Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 12-29-2007, 07:41 AM   #1
WadingWill

Sealing question

I just got a lathe and have been turning some pencils, and want to take the next step after drilling them. I've done a search on sealing, but can't really find what I'm looking for. What do you guys use, and how/where can I get it. I was going to use val-oil but just found out they don't make it any more. If anyone can point me in the right direction I'd greatly appreciatte it. Thanks in advance.
WadingWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 09:10 AM   #2
johnny ducketts
><(((°> ><((( °> ><(((°>

Alot of guys will use a mixture of boiled linseed oil and mineral spirits in a 60/40 mixture, but you have to be careful and dispose of the rags appropriately, some other guys use priportionate, which are basically plastic pellets dissolved in acetone, I'm sure other guys have different methods, and will chime in to help, I am looking for a method my self but am still on the fence about which one to use.

60 % of the time, it works every time.
johnny ducketts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 09:15 AM   #3
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

So many sealers so little time. Your in Falmouth take a ride by PNG's. Need a hazmat crew to clean out his cellar. Not sure what the flavor of the month is now. Use the search and you will be confused like the rest of us.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 11:11 AM   #4
johnny ducketts
><(((°> ><((( °> ><(((°>

I actually sent him a pm, and I think we are gonna work on some stuff this winter. It's gonna be pretty cool.

Old 12-29-2007, 01:51 PM   #5
Pete F.
Canceled

Has anyone tried Miniwax polycrylic?

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Pete F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 02:05 PM   #6
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

If you use AYC (Alaskan yellow cedar) you don't need to seal unless you want am epoxy finish.

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 02:49 PM   #7
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

CPES, a very thin 2 part epoxy is another option.

" Choose Life "
justplugit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 12:03 PM   #8
WadingWill

Would envirotex work? Or is that too thick for the first sealing before painting and more of a finish coating?
Old 12-30-2007, 12:11 PM   #9
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Guy's thin it and seal with it. They heat the plug up and seal with it too. So many people use so many different things for each operation that it can make your head spin after a while. Each has pluses and minuses. You have to find something you are comfortable with and stick with it or you will drive your self crazy and spending a lot of time and cash chasing down each technique. I wish there was one simple answer but unfortunately there is not, at least none I have seen.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
Old 12-30-2007, 12:23 PM   #10
WadingWill

I can see that there are so many different techniques, but you guys have pointed me in the right direction. Now I'll just have to use some trial and error to figure out what works for me. Thanks for the info.
Old 12-30-2007, 12:26 PM   #11
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Quote:
Originally Posted by WadingWill View Post
Now I'll just have to use some trial and error to figure out what works for me. Thanks for the info.

Thats the ticket. Good luck, let us know how you made out and most important have FUN

Old 12-30-2007, 12:58 PM   #12
Pete F.
Canceled

I'll tell you what I currently do
I use Boiled linseed oil and paint thinner in a roughly 50/50 mixture.
I dip one end of the plug and then stick a wire in it and dip the other end.
I hang it and let it drip.
I sometimes wipe them off a few hours later, (THROW THE RAG AWAY AFTER YOU DO THIS) if I don't I just use a scotchbrite pad on them later to get the gummy part off.
I wait a week, very patiently. (If it's something that you want to know if it works, wire it up and go test it)
I prime with grey rattle can primer
I paint with rattle cans, start with white and black
I paint some yellow but they get painted white first.
I give some a squirt of red under the chin.
Epoxy is a pain in the butt, so I spray with clear rattlecan stuff.
For your first plugs I would'nt bother with Epoxy. They hold up pretty well without it and it's a pain in the butt(You may enjoy the pox, I don't)
Now there are no guarantees in my method but,
I do guarantee you that if you talk to all the guys on here you will not find the Holy Grail of Plugbuilding, unless they have been holding out on me

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Pete F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 10:55 PM   #13
Krispy

F the boiled linseed 50-40-60 whatever stuff. Takes too long, wreaks havoc on paints/primers, its dangerous, etc. There is PLENTY of off the shelf products that are far more reliable and viable at your local hardware. I use a minwax sealer, Clear Sheild maybe, cut w/ mineral spirits and japan dryer for a thinner consistency. Just my preference
Dump a quart into a 5gal bucket, add 30 plugs, close lid, slosh for 5min, wipe and hang to dry, ready to paint the next day.
I have many plugs in the bags of other fishermen and I bet not one of my lures has cracked a finish
Cheers

PS. This is a Holy Grail tip

Sooner or later you're going to realize just as I did that there's a difference between knowing the path and walking the path. - Morpheus
Krispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 06:54 AM   #14
WadingWill

I'll try these out. Thanks again for the info guys!!!! Happy new year!!!
Old 12-31-2007, 08:22 AM   #15
johnny ducketts
><(((°> ><((( °> ><(((°>

Thanks, krispy I think I'll be trying that, now I just gotta get 30 plug bodies done