Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 09-10-2008, 08:01 AM   #1
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Big Day for the Dems!

So Obama makes a comment about change, putting lipstick on a pig....which the audience took as a reference to Palin
then Biden asks Chuck Graham to stand up so everyone can see him, and Graham is in a wheelchair.

Good judgement by both of the Dem candidates!

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 09-10-2008, 08:08 AM   #2
spence

They should call bull%$%$%$%$ on the lipstick comment, I watched the tape and it was no big deal...at the same time McCain is running ads where they're literally just making stuff up, then blaming the media for being biased when they report it's all bull.

Didn't see the Biden gaff, but I'm sure his smile could disarm

-spence
Old 09-10-2008, 08:26 AM   #3
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

I agree the Obama comment wasnt intentional, its still funny though and he should have been able to predict the interpretation.

Old 09-10-2008, 08:28 AM   #4
EarnedStripes44

We all need to just lighten up. No harm in cracking a joke or too. No offense to the hockey moms, but if you put lipstick on a pitbull, its still a pitbull aint it.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:46 AM   #5
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

then theres this! the audacity of hope!

He almost wrecked Barack Obama's presidential dreams, and now firebrand pastor Jeremiah Wright has helped destroy a Dallas church worker's marriage - and her job, The Post has learned.

Elizabeth Payne, 37, said she had a steamy sexual affair with the controversial, racially divisive man of the cloth while she was an executive assistant at a church headed by a popular Wright protégé.

When word of the unholy alliance got out, Payne's husband dumped her, and she was canned from the plum job at Friendship-West Baptist Church, she told The Post.

Old 09-10-2008, 09:22 AM   #6
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
then theres this! the audacity of hope!

He almost wrecked Barack Obama's presidential dreams, and now firebrand pastor Jeremiah Wright has helped destroy a Dallas church worker's marriage - and her job, The Post has learned.

Elizabeth Payne, 37, said she had a steamy sexual affair with the controversial, racially divisive man of the cloth while she was an executive assistant at a church headed by a popular Wright protégé.

When word of the unholy alliance got out, Payne's husband dumped her, and she was canned from the plum job at Friendship-West Baptist Church, she told The Post.
Who cares?

-spence
Old 09-10-2008, 09:57 AM   #7
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Who cares?

-spence
I look at the process as a court case, each candidate enter evidence into the case, once they do, its open game. Plains family for example. She brought them on stage, she announced her daughters pregnancy, its open game.

Obama has used his church as a majort influence in his life. He has noted his pastor as a spiritual influence and good family friend.

Secondly, one of Obama's key points for his candidacy is "Judgement"
This is based on his one vote against the Iraq war.

So, Wright and Obama's judgement are open game.
If Obamas judgement is so good, even from a political, if not personal stance, how could he be involved with a racist, extremist pastor who is also cheating on his wife? Just like in a court case, it raises doubts about Obama's judgement.

How well will he just Iran's leaders? Russias?

Old 09-10-2008, 10:23 AM   #8
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

WOW, I'm glad you brought this to my attention....i am definitely NOT going to vote for Wright come November.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 09-10-2008, 10:42 AM   #9
spence

Quote:
I look at the process as a court case, each candidate enter evidence into the case, once they do, its open game. Plains family for example. She brought them on stage, she announced her daughters pregnancy, its open game.

Obama has used his church as a majort influence in his life. He has noted his pastor as a spiritual influence and good family friend.

Secondly, one of Obama's key points for his candidacy is "Judgement"
This is based on his one vote against the Iraq war.

So, Wright and Obama's judgement are open game.
If Obamas judgement is so good, even from a political, if not personal stance, how could he be involved with a racist, extremist pastor who is also cheating on his wife? Just like in a court case, it raises doubts about Obama's judgement.

How well will he just Iran's leaders? Russias?
So Obama's libel for something he had nothing to do with and knew nothing about?

Wow, those are pretty tough standards to live by.

I heard Palin's first dude is a world champion snow machine racer.

-spence
Old 09-10-2008, 11:17 AM   #10
striperman36
Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
So Obama's libel for something he had nothing to do with and knew nothing about?

Wow, those are pretty tough standards to live by.

I heard Palin's first dude is a world champion snow machine racer.

