Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 09-04-2008, 08:40 AM   #31
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

How how how how how
does she appeal to independents??!??! That is the direction you want us to head? Huge families, strong evangelical influence? Extremly socially conservative?
Leave the forum, but answer that, please.

Absolutely loses me.
Same with the women all over talk radio who 'love her because she is a women' forget party lines, forget race, forget gender. think issues. She gave a great speech, sounded believable, but Spence among all his gibberish, posted an observation I made last night as well. She avoided all these social issues that should turning off a lot of independent/moderate voters. I think she will hold her own in a debate, but I do want to see her grilled on that by Biden.

She is
Anti-abortion completely, no exceptions
Creationist
Mixed environmental record.
I understand she is the VP, and we all talk like McCain is going to drop dead year 1, but still, how is she winning over moderates and independents!

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 09-04-2008, 08:42 AM   #32
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Send a message via AIM to likwid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
H
Mixed environmental record.
Mixed? MIXED?!
Dude, she might as well come out and say "eff fisherman and eff polar bears."

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 09-04-2008, 08:48 AM   #33
striperman36
Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by likwid View Post
Mixed? MIXED?!
That's what I hear too. Rape, pillage the environment as an interim step to weaning us off of black gold
Old 09-04-2008, 08:52 AM   #34
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Mixed? MIXED?!
Likwid.
I was trying NOT to scare Jim away.
Mixed is generous. I know she pushed against the Polar bears, and the Mine issue you raised,
But I'll stick with it for now, at least until I know more,.

I just want to know how she appeals to independents. It is a pretty powerful statement that she is the direction you want America going!!!

Bryan

"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 09-04-2008, 08:55 AM   #35
striperman36
Old Guy

She has no record to stand on. It's a sham
Old 09-04-2008, 09:13 AM   #36
likwid
lobster = striper bait

fliiiiiiiiiip

flop?

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 09-04-2008, 09:14 AM   #37
hmahady

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
I just want to know how she appeals to independents. It is a pretty powerful statement that she is the direction you want America going!!!

I agree. All I took out of last night was a sharp veer to the right,
(so much for the disgruntled Clinton vote), little discussion of the issues, juvenile commentary and drill drill drill.

Howard

I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out. --Bill Hicks
Old 09-04-2008, 09:21 AM   #38
fishbones

Quote:
Mixed? MIXED?!
What do we need polar bears for, anyways?

I wasn't too enthralled with the choice of Palin going into the RNC, but she did a great job with her speech. But, she's a politician. And like McCain, Obama and Biden, she's trying to appeal to a broad base with her speeches.

Most of you guys in here are intelligent enough to know what these candidates stand for and which ways they lean on issues, but most of the general public is competely ignorant on the issues.

Some people will vote for Obama because he's a minority candidate or because he's a good looking, polished speaker.

Others will vote for McCain because he's a war hero who served his country and was a P.O.W.

Palin is going to garner votes for McCain because she is a woman and they won't have a clue as to where she stands on important issues.

It's too bad that more voters don't inform themselves and get to know a little about the candidates that are running.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:25 AM   #39
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Mixed? MIXED?!
OK.,
I was wrong, mixed was way to generous

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080904/...in_environment

Bryan

Old 09-04-2008, 09:29 AM   #40
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

