Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 11-17-2013, 01:12 PM   #31
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmer View Post
Time is fairly unbiased. If it leans any way its right of center.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
One of their respected, senior editors was Jay Carney, now the spokesperson for the Obama administration.

TIME is about as right-leaning as the New York Times. An unabashed, unapologetic, left-leaning, pro big-government, anti free market, hooray-for-abortion,liberal propaganda rag.

Which is why it's failing miserably.
Old 11-17-2013, 01:13 PM   #32
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Not according to Jim.
n

Not according to anybody with a shred of intellectual honesty.
Old 11-17-2013, 01:33 PM   #33
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
One of their respected, senior editors was Jay Carney, now the spokesperson for the Obama administration.

TIME is about as right-leaning as the New York Times. An unabashed, unapologetic, left-leaning, pro big-government, anti free market, hooray-for-abortion,liberal propaganda rag.

Which is why it's failing miserably.
Actually it's the most widely circulated weekly news magazine in the world.

If anything is declining its because of the digital media shift.
Old 11-17-2013, 01:55 PM   #34
Jim in CT

Quote:
Time is being run by Henry Grunwald for decades, longtime republican donor and benefactor. He was appointed amb. To Austria under Reagan. The only thing liberal about him is his daughter Mandi, who is tight with Our Miss Warren. I actually chatted with him briefly on the phone once around "85". He owns three homes on the beach in front of Tashmoo. Time is fairly unbiased. If it leans any way its right of center.
I'll respectfully disagree. Joel Klein is their to political writer I think? He's as liberal as it gets.

Who are the conservative writers on staff at TIME?

Jay carney?
Old 11-17-2013, 03:15 PM   #35
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Not according to Jim.
Every publication has people that have liberal or conservative views. They can be controlled to a certain degree, but the main objective is pleasing the stockholders

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Old 11-17-2013, 03:16 PM   #36
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
I'll respectfully disagree. Joel Klein is their to political writer I think? He's as liberal as it gets.

Who are the conservative writers on staff at TIME?

Jay carney?
Jim, I wouldn't know, but I can tell you who is the ceo, and which side of home base he swings from.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Old 11-18-2013, 12:14 AM   #37
scottw

Quote:
Time is being run by Henry Grunwald for decades. Time is fairly unbiased. If it leans any way its right of center.

Jim, I wouldn't know, but I can tell you who is the ceo, and which side of home base he swings from.

he's been dead since 2005...

you can't name any right leaning writers because TIME doesn't have any of note...Ramesh Ponnuru as a contributor I guess .....but has... and has had many famously left leaning writers and staff of which and I'd be happy to name a whole slew, this, of course, means unbiased and probably right of center by any standard...right? good grief.....

HOWARD KURTZ, HOST: Rick, you've just hired Fareed Zakaria, whose "GPS" program on CNN precedes mine. And you have, of course, Joe Klein, well-known liberal writer and columnist.

Now, with all the hiring that you've done, how have you not managed to find a conservative columnist?

RICHARD STENGEL, TIME EDITOR-IN-CHIEF: I would love to find one.

On September 12th, 2013 Stengel announced that he was be stepping down from his role as Time's managing editor in order to serve as Under Secretary of State for Public Diplomacy and Public Affairs for President Barack Obama's cabinet.[

this is fascinating...from Stengel's WIKI bio

"The book has drawn praise from President Bill Clinton, Deepak Chopra, and Harvard's Henry Louis Gates Jr"

Henry Gates?....where do I know that name from????....small world....

"Time Senior Writer Nancy Gibbs, who recently compared Obama in Time to a prince born in a manger, championed Obama’s breaking the chains of religious conservatism in American life. His ascent marked "a growing consensus that something had gone wrong, that the phenomenon of politicians nailing campaign posters on the gates of heaven and laying exclusive claims to God’s designs was unwise, unfair, even unholy."

She even transformed Obama into a secular savior, leading "the kind of mass revivals that used to sweep across the prairie and set souls on fire... Obama was busy building a new church, looking for the seekers, those who had lost their faith in politics or never had any in the first place, and he invited them home."

Nancy Gibbs is now TIME's managing editor

Last edited by scottw; 11-18-2013 at 07:33 AM..
Old 11-18-2013, 08:42 AM   #38
Jim in CT

Quote:
I don't know anything of the gentleman of whom you speak. But consider...

(1) political affiiations change. Joe Lieberman was Al Gore's VP pick in 2000. In 2008, he spoke at the Republican National Convention. Colin Powell was SecState under Bush, now he is a committed liberal.

(2) I don't feel you can read any 2 consecutive issues of that magazine (not since 2005 at least), and deny that it's very left-leaning. No magazine that claims to be anywhere near the center would have Joel Klein on staff, nor would they refer to Gov Christie as an elephant on the cover.

There is almnost no balance to that magazine. You'd need Rush Limbaugh on staff to balance Joel Klein, and they don't have that.

'Balance' means exactly what we think it means. For a magazine to be balanced, that means it gioves as much ink to conservatives as it does to liberals. TIME is nowhere near that.
Old 11-18-2013, 09:58 AM   #39
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post

She even transformed Obama into a secular savior, leading "the kind of mass revivals that used to sweep across the prairie and set souls on fire... Obama was busy building a new church, looking for the seekers, those who had lost their faith in politics or never had any in the first place, and he invited them home."

Nancy Gibbs is now TIME's managing editor
Sounds about as neutral, or right-leaning, as Chris Matthews getting a thrill up his leg.

That's centrist reporting all right, that's straddling the fence without giving readers a clue as to which side you personally prefer.

Yeesh.

What's the right-wing equivalent of that garbage? Seriously? Has anyone at the National Review ever printed anything so embarassing? Gibbs is like a 12 year old girl writing about some pop star for God's sake.

Good lord. Blech!

For TIME to be balanced, to offset that crap, they'd need Mark Levin, Michael Savage, and Sean Hannity on staff, at least.