Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 10-19-2012, 09:17 AM   #31
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piscator View Post
I'm no Obama fan but I disagree with the above. I think they are passionate for how they see things (even if they are wrong). I don't view them as evil though as I think that is a far stretch. Just my opinion.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Here is why I think you are wrong. They dion't really believe that the word 'binder' is sexist, no one is that irrational. But they are willing to go there and shriek that it's sexist, just to get their guy elected. It's unbelievably dishonest. If Obama said the same exact thing, he's be the greatest feminist since Susan B Anthony.

They don't believe what they are saying. But they are terrified and desperate.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:28 AM   #32
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackbass View Post
Sorry but did you miss Candy stating she was wrong when interviewed by Anderson Cooper post debate.
No she didn't, she restated her assertion during the debate which was accurate. Obama did indeed refer to the attack as an act of terror and it also did take two weeks for the Administration to clearly state it was planned by insurgents and not purely spontaneous.

Quote:
The administrations story has many holes that still need to be filled. The fact is Obama had no idea what happened in Libya and used a bogus excuse blaming a citizen of the US for putting out a video on Islam. They toed that line for two weeks prior to facts being leaked(pure speculation)
Everything I've read indicates the initial reporting from the scene was that the attack was a response to the video. As the investigation began they appear to have collected evidence that more substantial arms were used signaling it was an attack coordinated by a local militia. There are still some who believe it might have been both...the conservative militia saw the staged outrage on 9/11 from the video and decided to attack.

The only big mistake I see in their story was that Rice wasn't briefed with the latest intel before she went on the Sunday talk shows. I believe they let it sit for a while after that to make sure they had a clearer picture. They certainly could have handled this better, but to claim vast conspiracy is just lame politics.

WYSIATI

-spence
Old 10-19-2012, 11:42 AM   #33
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
No she didn't, she restated her assertion during the debate which was accurate. Obama did indeed refer to the attack as an act of terror and it also did take two weeks for the Administration to clearly state it was planned by insurgents and not purely spontaneous.

Everything I've read indicates the initial reporting from the scene was that the attack was a response to the video. As the investigation began they appear to have collected evidence that more substantial arms were used signaling it was an attack coordinated by a local militia. There are still some who believe it might have been both...the conservative militia saw the staged outrage on 9/11 from the video and decided to attack.

The only big mistake I see in their story was that Rice wasn't briefed with the latest intel before she went on the Sunday talk shows. I believe they let it sit for a while after that to make sure they had a clearer picture. They certainly could have handled this better, but to claim vast conspiracy is just lame politics.

WYSIATI

-spence
"Obama did indeed refer to the attack as an act of terror "

Please post where he specifically referred to the Bengazi attack as an act of terror in the Rose Garden speech. He made general statements about "acts of terror", and one could reasonably infer he was talking about that specific attack. But he most crtainly did not specifically call that attack an act of terror, not in the next day's Rose Garden speech.

"Everything I've read indicates the initial reporting from the scene was that the attack was a response to the video"

Then you need to re-think where you're getting your infornmation. You might want to cast the net wider than the Obama Fan Club newsletter.

"The only big mistake I see in their story was that Rice wasn't briefed with the latest intel before she went on the Sunday talk shows"

Days after the attack, Jay Carney said there was no evidence that it was anything other than a response to the video. Obama connected teh attack and the video on Letterman, and at the UN.

Spence, you're entitled to your own opinions. You are not entitled to yoru own facts.

I also want to know (as was asked in the debate, which Obama dodged completely) who rejected the request for additional security, and why? Read the transcript of how completely he refused to even come close to answering the question.
Old 10-19-2012, 12:08 PM   #34
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Please post where he specifically referred to the Bengazi attack as an act of terror in the Rose Garden speech. He made general statements about "acts of terror", and one could reasonably infer he was talking about that specific attack. But he most crtainly did not specifically call that attack an act of terror, not in the next day's Rose Garden speech.
Jim, Seriously?

4 Americans are killed and the President comes forth to make a public statement that “No acts of terror will ever shake the resolve of this great nation, alter that character, or eclipse the light of the values that we stand for.” He said it later that night and again the next day.

What else do you think he could have been talking about?

Quote:
Then you need to re-think where you're getting your infornmation. You might want to cast the net wider than the Obama Fan Club newsletter.
There was a good write up in the NYTimes Monday, I guess they just made it all up.