OK -
you asked Bryan and I like you. This will get preachy, but its my swan song.
Everyone needs to make a list of things that are important to them. Many of the social issues are very low on my list. I dont feel strongly either way on abortion.
I dont care too much about the religious crap unless as you state, it becomes THE purpose of policy.
I value MOST of all, the american spirit. The drive to succeed, courage in the face of adversity, no BS, no focus on race, but on people.
She is a mother, a VERY hard job, she worked in tough jobs. Unlike Obama and Biden, she worked for a living, she could fail, lose her home, not provide food for her family. Obama's work has been about obtaining grants and public funding and like Biden, a career politician. I dont like the career politician thing. So thats point 1.
Point 2 - I really, really like woman leaders. The best people I have ever worked for were strong woman, she reminds me a lot of them.
Point 3 - International - I can see her (much like Obamans supporters see him) on the Internatinal stage and delivering a SOLID representation of America. She is not George Bush.
Point 4 - Balls, there is no doubt to me she has them.
Point 5 - again, my unfair comparison between her and Obama , If I was hiring someone, I lead a project management team, who would I hire if I interview Palin and Obama? Who to me is someone I can talk to and they would listen? Obama reminds me of the bad bosses I had, where the have the answer before you ask the questions and think they know more than you. I dont get that from her.
Point 6 - I think her inexperience is a good thing (much like Obamas supporters) and I think can lead. She has the poise and delivery of a leader.

For the record, I am far from right wing - I am for gay marriage, for the legalization of weed, for the separation of church and state.

So, as an independant, that why she appeals to me. Leadership presence, ballsy woman, family woman, non-career politician.

Have fun tearing me apart.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 09-04-2008, 09:30 AM   #41
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
What do we need polar bears for, anyways?
Yeah really, and screw the livelyhood of over 12,000 and $300mil a year.

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 09-04-2008, 09:31 AM   #42
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
OK -
you asked Bryan and I like you. This will get preachy, but its my swan song.
Everyone needs to make a list of things that are important to them. Many of the social issues are very low on my list. I dont feel strongly either way on abortion.
I dont care too much about the religious crap unless as you state, it becomes THE purpose of policy.
I value MOST of all, the american spirit. The drive to succeed, courage in the face of adversity, no BS, no focus on race, but on people.
She is a mother, a VERY hard job, she worked in tough jobs. Unlike Obama and Biden, she worked for a living, she could fail, lose her home, not provide food for her family. Obama's work has been about obtaining grants and public funding and like Biden, a career politician. I dont like the career politician thing. So thats point 1.
Point 2 - I really, really like woman leaders. The best people I have ever worked for were strong woman, she reminds me a lot of them.
Point 3 - International - I can see her (much like Obamans supporters see him) on the Internatinal stage and delivering a SOLID representation of America. She is not George Bush.
Point 4 - Balls, there is no doubt to me she has them.
Point 5 - again, my unfair comparison between her and Obama , If I was hiring someone, I lead a project management team, who would I hire if I interview Palin and Obama? Who to me is someone I can talk to and they would listen? Obama reminds me of the bad bosses I had, where the have the answer before you ask the questions and think they know more than you. I dont get that from her.
Point 6 - I think her inexperience is a good thing (much like Obamas supporters) and I think can lead. She has the poise and delivery of a leader.

For the record, I am far from right wing - I am for gay marriage, for the legalization of weed, for the separation of church and state.

So, as an independant, that why she appeals to me. Leadership presence, ballsy woman, family woman, non-career politician.

Have fun tearing me apart.

BTW - interesting on the environemnt side where most of you are for killing the seals, the plovers and the dogfish

Old 09-04-2008, 09:32 AM   #43
Nebe

Jim my biggest issue right now is this- the GOP has this trait that kind of bugs me.. they reach out at election time to the 'small town' voter.. they will say 'were lookin out for you.. the little guy'. 'We're going to do what ever we can to help YOU succeed by ecouraging this, that, and whatever'.. When in fract the GOP at least in the past 8 years has proven that it really favors big business. Lets say the 'small town' that they say they care so much about has an oil refinery or some sort of industry that the town depends on.. when the crap hits the fan, who do you think the GOP is looking out for?? I dont judge the economy's well being by looking at the DOW.. I look at the strength of the middle class.. Who do you think is going to do their best with the middle class as their focus? Palin is a smoke screen.. However I will admit I am biased because I have seen Bush lie, cheat, and basicly screw the american people in the name of corperate profits.. McCain is not bush and is more moderate.. so I will say that I dont think that things could possibly be worse if he is elected..
Old 09-04-2008, 09:34 AM   #44
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Jim,
Not going to tear you apart. I just wanted clarification. It seems, at least intuitively to me, that she would turn off moderates.
You have strong convictions. So do I. I respect that, and try to do my best to post here and be non-combative. To me, her right-wing social and environmental issues trump all of the qualities you mention, and she is a lot of those things. If Hillary had half her balls and charisma, it would have been no contest this year.

