Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 08-10-2020, 04:34 PM   #1
Guppy
User

DMF

The filling of Com quota’s for several species are way down (again)
Soooo, why put those fish under more pressure ? If stocks are down, lay off!

https://content.govdelivery.com/acco...letins/2998c05
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 04:57 PM   #2
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

That would be smart reasonable and long term management, what are you nuts?
Got Stripers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 10:28 PM   #3
ivanputski
Pete K.

Just emailed... absolutely ridiculous.
ivanputski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 02:13 AM   #4
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Yup, in the final analysis they are going to open the comm season for 7 days. They won't catch anymore in 7 days than they do in 2 days because there is nothing to catch. DMF are the Stupidest bastards on the planet.

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 06:43 AM   #5
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by piemma View Post
Yup, in the final analysis they are going to open the comm season for 7 days. They won't catch anymore in 7 days than they do in 2 days because there is nothing to catch. DMF are the Stupidest bastards on the planet.
Then we'll just need to go to 8 days, or 9.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 08:31 AM   #6
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
Then we'll just need to go to 8 days, or 9.
Amazing logic. Can't fill the quota... add more day.

Old 08-11-2020, 09:54 AM   #7
tlapinski
All up in the Interweb!

How can DMF on the one hand look to open more commercial days to fill the quota while at the same time initiate a release mortality study on circle hooks to better estimate actual harvest numbers with conservation in mind? Here are the details on the study: http://www.thefisherman.com/index.cf...2&ParentCat=19

Maybe I missed it, (and before you read on make it known that I do not feel in any way, shape or form that the SB population is fine and I have never been involved in commercial fishing legally or otherwise) but I rarely see anyone bring up the point that while the commercial harvest isn't being met, year to year it seems like commercial anglers are given less and less legal time on the water between reduced days, reduced bag limits for shore-based anglers, reduced shoreline from which they can legally fish (canal) and so on. I mean, shouldn't perhaps the quota be adjusted for available days on the water? Meaning if there are now only 2/7'ths the legal fishing days as compared to the date range used to generate the quota, then shouldn't the quota be cut by the same value? (I know this isn't reality but it's the kind of thing that pops into my head as I enter the 4th hour of another skunking in the surf.)

Co-Host of The Surfcast Podcast

"Out there in the surf is where it's at, that's where the line gets drawn in the sand between those who talk fishing and those who live it."
- a wise man.

One good fish, a sharpie does not make...

Certified rock hopping billy goat.
tlapinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 03:45 PM   #8
Guppy
User

Did they not stop com fishin in the ditch because of poaching?
Old 08-12-2020, 02:25 PM   #9
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
Should not be a pound quota...make it a certain time frame for commercial then whether its met or not shut it down! How difficult is that?

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 03:41 PM   #10
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Game fish and smart slot limits, time to get smart.
Old 08-12-2020, 04:10 PM   #11
Guppy
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish View Post
Should not be a pound quota...make it a certain time frame for commercial then whether its met or not shut it down! How difficult is that?
Ummmm,,, probably wouldn’t happen but that scenario could exceed the rocket scientist’s estimated # to maintain the resource ...
Old 08-12-2020, 06:11 PM   #12
RickBomba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy View Post
Ummmm,,, probably wouldn’t happen but that scenario could exceed the rocket scientist’s estimated # to maintain the resource ...
Ray used to teach people how to use Autocad.

He’s pretty much a rocket scientist.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

John Redmond Thinks He's Smart By Changing My Avatar
RickBomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 07:22 PM   #13
beamie

Just recently got my boat in the water, have not sold a fish this year yet. I may or may not. Busy running charters on a friends boat.

But, just because you have a numbered quota does not mean you have to fill it. Leave it 2 days a week, if it gets filled, fine, if not fine. Just reference the last 2 years.....

I am not sure what the current boat price is but I know 3-4 weeks ago it was only $1 a pound. I am guessing allot of people don't fish when it is not worth the effort. And the whole covid19 thing has messed with the demand and price of many species.

