Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 09-21-2020, 07:11 PM   #121
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
You’ve already shown who you are.
When a politician praises an all-white audience in a predominantly-white state for their "good genes," you don't get to act like his campaign isn't entirely based around white supremacy.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
who i am, is one of the very few people here who will
praise and criticize both sides.

it’s not based entirely around white supremacy. i care about protecting the unborn, so i should vote for biden? who is going to do more to protect the unborn? trump will
never come close to being as destructive in the black community as liberalism.
Old 09-21-2020, 07:12 PM   #122
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
If the senate flips this move by Mitch will cost the GOP, but I do understand his urgency and the parties hypocrisy is to be expected.
when you accuse me of advocating white supremacy, you could
not be doing more to show your stupidity or desperation.
Old 09-21-2020, 07:18 PM   #123
Jim in CT

Quote:
If the senate flips this move by Mitch will cost the GOP, but I do understand his urgency and the parties hypocrisy is to be expected.
the hypocrisy is one sided? let’s examine the facts.

ginsburg was approved with 94 votes, meaning almost every republican votes for her.

then biden came
up with The Biden Rule, where he said no nominations should be made in an election year. did he stick to that in 2026? or did he flip flop for his party’s gain? now is he flip flopping again?

the democrats torpedoed Bork. they tried to lynch Thomas by appealing to the most base creeds of racists ( darkies can’t control
themselves around women). then they tried to crucify kavanaugh.

of course there’s gop hypocrisy here. but you reap what you sow. republicans won’t forgive senate democrats for what they did to kavanaugh, no should
they.

if this costs trump re election and costs the gop the senate, it’s worth it. because the most liberal congress ever will be limited by what they can do with a new court.

when you cry about republican hypictisy and mention nit a syllable if democrat tactics regarding scotus nominations, you reveal yourself very clearly.

liberals are threatening violence and arson and riots. to quote you, it’s to be expected by that bunch of sociopathic, anarchist babies.
Old 09-21-2020, 07:24 PM   #124
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Really that’s how you think the GOP will view loosing the White House and the senate, wow that’s amazing. So a little revenge will make loosing the power worth while, I’d be surprised if a single GOP senator shares that view, which says something.
Old 09-21-2020, 07:42 PM   #125
Jim in CT

Quote:
Really that’s how you think the GOP will view loosing the White House and the senate, wow that’s amazing. So a little revenge will make loosing the power worth while, I’d be surprised if a single GOP senator shares that view, which says something.
before last friday, there was already a good chance the democrats take the white house and the senate. that’s just the pendulum swinging back and forth.

in 2008, the democrats ran the table, just opened up a major can of whoop azz. was that the end of the gop? no, the gop took back a staggering number of federal, state, and local seats over the next 12 years. no party goes on a run much longer than that,,it doesn’t happen.

twice as many republican senators are up for reelection as democrats. they only need 4. obviously there’s a good chance they’ll get it, regardless of what happened friday.

and of course i’m correct when i say that if amy barrett replaces ginsburg, liberals will have a much harder time enacting their agenda. that’s why they’re coming unglued.

i’m not saying it’s good if the democrats control everything. i’m saying the natural state of things is that the pendulum
swings back and forth. we’re due for a shift back to the left.

if i had to choose between (1) replacing ginsburg with Barrett or (2) a trump re election, if take the former any day. the former shapes policy for decades, not just 4 years. no question which is better.

how isnthat logic flawed exactly? be specific. obviously republicans senators won't say that, because they want to be senators.
Old 09-21-2020, 07:47 PM   #126
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Well payback will be a bitch, hopefully for Mitch
Old 09-21-2020, 08:16 PM   #127
Jim in CT

Quote:
Well payback will be a bitch, hopefully for Mitch
maybe. and then in a few years, the pendulum
swings back, and on and on.but again, with that tilt
in the court, and the way trump packed lower courts with judges who aren’t activists, a liberal federal government can’t go as far to the left. so personally, ill
sleep like a rock if amy barrett replaces ginsburg.

id like to see both sides lower the temperature and restore civility. i have no desire for the gop to play clean and get clobbered by low blows, been there and done that.
Old 09-22-2020, 04:42 AM   #128
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post

that’s why they’re coming unglued.

yup, unglued...violent, destructive, making threats and continuing to cause mayhem and promise more if they don't get their way...truly awful excuses for citizens...remember when the tea party was called "terrorists" by these morons?

trump should name keith richards...he's never gonna die

Last edited by scottw; 09-22-2020 at 05:18 AM..
Old 09-22-2020, 07:03 AM   #129
Pete F.
Canceled

Then vote for Biden. Don't expect Trump to save you from the woke mobs: He needs them to justify his existence, and vice-versa.
Old 09-22-2020, 10:13 AM   #130
Jim in CT

Quote:
Then vote for Biden. Don't expect Trump to save you from the woke mobs: He needs them to justify his existence, and vice-versa.
THAT is brilliant. Just brilliant.