Quote:
To Libyans who witnessed the assault and know the attackers, there is little doubt what occurred: a well-known group of local Islamist militants struck the United States Mission without any warning or protest, and they did it in retaliation for the video. That is what the fighters said at the time, speaking emotionally of their anger at the video without mentioning Al Qaeda, Osama bin Laden or the terrorist strikes of 11 years earlier.

....The fighters said at the time that they were moved to act because of the video, which had first gained attention across the region after a protest in Egypt that day. The assailants approvingly recalled a 2006 assault by local Islamists that had destroyed an Italian diplomatic mission in Benghazi over a perceived insult to the prophet. In June the group staged a similar attack against the Tunisian Consulate over a different film, according to the Congressional testimony of the American security chief at the time, Eric A. Nordstrom.
Hey, just in case you didn't read what I just posted...here's the last sentence again...

Quote:
The assailants approvingly recalled a 2006 assault by local Islamists that had destroyed an Italian diplomatic mission in Benghazi over a perceived insult to the prophet. In June the group staged a similar attack against the Tunisian Consulate over a different film, according to the Congressional testimony of the American security chief at the time, Eric A. Nordstrom.
And just to be sure we have our facts straight, here's the actual testimony from Rep. Issa's House Oversight investigation.

Quote:
REP. RAUL LABRADOR (R-ID): I just have a quick question for Lieutenant Colonel Wood and Mr. Nordstrom. Given the information that you saw on TV and your knowledge of the situation in Libya, did you come to a conclusion as to whether this was a terrorist act or whether it was based on some film that was on the Internet?

[...]

NORDSTROM: The -- the first impression that I had was that it was going to be something similar to one of the brigades that we saw there, specifically the -- the brigade -- and it's been named in the press -- that came to my mind was Ansar al-Sharia.

It was a -- a unit or a group that Lieutenant Colonel Wood's personnel and I had -- had tracked for quite some time, we were concerned about. That specific group had been involved in a similar but obviously much smaller scale incident at the end of June involving the Tunisian consulate in Benghazi where they stormed that facility and it was in protest to what they claimed was an anti-Islamic film in Tunis. [House Oversight Committee hearing on consulate security in Benghazi, 10/11/12, via Nexis]
Go ahead, blast the American Security Chief as not having a clue. Perhaps you can even toss a few petty insults along the way...

Quote:
Days after the attack, Jay Carney said there was no evidence that it was anything other than a response to the video. Obama connected teh attack and the video on Letterman, and at the UN.
And on Letterman he called them terrorists again...connected the attack to the video? See Congressional testimony from the House Oversight investigation.

I've conveniently copied it into this post above.

Quote:
I also want to know (as was asked in the debate, which Obama dodged completely) who rejected the request for additional security, and why? Read the transcript of how completely he refused to even come close to answering the question.
As they say in political debates, if you're explaining you're losing.

-spence
Old 10-19-2012, 12:31 PM   #35
Piscator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Here is why I think you are wrong. They dion't really believe that the word 'binder' is sexist, no one is that irrational. But they are willing to go there and shriek that it's sexist, just to get their guy elected. It's unbelievably dishonest. If Obama said the same exact thing, he's be the greatest feminist since Susan B Anthony.

They don't believe what they are saying. But they are terrified and desperate.
Ok, I agree it is dishonest, I guess my point is I don't view them as Evil.

"I know a taxidermy man back home. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him!"
Old 10-19-2012, 12:36 PM   #36
spence

The word binder isn't sexist, it's the commodification of the women you put in it that's mildly sexist.

I'd also like to note that I'm usually the one cooking dinner and nobody seems to care about my work schedule

-spence
Old 10-19-2012, 01:05 PM   #37
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Send a message via AIM to likwid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
Spence - would you please refrain from being the apologist spokeswoman for the Obama campaign - Pretty please with sugar on top?
JohnR - would you please delete this forum so it can go back to the way it once was? if people want to argue, they can go to the "other place". This forum has become no better.

ps:

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 10-19-2012, 01:09 PM   #38
spence

You forgot the best one

-spence
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clinton-Binders-of-Women.jpg
Views:	414
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	53349  
Old 10-19-2012, 01:11 PM   #39
likwid
lobster = striper bait

I saw that one but its been beaten into facebook and everywhere else.

Just to giggle again

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 10-19-2012, 01:22 PM   #40
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Can someone answer this question.
Prior to his presidency, has Obama ever been in positon to hire anyone? Serioulsy, has he?

