Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 12-03-2011, 03:47 PM   #1
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

Another year

Interesting thoughts but I don't necessarily agree. I think right now if they lowered taxes it wouldn't change anything. People have been hit so hard I think they will use the extra money to shore up their savings not spend like they think.

Creating Jobs in the Volunteer State: Why Are Employers Reluctant to Hire? | PBS NewsHour | Dec. 2, 2011 | PBS
Old 12-03-2011, 03:53 PM   #2
striperman36
Old Guy

For once I agree. Guvmit's standing in the way of growth.

8,600 USD for a light crusher

3,600 USD to certify a forklift operator
Old 12-03-2011, 04:19 PM   #3
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

There's one simple answer here.

Invest in Wood Lures
Old 12-03-2011, 04:40 PM   #4
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& View Post
Interesting thoughts but I don't necessarily agree. I think right now if they lowered taxes it wouldn't change anything. People have been hit so hard I think they will use the extra money to shore up their savings not spend like they think.
Generally agree. If I was a small business right now I'd want cash.

Uncertainty is a drag to business, but costs can be managed when you have cash-flow.

I don't think taxes or regulation are as big of a deal as just the general political climate which looks like it could whip one way or the other depending on the mood du jour.

-spence
Old 12-03-2011, 07:56 PM   #5
afterhours
Afterhours Custom Plugs

Quote:
There's one simple answer here.

Invest in Wood Lures
agreed!

www.afterhoursplugs.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Afterh...428173?created

Instagram - afterhourscustom

Official S-B.com Sponsor

GAMEFISH NOW

"A GAMEFISH (WHICH STRIPED BASS SHOULD BE) IS TOO VALUABLE TO BE CAUGHT ONLY ONCE"...LEE WULFF
Old 12-04-2011, 10:04 AM   #6
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Generally agree. If I was a small business right now I'd want cash.

Uncertainty is a drag to business, but costs can be managed when you have cash-flow.

I don't think taxes or regulation are as big of a deal as just the general political climate which looks like it could whip one way or the other depending on the mood du jour.

-spence
"I don't think taxes or regulation are as big of a deal "

Here's the thing. You believe that, only because it supports your agenda. That's called circular logic. I see you offered no support whatsoever.

If you talk to the people who can say something knowledgable about this issue, those who run businesses, you'd get a different answer. Taxes and regulations are a cost of commerce. Spence, here is what you learn the first week in economics 101. When you increase the cost of something, the demand for that something (no matter what it is) goes DOWN. When you have stagnant growth and 9% unemployment, that last thing you want to do (if you understand economics 101) is reduce the demand for commerce. I'm not saying you eliminate taxes and regulation. I'm saying the goal should be that taxes and regulation are no higher than they need to be. I've worked in areas where we did the work to ensure compliance with Sarbanes-Oxley, and it was useless waste.

But you know wbetter I guess.

Last edited by Jim in CT; 12-04-2011 at 10:10 AM..
Old 12-07-2011, 07:57 AM   #7
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post

-spence
What's stopping job creation? Too much regulation - CNN.com
Old 12-07-2011, 09:11 AM   #8
Nebe

Overseas outsourcing is a huge culprit and anyone who buys non American made products enables it.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 12-07-2011, 09:30 AM   #9
Raven

Raise the import taxes on everything
even American company's Abroad products
and force companies to find other ways
to produce good stuff in the USA.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:31 AM   #10
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
Overseas outsourcing is a huge culprit and anyone who buys non American made products enables it.
Why is that 9 times out of 10 a Progressive/Obama/Co3x15t sticker is on a Prius. For someone that is progressive and caring of the American labor worker they seem FARRRRR more likely to drive a Jap/Kor/German car than an American car. Chinese cars are next.

All these people thanking Obama for the Auto bailouts smile when they climb back into their Accords or Lexus.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 12-07-2011, 12:26 PM   #11
JohnnyD

Quote:
Precisely why lowering taxes on businesses does not necessarily mean increased jobs. However, the inverse is almost always true - increase corporate taxes and jobs will be cut.
Old 12-14-2011, 01:05 PM   #12
zimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
Why is that 9 times out of 10 a Progressive/Obama/Co3x15t sticker is on a Prius.
Maybe because they get 50 mpg and are made in America and are extremely reliable. You rather they drive a Ford Fusion made in Mexico? The co. name no longer tells you if it is an American car. Those days are over.

No, no, no. we’re 30… 30, three zero.
Old 12-14-2011, 02:46 PM   #13
ecduzitgood
time to go

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimmy View Post
Maybe because they get 50 mpg and are made in America and are extremely reliable. You rather they drive a Ford Fusion made in Mexico? The co. name no longer tells you if it is an American car. Those days are over.
Assembled here, I would guess the percentage of American made parts would be lower than an American based profit returning home company.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:14 PM   #14
zimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecduzitgood View Post
Assembled here, I would guess the percentage of American made parts would be lower than an American based profit returning home company.
I don't know what the prius #'s are since the plant is pretty new, but the Toyota Sienna is assembled in the U.S. w/80% of the parts made here. The Ford fusion is assembled in Mexico with 20% American made parts. My original point was that it may make us feel good to buy a Ford based on the past, but they aren't usually American made anymore.

People didn't by American cars cause they made junk. The bailout, however one looks at it, saved enormous amounts of jobs and prevented huge economic losses in the end. Hard for anyone not to support that.

No, no, no. we’re 30… 30, three zero.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:49 PM   #15
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimmy View Post
I don't know what the prius #'s are since the plant is pretty new, but the Toyota Sienna is assembled in the U.S. w/80% of the parts made here. The Ford fusion is assembled in Mexico with 20% American made parts. My original point was that it may make us feel good to buy a Ford based on the past, but they aren't usually American made anymore.

People didn't by American cars cause they made junk. The bailout, however one looks at it, saved enormous amounts of jobs and prevented huge economic losses in the end. Hard for anyone not to support that.
Are the American workers who assemble Siennas unionized? I'd like to know ther answer to that. I bet not, because of those Toyota workers were in the UAW, Toyotas would be (1) more expensive and (2) less reliable.

I'm opposed to the bailouts. It's OK when bad companies go under, that's how people learn. Consider my own example. I work for a small specialty lines insurance company, and we compete regularly with AIG. We are always trying to get more business from AIG. Well, had AIG gone under, we would have been able to grow like crazy. But the feds took my money and gave it to AIG. And when my company competed with AIG on some accounts, we could not believe how low their prices were. When I asked brokers how AIG could possibly bid so low, we were always told that AIG was using TARP money, which wasn't theirs, so they were being reckless with it.

To recap. My company did nothing wrong, but AIG did. In response, the feds took my money and gave it to AIG, and AIG used that money against my company.

How is that fair? How do we explain that to our kids when we tell them, that good decisions are rewarded, and bad decisions have consequences? AIG was the reckless and irresponsible, and for that, they get REWARDED with a taxpayer-funded competitive advantage? Go ahead and defend that.

I don't get it. I'm not sophisticated enough, I guess...
Old 12-14-2011, 07:06 PM   #16
striperman36
Old Guy

The toyota plant in AL or GA, isn't unionized. There are several down that way when you drive from ATL to Montgomery to Pensacola I believe I saw 3 plants, Toyota, KIA and a Subaru plant.