #18
N.ShoreFisher
Annisquam Assassin

the problem is that most of the people they go after ar following laws for those countries. The Sea Shepards don't agree with those laws, so they feel justified in doing what "they feel is necessary". In fact, in the latest series about the pilot whale hunting in the norwegian islands, the capt of the sea shepard even said that he didn't recognize their laws and would do what ever it takes to save those whales, because that's justice. A little scary to me.

There he stands, draped in more equipment than a telephone lineman, trying to outwit an organism with a brain no bigger than a breadcrumb, and getting licked in the process. ~Paul O'Neil, 1965
Old 05-01-2012, 02:41 PM   #19
N.ShoreFisher
Annisquam Assassin

but I agree, would love to see them vs. the Hillstrand bros or the northwestern. The Hillstrand brothers pack a hell of alot more than fireworks. The have full auto ar-15s on board. HAHAHA

Old 05-01-2012, 06:15 PM   #20
OLD GOAT
OLDGOAT7205963

The Canadian government has already taken a Sea Sheppard ship a few years ago causing some of the other wildlife groups to distance themselves
OLD GOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:55 PM   #21
Rockport24
President - S-B Chapter - Kelly Clarkson Fan Club

Ok, the Captain of the Sea Shephard group got kicked out of Greenpeace for god sakes! That's like getting kicked out of Cambridge for being too liberal!

the guy has issues, the people on the boats are a bunch of I-don't-want-to-get-a-real-job hippies that are only there because they got bored with backpacking Europe! I agree that its' only a matter of time before someone gets seriously hurt or killed. Although the Capt says that is the price that needs to be paid sometimes... it's lunacy
Rockport24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 11:20 AM   #22
animal

I can't wait to see the "final" episode. The one where the SS terrorists wind up as crab bait.
animal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:50 AM   #23
jasonsnova

I saw this am on fox news that the captain was arrested on a warrant out of germany. Supposedly attempted murder from one of his stupid tactics.....
jasonsnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 04:30 PM   #24
FinS 32

My biggest problem with sea shepard, besides thier stupid tactics is thier absolute closed mindedness. they don't care about other countries cultures. taking the whaling from the norwegians is like taking striper fishing from us. they dont care who it effects, its all about what they think.

Century Rods USA Pro Staff Member
FinS 32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 04:36 PM   #25
FinS 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonsnova View Post
I saw this am on fox news that the captain was arrested on a warrant out of germany. Supposedly attempted murder from one of his stupid tactics.....
heres the story... wonder how a costa rican prison is. I imagine he wont get to do an roosterfishing

Sea Shepherd group founder Paul Watson arrested in Germany - CBS News

Century Rods USA Pro Staff Member
FinS 32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:33 PM   #26
Raven

not from a mindset of enforcing the law...

which is where i think their self justification good Samaritan league of adventurer's ideology
comes from with a BIG splash of The most superior animal on planet EARTH,
humanitarian oceanographic sympathetic passion.