Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 08-29-2010, 05:28 PM   #1
Sgt_Nutz

Heating Question

Any heating guys out there? My Superstore hot water expansion tank is leaking from the Control connection. It is a Honeywell Aquastat and it is leaking from inside the immersion well not the plumbing connection. The hole Control box is corroded and needs to be replaced. It looks easy enough to replace for $100 or so myself. The problem I am having is removing the immersion well from the tank. I tried unscrewing it with a pair of channel locks put it will not budge. I didn't try forcing it to much for fear of damaging the tank. What do they usually use to seal the threads in this type of application? Can I safely put more pressure on it and unscrew it from the tank?

Thanks, any advice would be appreciated.

20' Aquasport CC 115hp Johnson 'SiouxToo'
Sgt_Nutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 07:42 PM   #2
tattoobob
Soggy Bottom Boy

You need to hold back when unscrewing the well I would use either a open end wrench or a pipe wrench not channel locks

It should be just teflon tape and pipe dope

you can also try to heat it up with a torch as a last resort

Surfcasting Full Throttle

Don't judge me Monkey

Recreational Surfcaster 99.9% C&R
tattoobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 07:52 PM   #3
Nebe

I redid my old one a few years back. I used vice grips and once I broke the seal of what ever sealed the threads, it was easy. I cleaned everything with acetone and let it dry completely and used 3M 5200 to seal it back together.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 02:39 PM   #4
Sgt_Nutz

Thanks for the feedback. I will give the pipe wrench a try.

Old 08-31-2010, 09:45 PM   #5
bostonharbor

Shut down boiler.Turn off feed valve.Drain tank.Use crescent wrench on immersion well fitting,crescent or pipe wrench on tank fitting.Use Teflon tape and Rectorseal #5 on new fitting taking care not to crush new fitting on installation.Inserting old aqaustat temporarily can prevent this.Good Luck.
bostonharbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 10:26 PM   #6
WESTPORTMAFIA

pm 5/0 he may be able to help. If he helps just use this post as a coupon for - $100.
WESTPORTMAFIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 10:58 AM   #7
Sgt_Nutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonharbor View Post
Shut down boiler.Turn off feed valve.Drain tank.Use crescent wrench on immersion well fitting,crescent or pipe wrench on tank fitting.Use Teflon tape and Rectorseal #5 on new fitting taking care not to crush new fitting on installation.Inserting old aqaustat temporarily can prevent this.Good Luck.
Repair completed! And for less than $100! Crossing my fingers and watching for leaks. Old fitting had 1" threads and new 3/4 so I had to use a reducer. Should have paid more attention to your reply bostonharbor. Almost crushed new fitting. It was a tight fit but new aquastat fit in. Thanks for the info.

Rectorseal ??? Is that a seal club or something for constipation? hehehhe