Why go to 4 days and then 7 to get more fish on the market when the demand and price is low mainly because of the current state of restaurant volume.....seems it would be a waste of fish. Again, not just a bass issue, the tuna market is going thru the same issue this year.

I never understood why you let the comm harvest the breeders and let everyone else only catch a slot. Why not have everyone, recs and comms fish the same slot and leave the breeders alone. I think every one cooking and eating bass would rather a filet from a 30" fish that a 50" fish.

Many people say take the price off the fishes head....as in no comm harvest. But that is only the tip of it. That price includes tackle shops, plug builders, charter boats, sandwich shops and hotels for people who travel here to fish....the list goes on. So I guess the only answer is no fishing period for anyone. But really, it would never happen, what fun would that be....the golf course would be too crowded.

Life is very short, go fishing (responsibly), have fun and laugh once a while.

Last edited by beamie; 08-12-2020 at 08:54 PM.. Reason: added

Jon, 24' Nauset-Green Topsides, Beamie, North River. Channel 68/69. MSBA, NIBA
beamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 08:29 PM   #14
Higgie

Hate to say it but this year the golf course is overcrowded and go to any box store not a fishing rod or tackle left on the shelves. Thankful for a the few local tackle shops that I prefer to stimulate anyways. Golf courses look like the canal on a moon tide.
Higgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 06:39 AM   #15
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgie View Post
Hate to say it but this year the golf course is overcrowded and go to any box store not a fishing rod or tackle left on the shelves. Thankful for a the few local tackle shops that I prefer to stimulate anyways. Golf courses look like the canal on a moon tide.
The secret is to golf early in thee day. Jeanne and I have been playing at 6:54 AM at our club. Almost no one on the curse.

Old 08-13-2020, 06:41 AM   #16
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Oh, and by the way, I have been surf fishing. My old haunts (Oakley, remember). I have been doing nothing. Riggies, plugs and soft plastic.

Old 08-13-2020, 07:05 AM   #17
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
The secret is to golf early in thee day. Jeanne and I have been playing at 6:54 AM at our club. Almost no one on the curse.
If your not out early it’s a double whammy, your dealing with slow play and hot and humid. Yesterday wasn’t to bad down cape with overcast until the 16th hole, otherwise even an early time wouldn’t have saved you from the heat.
Old 08-13-2020, 07:16 AM   #18
Rockfish9

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamie View Post
Just recently got my boat in the water, have not sold a fish this year yet. I may or may not. Busy running charters on a friends boat.

But, just because you have a numbered quota does not mean you have to fill it. Leave it 2 days a week, if it gets filled, fine, if not fine. Just reference the last 2 years.....

I am not sure what the current boat price is but I know 3-4 weeks ago it was only $1 a pound. I am guessing allot of people don't fish when it is not worth the effort. And the whole covid19 thing has messed with the demand and price of many species.

Why go to 4 days and then 7 to get more fish on the market when the demand and price is low mainly because of the current state of restaurant volume.....seems it would be a waste of fish. Again, not just a bass issue, the tuna market is going thru the same issue this year.

I never understood why you let the comm harvest the breeders and let everyone else only catch a slot. Why not have everyone, recs and comms fish the same slot and leave the breeders alone. I think every one cooking and eating bass would rather a filet from a 30" fish that a 50" fish.

Many people say take the price off the fishes head....as in no comm harvest. But that is only the tip of it. That price includes tackle shops, plug builders, charter boats, sandwich shops and hotels for people who travel here to fish....the list goes on. So I guess the only answer is no fishing period for anyone. But really, it would never happen, what fun would that be....the golf course would be too crowded.

Life is very short, go fishing (responsibly), have fun and laugh once a while.
You are making too much sense.. I have been saying this for years, brought it up at meetings until I hurled... falls on dead ears..small fish are better eating, there is less waste, and command a better price, they also have not run the gauntlet of life, a 20 lb plus fish is safe from most predators except man..

Quotas should be used to regulate, not just to fill pockets of a few.