I just think, regardless of her abilities as a leader, her poise, her representation of America, her issues to me, make her very unpalatable, even as a VP.

I'm not for killing seals and dogfish and others without merit, reason or rage. I am for sound environmentalism, and if something is way out of wack, probably due to us, we should work to reduce or remove out negative influence.

Last edited by RIROCKHOUND; 09-04-2008 at 09:52 AM..

Bryan

Old 09-04-2008, 09:40 AM   #45
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
BTW - interesting on the environemnt side where most of you are for killing the seals, the plovers and the dogfish
It only matters when it affects them.

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 09-04-2008, 09:52 AM   #46
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

bry - dont confuse moderate with independant
I think all child rapists should be disemboweled in a public forum, no kidding. I think we should be more isolationist, screw the UN, Im not moderate.

Neb on the small town issue. Want to see a crap hole? Visit Derbt CT. I grew up there. At one time, there was a steel industry, machinery, some pretty big employers. In the past 20-30 yrs, it dried up. the town is like a graveyard of empty buildings and post 1950 tentaments and cape cods. Its the most depressign thing for me to drive through there. I see small towns and big business linked. If you drive up taxes and penalties, it will drive business out. Big business drives jobs.

Ok, enough flip flopping, Im outta hear, no hard feelings, just not getting the kind of intellectual stimulation I need from the I hate bush crowd, you got to do better, bush is soon to be gone.

Old 09-04-2008, 09:54 AM   #47
likwid
lobster = striper bait

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jon-so..._b_123643.html

She supports our troops!

By violating opsec.
Awesome.

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 09-04-2008, 09:55 AM   #48
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
the GOP has this trait that kind of bugs me.. they reach out at election time to the 'small town' voter.. they will say 'were lookin out for you.. the little guy'. 'We're going to do what ever we can to help YOU succeed by ecouraging this, that, and whatever'..
Lets say the 'small town' that they say they care so much about has an oil refinery or some sort of industry that the town depends on.. when the crap hits the fan, who do you think the GOP is looking out for?? ..
Nebe, it's not only The GOP that reaches out at election time - it's all parties. Simple explanation is that everyone is trying to get votes so they can get elected and then forget about everything the promised or said they were going to do.

Both major parties are much more similar than you think. It's like professional wrestling where there are "bad guys" and "good guys". Politicians do what they can so that they can get elected. They fight with and complain about the other guy, then behind the scenes they play golf or go sailing. As someone who has worked in politics at the state level, I've seen this happen often.

I do believe that there are a lot of politicians who get into it for the right reasons, and I have met and worked with some of them. But, there are a lot of politicians (both parties) who get into it because they don't have the desire or the capabilities to hold down a "real" job.

In about 10 months, lets look at the promises made during the campaign by whoever gets elected and see what has actually come to fruition. It won't make a difference if it's Obama or McCain.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:55 AM   #49
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

[QUOTE=RIJIMMY;617345]bry - dont confuse moderate with independant

Fair enough, I don't confuse, but probably shouldn't lump. Moderate repubs usually fall closer to the middle than they do to the far right, in my experience..