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 10-19-2012, 01:26 PM   #41
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
Can someone answer this question.
Prior to his presidency, has Obama ever been in positon to hire anyone? Serioulsy, has he?

this is for you jimmy:

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 10-19-2012, 01:31 PM   #42
spence

Ok, that last one is the best

-spence
Old 10-19-2012, 01:59 PM   #43
Mr. Sandman

Spence et al,

You amaze me on how you can spin "binder" into some sexist comment...You know what he meant. He meant he had a list of many women that were eligible for his cabinet, so many the staff put them in a notebook. But the dems see everything for the political soundbites. Romney doesn't have a sexist attitude toward anyone and you now it. He is probably the kindest man that has done more for others (including women) as an individual than anyone who has ever ran for the office. Did you watch the RNC? Did you hear what others said he did to help them? I saw some of the political pundits who are strong dems who were moved from some of the testimony presented. Beyond giving 30% of his (serious )income to charities, he has really given a lot of his time for others. Far beyond what all dems have done combined who ran for office. He is a real humble gentleman because he does not boast about it. And further, he really does not want others to talk about it because he what he does for others is between him and them. He does not need to inform the public of his good deeds. The dems love this aspect because they have no one who measure up what they have done personally. It is not what he has done with his money.

Frankly the world would be a far better place if we had more people like him around.

Obama is nothing but a facade. He is just not the best man for the job. He doesn't have the background and his track record sucks and he has done jack squat for others on a personal level. Yes he is morally a decent man, far more a better man than Clinton but he is not the right man to turn america around economically. Handouts (or as he calls it "investments") to the poor will not cut it any longer.
Old 10-19-2012, 02:49 PM   #44
Bronko

These cute little attacks and social media memes are part and parcel with a desperate campaign.... it is slipping away from the annointed one and they know it.

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan
Old 10-19-2012, 02:52 PM   #45
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronko View Post
These cute little attacks and social media memes are part and parcel with a desperate campaign.... it is slipping away from the annointed one and they know it.

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 10-19-2012, 02:58 PM   #46
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

not mad, just disappointed and slightly amused. Like when a 5 yr old tells you a funny, creative lie

Old 10-19-2012, 03:12 PM   #47
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sandman View Post
Spence et al,

You amaze me on how you can spin "binder" into some sexist comment...You know what he meant. He meant he had a list of many women that were eligible for his cabinet, so many the staff put them in a notebook. But the dems see everything for the political soundbites.
The reason the comment was memorable is that Romney, when trying to talk about the value to women actually spoke about them like a commodity.

Some people are obviously hypersensitive to this and for others it just sounded odd.

Hence my label of mildly sexist. Combined with his remark about getting home to cook dinner did make him sound a bit out of touch. I don't think he's a sexist person but likely a bit fuddy on matters of sex.

Personally I find the notion that he fabricated the story far more troubling.

-spence

Last edited by spence; 10-19-2012 at 03:31 PM..
Old 10-19-2012, 03:27 PM   #48
buckman

[QUOTE=spence;964332]

Personally I find the notion that he fabricated story far more troubling.

-spence[/

You are killing me .....stop
Old 10-19-2012, 03:33 PM   #49
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post

You are killing me .....stop
Don't you?

-spence
Old 10-19-2012, 03:45 PM   #50
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Don't you?

-spence
yes spence, some democrat nobody in MA is crying about it in the media but lets see what Romney's sideman (oops, side woman) as governor had to say about it.
who you going to believe???

Mitt Romney’s female ex-lieutenant governor took a swipe on Thursday at criticism of the GOP nominee’s comment during the debate that he had “binders full of women” while he was staffing up as governor of Massachusetts.

“I … think this is so ironic because it’s given us an opportunity to talk about one of the great strengths of Gov. Romney during his time in office, which was that he did want to bring women’s voices into government, that he did have half of the women in his top appointed positions, right there with him,” said Kerry Healey, the former lieutenant governor of Massachusetts who served with Romney.

Her comments came in the wake of an explosion, on Twitter and beyond, of memes and jokes jabbing Romney for his “binders” comment. But Healey, who was interviewed on Fox News’s “America’s Newsroom with Bill Hemmer and Martha MacCallum,” said she didn’t find Romney’s comments eyebrow-raising.

“I was the person he asked to be liaison to the group that had collected those résumés for us,” Healey said. “So I had spent hours poring over the résumés of the women contained in those binders. I knew exactly what he was talking about.”