-spence
Are you sure he's her first dude? National Enquirer begs to differ
Old 09-10-2008, 11:17 AM   #11
spence

Here's the ad the McCain campaign released over the lipstick remark.

This is pretty pathetic stuff, and pretty dishonest. Talk about taking things out of context...

-spence
Old 09-10-2008, 11:38 AM   #12
JohnnyD

It has to be expected that the Rove machine is going to put out a massive smear campaign. While you can respect the Obama campaign for not stooping to such a pathetic level, I think they're only hurting themselves.

Taking the higher more honorable road isn't doing Obama any good. While he's having his call centers request donations for hurricane victims, McCain is flying down for photo ops. While Obama attacks the issues with McCain's policy, McCain attacks out-of-context comments.

At this point, it would be better for similar ads to be out about McCain and Palin and Obama take slack for it, than for them to let this pathetic mudslinging to continue without retaliation.

Right now, the Obama campaign is basically fighting a pack of hyenas with a rock and a stick. They're out-gunned because they won't fire.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:31 PM   #13
Nebe

This country saddens me on a daily basis. why would we ant anyone running our country who would stoop to nasty smear ads??? sad.. truely sad...
Old 09-10-2008, 12:44 PM   #14
JohnnyD

The sad part is that they actually work and are effective.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:56 PM   #15
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

But you're all ok with the Obama add on McCain's houses?
And, dont underestimate the Obama campaign "leaking" info to the press to do their dirty work.

I was waiting for someone to bring "Rove" into this. You guys need a new bag of tricks. The

Old 09-10-2008, 01:04 PM   #16
JohnnyD

New bag of tricks? Any time some mentions the plethora of negative ads from the McCain campaign, the counter response is always "what about the ad about McCain's houses?"

I think Karl Rove should be given 100% credit for the last two elections. The man is a political genius.
Old 09-10-2008, 01:06 PM   #17
spence

Quote:
But you're all ok with the Obama add on McCain's houses?
And, dont underestimate the Obama campaign "leaking" info to the press to do their dirty work.

I was waiting for someone to bring "Rove" into this. You guys need a new bag of tricks. The
The rumor is that Karl Rove is collaborating with the McCain campaign while he's trying to be an independent personality writing for the WSJ etc...

And I don't have a problem with the "houses" ad as it's all factual and does indicate a potential weakness McCain may have dealing with the issue.

Decide for yourself.

-spence
Old 09-10-2008, 01:08 PM   #18
EarnedStripes44

He is providing services to the McCain campaign & the RNC for free. If Barry gets into the whitehouse, Rove his political ploys will concern getting a second helping in the mess hall in Danbury.
Old 09-10-2008, 02:49 PM   #19
buckman

The "Lipstick on a pig" line was intentional and so was the "old fish" line. He can't be that stupid as to unintentionaly use those lines. If he is that stupid then I don't want him negotiating with anyone on our behalf. I don't believe for one second that he didn't use that line as referance to Palin and McCain. Come on Spence, you are showing your true colors on this one.
Old 09-10-2008, 03:32 PM   #20
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
The "Lipstick on a pig" line was intentional and so was the "old fish" line. He can't be that stupid as to unintentionaly use those lines. If he is that stupid then I don't want him negotiating with anyone on our behalf. I don't believe for one second that he didn't use that line as referance to Palin and McCain. Come on Spence, you are showing your true colors on this one.
Of course it was intentional, but irony isn't sexism. I thought it was a pretty witty line...

And the McCain campaign has made in the bed in which they intend to sleep...pander to the GOP incumbent base/say you're going to change washington, call for an end to divisive politics/then do nothing but be divisive, bash Obama for inexperience/choose a VP that has little.

-spence
Old 09-10-2008, 04:25 PM   #21
buckman

We'll let the voters judge who's right on this one. I am going to say most will agree with me.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:13 PM   #22
sokinwet

Last nights "coverage" of the Lipstick on a Pig issue showed three cases where McCain has used the phrase. What's good for the goose.....
Old 09-11-2008, 12:21 PM   #23
spence

It's all noise.

The McCain strategy for victory is pretty clear now.

1) Don't tell the truth
2) Ignore the issues
3) Bank on the culture war to bring out the base

-spence