Bryan

Old 09-04-2008, 09:56 AM   #50
EarnedStripes44

Killing dogfish.... I know of no better way to inexpensively feed the in-laws than to provide them copious amounts of battered dogfish nuggets and lemon slices.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:22 AM   #51
slapshot

unity

hope

hopefulness for unity

the unity of hopefulness

listen to my voice....

bluefish Jihadist
Old 09-04-2008, 10:44 AM   #52
Hooper
Southsider

McCain / Palin has my vote, I'm done with political coverage, I've made up my mind.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:45 AM   #53
striperman36
Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
Jim my biggest issue right now is this- the GOP has this trait that kind of bugs me.. they reach out at election time to the 'small town' voter.. they will say 'were lookin out for you.. the little guy'. 'We're going to do what ever we can to help YOU succeed by ecouraging this, that, and whatever'.. When in fract the GOP at least in the past 8 years has proven that it really favors big business. Lets say the 'small town' that they say they care so much about has an oil refinery or some sort of industry that the town depends on.. when the crap hits the fan, who do you think the GOP is looking out for?? I dont judge the economy's well being by looking at the DOW.. I look at the strength of the middle class.. Who do you think is going to do their best with the middle class as their focus? Palin is a smoke screen.. However I will admit I am biased because I have seen Bush lie, cheat, and basicly screw the american people in the name of corperate profits.. McCain is not bush and is more moderate.. so I will say that I dont think that things could possibly be worse if he is elected..
However, do you really think being a moderate liar, cheater and screwer is really going to help us non-big business folks?
Old 09-04-2008, 10:47 AM   #54
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperman36 View Post
However, do you really think being a moderate liar, cheater and screwer is really going to help us non-big business folks?
The way most are looking at it is it can't be any worse?

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 09-04-2008, 11:40 AM   #55
mosholu
Mosholu

I think it is kind of early to weigh in on her abilities after hearing her give one speech the majority of which she did not write. I am going to keep an open mind about her until the debates and we will see how good she does in a less scripted setting. Although I am for Obama, previously I would not have shed too many tears if McCain was elected. I am kind of concerned that McCain, who says he is a man of principle, backs down from his choices for running mate because of pressure from the far right and then appoints someone that he has only spoke to for an hour.
Maybe in his mind he does not contemplate his own passing but to make a snap decision about the possible future of the country has me quite concerned.
Old 09-04-2008, 11:46 AM   #56
Flaptail

Smile

I listened to her speech but couldn't keep from wondering what it would be like to get head from a vice-presidential candidate........?

Is that fall under the impure thoughts category?

Hmmm, a vp hummer, what would that be like?

Does that make me a bad person?

Other than that all I got from it was "Jesus is lord, from my cold dead fingers, I'm a mom, I was mayor of a hick town and governor of a state (that doesn't have as many year round residents as New York City )and the feeling that her favorite book is the latest Smith & Wesson catalog.

She is cute but she doesn't seem all that genuine to me, she was a reporter ( sports I am told) but I never trusted reporters news, sports or otherwise.

Leave it to those wacky republicans to mix things up in a campaign. The most fun will be Biden vs. Palin debates ( is there more than one televised vp candidate debate?)

I am so glad I am an un-enrolled voter this year.

Why even try.........
Old 09-04-2008, 11:47 AM   #57
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperman36 View Post

depends on who he decides whome to lie cheat and screw
Old 09-04-2008, 11:50 AM   #58
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaptail View Post
I listened to her speech but couldn't keep from wondering what it would be like to get head from a vice-presidential candidate........?

Nebe and Likwid were wondering the same thing when they watched Biden's address.

Old 09-04-2008, 03:25 PM   #59
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Curious if you know what that even means?

-spence
That's pretty friggin cheap, Spence. Not everyone googles info and spends time researching every aspect of the debate so they can look smarter then everyone else. Most of us are just speaking from the heart and learn from each other as we go. I know what "Present" means and it means he doesn't have the balls to vote an actual yes on the subject at hand because he may some day have to explain that vote.

-steve
Old 09-04-2008, 04:44 PM   #60
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaptail View Post

Does that make me a bad person?

Isn't Nebe your vice President?

Come on Steve, you know the country will be a lot better off with an experienced President rather than one with charisma and no real way to accomplish all of his promises, face it, he just wants to be President just because it is his dream.