Old 10-19-2012, 04:04 PM   #51
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
yes spence, some democrat nobody in MA is crying about it in the media but lets see what Romney's sideman (oops, side woman) as governor had to say about it.
who you going to believe???
Actually, I believe she was with MassGAP and led the bi-partisan effort to promote qualified women regardless of which party was elected.

-spence
Old 10-19-2012, 04:45 PM   #52
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Just a note on MassGAP etc....

Quote:
Women made up only 25 percent of the 64 new appointments Romney made. By the end of his term, the number of women in high-ranking positions was slightly lower than it was before Romney took office.

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 10-19-2012, 05:21 PM   #53
JohnnyD

Quote:
The reason the comment was memorable is that Romney, when trying to talk about the value to women actually spoke about them like a commodity.
"If you say something and there are two ways that it could possibly be interpreted, women will always choose the one that pisses you off."
This quote I posted earlier in the thread is even more relevant here...

This bs pedantic scrutiny of every word that comes out of the mouths of all public figures is getting rather ridiculous.

People think there's too much splitting of hairs with regards to word-choice in this Political Forum. Broaden that to the rest of the country analyzing word-choice as opposed to intention, and every single one of us would spend more of our days apologizing for using the wrong vocabulary as opposed to getting anything accomplish.

Every single person knows what Romney meant.

It's ridiculous when people do it to Romney and it's just as ridiculous when it'd done to Obama.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:45 PM   #54
Fly Rod

Spence gets P O'd because he has to do the dishes after working all day.....
Old 10-20-2012, 07:16 AM   #55
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
This bs pedantic scrutiny of every word that comes out of the mouths of all public figures is getting rather ridiculous.
Although the reactions to bored kids (sorry, political campaigns aren't that good with photoshops) making ridiculous memes out of them are just too goddamn awesome. I've never seen such outrage.

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 10-20-2012, 07:36 AM   #56
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
I think you're missing the point...

Does Romney 'get' women who work? - CNN.com

-spence
Old 10-20-2012, 07:38 AM   #57
Jim in CT

Spence - In my post, I suggested that one coule reasonably conclude that Obama was erferring to the Bengazi attack in the Rose Garden. It was the very next day, so there's no reason he was assuming to anything else. Fair enough?

HOWEVER. For the next 2 weeks, everything we heard from the administration (be it Obama, Jay Carney, or Ambassador Rice) were specific claims that it was not an act of terror. Soence, it is one thing to say "we aren't going to speculate until the facts are known" - that would be reasonable. But Obama and his team made several specific, affirmative statements, that there was "no evidence" that the attack was anything other than a spontaneous response to the video.

That's what they sais again, and again, and again. And we now know with a 100% certainty that's not true. All of the intelligence reports indicated that it certainly was an act of terror. Despite your claim that Ambassador Stevense contributed to his own death due to his "false sense of security", we now Know for for certain that Stevens expressed concern about the reduced security.

I'll concede Obama was referring to the attack (vaguely) as an act of terror in teh Rose Garden. However, in the next 2 weeks, he said that it wasn't an act of terror. We've seen videos of his saying it was a response to the video.

I'm not saying he changed his tune to dodge responsibility for the screw-up in security levels. But asking that, is a fair question. And when Obama was asked that question at the debate (who rejected requests for more security, and why), his answer was that the diplomats are heroes who do hard work.

Obama isn't doing anything to give this the appearance that it's not a cover up. This will hurt him dearly in the next debate.

As I have said repeatedly, I give Obama an 'A' for killing terrorists, I thinhk it's his best accomplishment. Thus, the foreign policy debate should have been the arena where he had the greatest advantage. He shot himself in the foot right before the debate, and opened the dooe to very valid (in fact, necessary) questions about whether or not anyone in his administration is on the ball when it comes to foreign policy.

When Ambassador Rice did the Sunday shows, and Obama was at the UN, everyone in the world knew it was a terrorist attack. But the administration specifically denied that.

You go ahead, and try making that wrong.
Old 10-20-2012, 08:03 AM   #58
scottw

Quote:

-spence
that would be working WAY too hard to make an absurd point...
Old 10-20-2012, 08:29 AM   #59
Piscator

Quote:

-spence
Ask Jane Swift.......

"I know a taxidermy man back home. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him!"
Old 10-20-2012, 09:40 AM   #60
Jackbass
Land OF Forgotten Toys

Much ado about nothing still. Makes the campaign and coverage of it look like a joke. That is what happens when people are desperate and exposed.