Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

     

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container
 

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-15-2016, 12:21 PM   #91
PaulS
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
PaulS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 6,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
There is a world of difference between...

(1) the GOP thinking they can win without the black vote, and
(2) the GOP introducing voting laws that are specifically designed to suppress the black vote.

#1 is not racist. You specifically accused the GOP, of #2. Trying to deny US citizens their constitutional rights based on skin color, could not be more racist.
The judge stated that #2 is exactly what the results of law were - to suppress the black vote.

Last edited by PaulS; 09-15-2016 at 12:28 PM..
PaulS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 12:28 PM   #92
Jim in CT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 8,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
The judge stated that #2 is exactly what they did.
But my point is, you are now saying that #2 isn't racist.

You accused the GOP of trying to deny blacks the right to vote. Then, you claim that you never said the GOP was racist. Therefore, that necessarily means that you don't consider it racist, to try to deny blacks the right to vote.
Jim in CT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 12:51 PM   #93
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator
iTrader: (0)
 
The Dad Fisherman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Georgetown MA
Posts: 16,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
The judge stated that #2 is exactly what the results of law were - to suppress the black vote.
Can you show me where the judge stated that his ruling was made because it suppressed the black vote.

...and please don't say go look it up myself. because you already know where it is and should easily be able to go "Here ya Go"

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 12:53 PM   #94
PaulS
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
PaulS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 6,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
But my point is, you are now saying that #2 isn't racist.

Where did I say 1 way or the other whether it is racist or not?

You accused the GOP of trying to deny blacks the right to vote. That is what I believe that real reason for the law was absense any real fraud Then, you claim that you never said the GOP was racist.I said there was some racism within the birther movement. You're the one who blew the racism whistle (and before the birther movement was even brought up.) Therefore, that necessarily means that you don't consider it racist, to try to deny blacks the right to vote.
nm
PaulS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 01:21 PM   #95
Jim in CT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 8,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
nm
"Where did I say 1 way or the other whether it is racist or not?"

OK, I'll try to go slow...

First you said this: ""you can't tell me that those Repub. Legisl. put those restrictions in for any other reason than to keep minorities from being able to vote"

Then you said this: "Can you pls. point out where I accused conservatives of racism?"

Put those two statements together. What you said was, (1) the GOP is trying to suppress the black vote, and (2) you never said the GOP was racist.

If you didn't call them racist, that means that you don't think what they did, was racist.
Jim in CT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 01:24 PM   #96
Jim in CT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 8,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
Can you show me where the judge stated that his ruling was made because it suppressed the black vote.

...and please don't say go look it up myself. because you already know where it is and should easily be able to go "Here ya Go"
There are judges who have said that it suppresses the black vote. Non of them say how it does so.

It probably does suppress the black vote. But not because of their skin color, but rather, because more of them freely choose not to get the id. That's their choice, it's not forced upon them, and therefore not racist.
Jim in CT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 01:57 PM   #97
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator
iTrader: (0)
 
The Dad Fisherman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Georgetown MA
Posts: 16,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
There are judges who have said that it suppresses the black vote. Non of them say how it does so.
I'd be curious to see if that actual judge worded it that way in the ruling, or went with the term "Disenfranchised Voter"

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 03:53 PM   #98
Jim in CT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 8,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
I'd be curious to see if that actual judge worded it that way in the ruling, or went with the term "Disenfranchised Voter"
My recollection is that judges specifically said that id laws targeted the suppression of the black vote. Also from memory, their "evidence" was that after voter id laws are enacted, black voting drops more than white votes. The problem is, that doesn't come close to proving causality.

It's not any more racist than the NBA is. If I could shoot and rebound like Lebron, I'd play in that league. Similarly, if blacks choose to get the id, that will secure their voting rights.
Jim in CT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 04:48 PM   #99
buckman
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
buckman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Mansfield
Posts: 4,834
Blog Entries: 1
If poor people are the ones that are prevented from going to the polls due to needing an ID , can't we just make EBT cards with a picture on them?
Anybody out with I shred of honesty will admit that this is not about suppressing black votes this is about suppressing noncitizen votes? You know the ones that shouldnt be voting anyways
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
buckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 06:18 PM   #100
spence
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
spence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: RI
Posts: 18,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
Anybody out with I shred of honesty will admit that this is not about suppressing black votes this is about suppressing noncitizen votes? You know the ones that shouldnt be voting anyways
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
This is really nonsensical I've never even heard it before. I think Buck is synthesizing conspiracy theories.

Interesting.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 07:01 PM   #101
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator
iTrader: (0)
 
The Dad Fisherman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Georgetown MA
Posts: 16,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
This is really nonsensical I've never even heard it before. I think Buck is synthesizing conspiracy theories.

Interesting.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
So it's a conspiracy theory if it's to suppress the non-citizen vote......but it's Racism if it's to suppress the black vote?

Interesting.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 07:35 PM   #102
spence
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
spence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: RI
Posts: 18,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
So it's a conspiracy theory if it's to suppress the non-citizen vote......but it's Racism if it's to suppress the black vote?

Interesting.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Yea, because there's so much evidence of non citizens voting to sway elections.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 07:44 PM   #103
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator
iTrader: (0)
 
The Dad Fisherman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Georgetown MA
Posts: 16,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Yea, because there's so much evidence of non citizens voting to sway elections.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
And there's so much evidence of blacks who can't get an ID that don't vote....
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 07:50 PM   #104
buckman
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
buckman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Mansfield
Posts: 4,834
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
And there's so much evidence of blacks who can't get an ID that don't vote....
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
I don't think there's any evidence that requiring an ID with suppress any American citizens ability to vote . If I can recall last time we had this discussion , the only confirmed individual ,that could possibly be affected , that Spence could come up with ,was his mother ...I think
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
buckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin. Copyright 2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Please use all necessary and proper safety precautions. STAY SAFE Striper Talk Forums
Copyright 1998-20012 Striped-Bass.com