Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 03-12-2008, 07:30 PM   #1
fish4life

airbrush

hey guys,
I have been looking into plug building and it seeems fun. I have experience in wood working. But what im stuck on is the air brush. What do you guys recomend? The wallet is kinda tight right now so im not looking for anything to crazy.
Thank you guys.
fish4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 07:44 PM   #2
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Do a search on this forum under "airbrush" for dicussions on air brushes,
then look for a %40 off coupon for Michaels who carries the Badger or AC Moore that carries the Iwata.
Prolly run you about $60-$70.
Enjoy.

" Choose Life "
justplugit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 07:50 PM   #3
gregorjim
gregorjim

I have a Iwata eclipse , which was recomended by several members of this forum..I've had some problems as it's a dual system brush,, Guess it will just take time to use properly..I also just purchased a Badger #350 at Michaels Craft store with a 40% off coupon ,,This is a single stage brush , i was going to use just for small dots, lines etc..Total price was just around $30.. Seems pretty good for all work ? The prices at Michaels are great with the coupons...Only problems are fighting with the wife to see who gets the coupon first..Jim
gregorjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 07:59 PM   #4
GooGoo Man
Addicted to plugs

you do not need a coupon, just tell the cashier to take the $ off that particular item you are purchasing, was told that by an employee of michaels.
GooGoo Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 10:25 AM   #5
kickin'bass ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by GooGoo Man View Post
you do not need a coupon, just tell the cashier to take the $ off that particular item you are purchasing, was told that by an employee of michaels.
i tried that at the store the other nite and you dont even need the coupon just ask!!i picked up the anthem 155 kit,now to practice using it.
kickin'bass ass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 01:17 PM   #6
scottw

gotta agree with KBA, I just purchased the Badger Anthem155 at Michaels, about $80 with the coupon...I've been using a host of airbrushes for work for the last 20 years for work and this model is very easy to use right out of the box, you can spray small and fairly large with the same nozzel, one of the easiest I've ever used, maintained,
scottw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 02:15 PM   #7
crash
Professional dumba$$

People have done some incredible work with spray cans. IMO, you would be best served with a few cans of spraypaint, especially if you are just looking into building. My first plugs were painted with rustoleum, cleared with automotinve clearcoat from walmart, and are still fishable(and fished often).
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 03:59 PM   #8
rhahn427

Check out the Badger Website ........ they have a garage sale going on and they have some good deals ......... recommodation the Model 360 because you can do both the bottom feed and the gravity feed ....... $36 ........

The Model 155 is $28
rhahn427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 05:03 PM   #9
crash
Professional dumba$$

Sorry, forgot to ask, do you already have a compressor?
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 06:31 PM   #10
scottw

don't panic Kickin', the $28 155 mentioned is not the Anthem, here's a link with a bunch of reviews from both new and experienced ab'ers regarding the Anthem 155 model

http://www.airbrushtechnique.com/Rev...roduct/9/cat/6
Old 03-13-2008, 08:21 PM   #11
scottw

I should specify "not the Anthem package", scroll down a little further on the Badger website and it's there, I didn't want Kickin' to have a heart attack thinking he spent 80 and could have gotten it for 28... ...76 or 78 dollars plus shipping and 2-4 weeks lag time, Michaels was 78 with the coupon which I didn't have but signed a form at the desk for the discount, also, Walmart used to carry a package in the toy section with the models made by Testors, AZTEK, hobby shops carry it but it's cheapest at Wally's...that is a good inexpensive starter airbrush kit and easy to use, pretty straight forward with interchangable tips...sorry for any confusion, and best of luck.....
Old 03-14-2008, 10:02 AM   #12
kickin'bass ass

thanks for clearing that up scott,the first thing i said when i saw that $28 was wtf,ive been playing with the brush on a sheet of cardboard with good results very easy to use,control and clean a good purchase i feel so far
kickin'bass ass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 01:40 PM   #13
fish4life

Thumbs up

thanks for all of the info guys, it helps alot.
Old 03-17-2008, 05:16 PM   #14
rhahn427

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
don't panic Kickin', the $28 155 mentioned is not the Anthem, here's a link with a bunch of reviews from both new and experienced ab'ers regarding the Anthem 155 model

Sorry but it is the Anthem ....... I bought 3 of them and they look exactly as pictured in the link you posted ..........

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying ........ do they have more than 1 Model 155 ........ I can't find it anywhere in their literature or talking to the guy at Badger ..............

Been trying to tell you guys ....... this is one heck of a sale ......... I also bought 3 of the older model Airstar 5's for $25 each ....... and 3 other buddies got the last of those ........
Old 03-18-2008, 11:33 AM   #15
leptar
eh! What do you mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino from BadgerAirbrush.com
Yes, the 155 in the garage sale is the Anthem.
It is the Anthem for $28... just bought 2 of them..

rhahn427, my 150 is from long ago.. a friend had borrowed it.. and neglected it... so parts were on him...
leptar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 12:18 PM   #16
scottw

if you read what I wrote, yes the 155 is $28 (plus shipping?) and that's a very good price, glad you got some and hope you love them, the thread was started by a guy looking for his "first airbrush", if you scroll down the Badger Garage Sale page you will see the "155 Anthem package"(and they've added another package as well) which was the one brought up by me and KBA as a recent purchase and is available at Michaels for a price comparable to the garage sale price and is now sold out at the Badger Garage Sale...since this is the "first" airbrush for the guys mentioned above, they'd need the package because the airbrush won't work very well without a hose, paint cups etc... your post implied that you purchased ("the 155 is $28") the same package that KBA and I purchased at Michaels for $78, that is not the case, I simply pointed out to KBA that it was apples and oranges and I again say, that is avery good price for the 155 airbrush only, I have one and like it very much, I provided the reviews link to help fish4life get more impressions of the ab than just mine alone...I hope that clears it up...PEACE!
Old 03-18-2008, 12:35 PM   #17
rhahn427

Sorry guy ......... misunderstanding on my part ........ thanks for clearing it up .......
Old 03-18-2008, 01:42 PM   #18
fish4life

hey guys i looked around alot and did alot of reading. i went to ACmoore bc i had a 50% off cupon. i picked up a
Iwata eclipse bc i thought it was the best bang for my buck from what i was reading on differnt sites. no im just waiting for my plug kits to come in the mail from njtackle. thanks for all of everyones help.
Old 03-18-2008, 02:10 PM   #19
scottw

very popular ab with the taxidermists, I'm sure you'll be very happy together, if I've ruffled any feathers I'm happy to meet at a favorite fishing spot and I'll bring the beer, I have a wife and 3 daughters and, well...I have my daily quota of arguing already, prefer fishing and trying to make plugs!
Old 03-18-2008, 03:58 PM   #20
rhahn427

No ruffled feathers on my part guy ......... we're all just trying to help each other .......
Old 03-18-2008, 04:35 PM   #21
scottw

cool, thanks