Someone needs to come up with a viable way to record recreational catches, and dead loss, there is too much speculation, not nearly enough science...fishing logs/ reports would be a good start so would a tag system, just like Texas has with red fish..there are
Alot of fish up my way but few fisherman, I suspect, opening the quota to 7 days will smoke out a few that haven't bothered because it's hard to get the fish to a buyer ..but with the option of being open 24/7.. they will ice their catch, then deliver the next day after work..

It all needs to be examined, maybe a no kill moratorium needs to be implemented..maybe no fishing, artificial bait only.. it all needs to be explored, but until EVERYONE sits down like grown men and women and discuss this logically..well..it ain't getting any better.

A good run is better than a bad stand!
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 07:22 AM   #19
JohnR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockfish9 View Post
It all needs to be examined, maybe a no kill moratorium needs to be implemented..maybe no fishing, artificial bait only.. it all needs to be explored, but until EVERYONE sits down like grown men and women and discuss this logically..well..it ain't getting any better.
Yep. Until then is Deck chairs / Titanic

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 08-13-2020, 08:30 AM   #20
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Here's a question. How did the moratorium get done in the late 80s?

Was it Chaffe as in John Chaffe not his idiot son? I think I will need to re-read #^&#^&#^&#^& Reynolds book Striper Wars.

Old 08-13-2020, 08:35 AM   #21
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockfish9 View Post
You are making too much sense.. I have been saying this for years, brought it up at meetings until I hurled... falls on dead ears..small fish are better eating, there is less waste, and command a better price, they also have not run the gauntlet of life, a 20 lb plus fish is safe from most predators except man..

Quotas should be used to regulate, not just to fill pockets of a few.

Someone needs to come up with a viable way to record recreational catches, and dead loss, there is too much speculation, not nearly enough science...fishing logs/ reports would be a good start so would a tag system, just like Texas has with red fish..there are
Alot of fish up my way but few fisherman, I suspect, opening the quota to 7 days will smoke out a few that haven't bothered because it's hard to get the fish to a buyer ..but with the option of being open 24/7.. they will ice their catch, then deliver the next day after work..

Joe, I have written a couple of articles on the Tarpon/Snook fishery and how it got shutdown and is now a world class fishery. I think that the time has come for the commercial guys to target another species, not that that would help.
I am NOT saying the comms are at fault but if you take a price off the fishes head and declare a moratorium that includes everywhere and everyone, maybe we save them again.
At 73, I don't have a lot of years left to fish but I do have heirs and would hope there would be a fishery for them.

Old 08-13-2020, 09:23 AM   #22
Rockfish9

Quote:
Joe, I have written a couple of articles on the Tarpon/Snook fishery and how it got shutdown and is now a world class fishery. I think that the time has come for the commercial guys to target another species, not that that would help.
I am NOT saying the comms are at fault but if you take a price off the fishes head and declare a moratorium that includes everywhere and everyone, maybe we save them again.
At 73, I don't have a lot of years left to fish but I do have heirs and would hope there would be a fishery for them.
Everyone is culpable when it comes to money,as you know (youve got 10 years on me)..striped bass have a long and storied history, as both a game/ surf fish and a sorce of seasonal protien... I don't advocate one side or the other as the saviour or problem, I've been on both "teams"..but trying to look at the problem rationally, I think both sides can ( and should) put differences aside and do what is right for the fish...it is time for recreational reporting,its the only way to even come close to estimating how many fish are caught and retained or released, then the science of release mortality may be able to be more accurately estimated..

If this was 1980, I would never know there is a problem, we have fish of all sizes everywhere, people with the IQ of a coconut are catching large, so now the next problem,the 10 minute photo session while the fish suffocates..I'Ve seen more dead sub legal fish than I have in 20 years, party boats are chunking for those small fish( and killing them) no one can blame that on the commercial sector..mean while, I'm still fishing , releasing fish boat side without removing them(hoping Whitey doesn't come calling)..
I'm getting old too, each trip is harder than the last..I hope, this glorious fish gets the respect it deserves before I can't do this anymore.

