Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 07-19-2005, 06:25 PM   #1
jomlt9@AOL.COM

sealer question

I made a few plugs and one cracked i used 2 coats oil base primmer / rattle can / 2 coats e-tex I wanna learn how to seal them from water i was think of linseed / min spirts 60 / 40 . QUESTION 1 I understand about the rags was wondering how can the rags ignight but the plugs that u dip dont ? QUESTION 2 How about the minwax does that work as good its safer? iF so how many coats and will my oil base primer stick to it , how long do u dip minwax and how long to dry before paint all my plugs i wanna make are gonna have grommets need some help from u guys i posted some poopers i made learned it all from rhis forum
jomlt9@AOL.COM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 06:43 PM   #2
afterhours
Afterhours Custom Plugs

always seal. go ahead and use linseed or val-oil- just be careful with wipe rags, store them in a sealed can. not sure why they can go up in flames ( maybe fast rate of evaporation?)but i've heard of it happening.

www.afterhoursplugs.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Afterh...428173?created

Instagram - afterhourscustom

Official S-B.com Sponsor

GAMEFISH NOW

"A GAMEFISH (WHICH STRIPED BASS SHOULD BE) IS TOO VALUABLE TO BE CAUGHT ONLY ONCE"...LEE WULFF
afterhours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 07:05 PM   #3
jomlt9@AOL.COM

arterhours why do the rags ignight but the plugs don't and how long till u can paint whats the drying time
Old 07-19-2005, 07:08 PM   #4
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
My guess is the rags...all folded up and such....begin to dry and the linseed and spirits generates heat as it does so....kind of like the 5 minute Devcon epoxy (if you have ever used that) as it cures it generates heat and where the heat in the rags is generating hotter as it is folded unto itself....increased heat and fire!

Basically it is a chemical reaction taking place.....the wood is more stable than the rags....relate the two to tinder when you try to start a fire as opposed to a solid block of wood.

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 07:12 PM   #5
jomlt9@AOL.COM

larry is the dip time like 30 sec and how long do u let it dry for a weekor so?
Old 07-19-2005, 07:20 PM   #6
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
I soak mine for one minute and let dry for 5 days before priming. Remember everyone does things differently.....this is my way and it works....no cracks or splits so far. Make sure you wipe off all excess after dipping....put the used rags in a paint can like you buy at Homies with the closeable lid.

Have not forgotten your plug...going out tomorrow I hope...just busy. oke:

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote