Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » Ice Fishing

Ice Fishing Fishing Hardwater

Old 01-22-2018, 08:36 AM   #1
Rockfish9

Wind...Whites and wiley E coyote

Got to my fishing destination at daybreak... I was targeting white perch and the area is a 50' deep hole in close proximity to a decent sized brook...
The run to the spot is about 2 miles down the bay from where I park and I have to go around a small island along the way... as I rounded the corner I could see a lot of bird activity in the sky... simular to what we see on the ocean during a blitz..I could see 3 coyotes scampering around chasing Eagles that were trying to land sometimes doubling back to jump in the air at them... as I drew nearer the noise of the 4 wheeler was enough to send the 3 of them into the woods.. this is the scene I came up[on... gruesome to say the least... the story was written in the fresh snow that had fallen the night before... the smell of fresh meat permeated the air...two adult and 2 juvenile eagles stayed with the remains all day... I left at 3 not want to be between the predators and what was left of their kill at night fall...
I set up across the tip of the drop off about 1/2 mile from the carcass... My tip ups were set in water from 27' to 52 feet 2' above the bottom baited with pin shiners... despite the fierce wind ( other guys on the lake left before noon)which toped out with gusts of 40mph... I was able to eek out a decent catch... I ended the day with 13 white perch... 2 small mouth 1 small pickerel and more 4" yellow perch than I cared to count...most of the whites were in 37 - 42'of water... I didn't dare set up my single person hut to follow the white perch schools for fear of bending the pop up structure and I had the 3 man hub set up over 47'.. I never had anything hit the jig or even show even though I did see some bait fish on the screen of the Lowrance hook 4
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180120_072330_resized.jpg (94.4 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg 20180120_072317_resized.jpg (77.7 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg 20180120_115838_resized.jpg (125.4 KB, 26 views)

A good run is better than a bad stand!
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 08:37 AM   #2
Rockfish9

a few more pictures from the day
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180120_130440_resized.jpg (152.8 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg 20180120_135646_resized.jpg (139.5 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg 20180120_144821_resized.jpg (252.9 KB, 30 views)

Old 01-22-2018, 05:17 PM   #3
Guppy
User

Sounds like a great day on the ice, congrats

Do you skin the whites? And pan fry
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 05:34 PM   #4
Rockfish9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy View Post
Sounds like a great day on the ice, congrats

Do you skin the whites? And pan fry
Yes...what I do is used an electric fillet knife..cut behind the head down to the spine cutting off the rib cage all but stop just short of slicing through at the tail fold the fillet skin side down so it faces away..then I cut around the rib cage..but not slicing through the skin..then run the knife between the meat iand the skin.starting at the tail using the carcass to hod the fillet .I can do a 1 lb white in about 30 seconds...dip and egg..dredge in panko..evert bit as good as haddock. ..Nancy is frying as i.type this
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Old 01-22-2018, 08:15 PM   #5
Sea Dangles

Sounds great Joe.
Tony O came up to join me on Saturday and we had flags all day long. Sunday was slow as could be,same pond but different catching results.
Sea Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 08:34 PM   #6
Rockfish9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
Sounds great Joe.
Tony O came up to join me on Saturday and we had flags all day long. Sunday was slow as could be,same pond but different catching results.
funny how that works out...It was very windy with 40 mph gusts as the warm front approached..action was good..I didn't fish yesterday but have witnessed exactly what you are talking about. ..I fish big lakes with healthy smelt populations...so the fish follow the bait...but fronts and moon phase definitely affect the bite. .