A good run is better than a bad stand!
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 03:35 PM   #23
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Quote:
Here's a question. How did the moratorium get done in the late 80s?

Was it Chaffe as in John Chaffe not his idiot son? I think I will need to re-read #^&#^&#^&#^& Reynolds book Striper Wars.
The Atlantic Striped Bass Conservation Act was passed by Congress in October of 1984, and it gave the Feds the authority to impose a moratorium on states that weren't in compliance with the conservation plan put out by ASMFC. Moratoriums were done by most coastal states without the Feds having to intervene. Mass never had a moratorium for either the rec or comm sectors. 1@36" seemed to satisfy the Feds.

As far as what Chaffee had to do with it, no idea. The bill was sponsored in the House by a Congressman from NJ. His attempts to get gamefish status for the bass later were all shot down by Gerry Studds, who chaired the House committee overseeing fisheries, and who got tons of campaign contributions from the commercial sector, especially in New Bedford which was part of his district.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 07:58 PM   #24
Clammer

I made a fu k in in post & either I lost it or it didn,t post .. this old stuff is worse than old

ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE !!!

MIKE
Clammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 08:40 PM   #25
afterhours
Afterhours Custom Plugs

Can't make this stuff up, freekin' idiots!

www.afterhoursplugs.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Afterh...428173?created

Instagram - afterhourscustom

Official S-B.com Sponsor

GAMEFISH NOW

"A GAMEFISH (WHICH STRIPED BASS SHOULD BE) IS TOO VALUABLE TO BE CAUGHT ONLY ONCE"...LEE WULFF
afterhours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 06:38 AM   #26
JohnR

Wonder how much fisheries stuff gets lost due to COVID

(Clammer - you only get censored for posting porn - usually ; 0 )

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 08-14-2020, 07:05 AM   #27
Clammer

damn ………..forgetting almost everything …………. oh well back to dead #^&#^&#^&#^& ….>>pussy hunting >.

ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE !!!

MIKE
Clammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 02:02 PM   #28
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike P View Post
The Atlantic Striped Bass Conservation Act was passed by Congress in October of 1984, and it gave the Feds the authority to impose a moratorium on states that weren't in compliance with the conservation plan put out by ASMFC. Moratoriums were done by most coastal states without the Feds having to intervene. Mass never had a moratorium for either the rec or comm sectors. 1@36" seemed to satisfy the Feds.

As far as what Chaffee had to do with it, no idea. The bill was sponsored in the House by a Congressman from NJ. His attempts to get gamefish status for the bass later were all shot down by Gerry Studds, who chaired the House committee overseeing fisheries, and who got tons of campaign contributions from the commercial sector, especially in New Bedford which was part of his district.
Mike, this is what I was referencing:
In 1981 Senator John Chafee (R-RI) became an advocate for striped bass obtaining millions in funding to conduct important research on the dwindling species which led (in 1984) to Representative Gerry Studds' (R-MA) sponsoring the Striped Bass Conservation Act in the House.Mar 8, 2018

Old 08-14-2020, 02:28 PM   #29
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
Well you all know what DMF stands for!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 07:21 AM   #30
tlapinski
All up in the Interweb!

Quote:
Mike, this is what I was referencing:
In 1981 Senator John Chafee (R-RI) became an advocate for striped bass obtaining millions in funding to conduct important research on the dwindling species which led (in 1984) to Representative Gerry Studds' (R-MA) sponsoring the Striped Bass Conservation Act in the House.Mar 8, 2018
But NONE of it would have gotten legs had there not been the public health concern (high levels of mercury if I remember correctly.) The powers that be didn't do it for the bass, they did it for the humans who were too stupid to stop eating poisonous meat.

Co-Host of The Surfcast Podcast

"Out there in the surf is where it's at, that's where the line gets drawn in the sand between those who talk fishing and those who live it."
- a wise man.

One good fish, a sharpie does not make...

Certified rock hopping billy goat.
tlapinski is offline   Reply With Quote