Romney announced he's on board with voting for Trumps nominee, which means there's a 99% chance this is happening.
Old 09-22-2020, 10:40 AM   #131
Pete F.
Canceled

When the next Congress, for example, passes universal healthcare and using it’s article 3 powers to strip the SC of jurisdiction, then tell me how great having a loaded court is.
Article III, section 2, clause 2 explicitly empowers Congress to make “exceptions” to the Supreme Court’s appellate jurisdiction—that is, to pick and choose for approximately 99 percent of the Supreme Court’s total docket what cases the Court has the power to hear and total power over the existence of the lower courts exists in Article 3 section 1.
There’s always more than one way to skin a cat.
Old 09-22-2020, 10:56 AM   #132
Jim in CT

Quote:
When the next Congress, for example, passes universal healthcare and using it’s article 3 powers to strip the SC of jurisdiction, then tell me how great having a loaded court is.
Article III, section 2, clause 2 explicitly empowers Congress to make “exceptions” to the Supreme Court’s appellate jurisdiction—that is, to pick and choose for approximately 99 percent of the Supreme Court’s total docket what cases the Court has the power to hear and total power over the existence of the lower courts exists in Article 3 section 1.
There’s always more than one way to skin a cat.
You're very angry and bitter Pete. Want a binky?

If the dems control everything, they can do whatever the constitution says they can do. They should be careful about doing things for short term gain, however. The democrats are learning that lesson the hard way, after Harry Reid and Joe Biden changed the rules, presumably assuming that the GOP would never be in power again. That was a mis-calculation.
Old 09-22-2020, 10:58 AM   #133
scottw

Quote:

You're very angry and bitter Pete.
4 years worth...better be a king size binky
Old 09-22-2020, 11:03 AM   #134
Pete F.
Canceled

Why do you claim that?
The ultimate promise of jurisdiction stripping isn’t as a short-term stratagem to restore the courts’ partisan balance. It is a deeper remedy that can help put an end to the unhealthy situation in which Americans look to federal courts to resolve every important political question.
Congress could enact wealth tax legislation that includes a provision stripping the federal courts of jurisdiction to review the tax. In so doing, Congress would be advancing its own understanding of the meaning of the Constitution’s apportionment requirement—the exact scope of which is, in fact, subject to reasonable debate—and telling courts to stay out. If voters dislike what Congress has done (that is, if they disagree either with the tax itself or with Congress’s decision to limit judicial review), they can give their votes in the next election to candidates who oppose the tax, the jurisdiction-stripping provision, or both.

But your view is consistently

Judge giving liberal verdict - Activist judge

Judge giving conservative verdict - The constitution is a perfect document
Old 09-22-2020, 11:09 AM   #135
Jim in CT

Quote:
But your view is consistently

Judge giving liberal verdict - Activist judge

Judge giving conservative verdict - The constitution is a perfect document
Wrong.

Judge IGNORING THE CONSTITUTION to deliver any verdict, to satisfy their personal agenda - activist judge (bad).

Judge ignoring their personal ideology and ruling by what the constitution says - conservative judge (good).l

You just can't explain what I believe for two syllables without lying. Because you have no response for the truth - NONE. The truth is, we're all better off when judges leave their personal agenda at home. Have you ever noticed that on every courthouse steps, there's a statue of lady justice, and that she's always blindfolded? Do you know what the blindfold is for?
Old 09-22-2020, 11:19 AM   #136
scottw

Quote:

Judge giving liberal verdict

Judge giving conservative verdict

Old 09-22-2020, 11:24 AM   #137
Pete F.
Canceled

You didn’t read the whole thing I wrote just the part that easily triggered you.
Let’s look at a few decisions
Dred Scott v. Sanford started the Civil War
Or Korematsu v. United States, that upheld the interment of American citizens of Japanese ancestry.
Or Roe vs Wade, which seems to be of great importance to you.
Are we a government of the people or ruled by 9 people with lifetime appointments.
It seems you want the latter.
Old 09-22-2020, 11:29 AM   #138
scottw

there is no reason to have hearings..they should go straight to a vote
Old 09-22-2020, 11:30 AM   #139
scottw

Quote:
You didn’t read the whole thing I wrote just the part that easily triggered you.
Let’s look at a few decisions
Dred Scott v. Sanford started the Civil War
Or Korematsu v. United States, that upheld the interment of American citizens of Japanese ancestry.
Or Roe vs Wade, which seems to be of great importance to you.
Are we a government of the people or ruled by 9 people with lifetime appointments.
are you drunk?
Old 09-22-2020, 11:34 AM   #140
spence

Quote:
And a President who lost the popular vote, and a Senate majority that represents far less that the Democrats.

Tyranny of the minority.
Old 09-22-2020, 11:40 AM   #141
Jim in CT

Quote:
I completely agree that recently, the SC is too powerful.

Here's what you don't get, because it doesn't serve your agenda, even though it's obviously true.

Liberal judges give more power to the court, and to the federal government. Conservative judges give less power to the SC and to the federal government, more power to states, and therefore more power to people to govern themselves.

What a concept!
Old 09-22-2020, 11:41 AM   #142
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
And a President who lost the popular vote, .
Because he was the candidate who had a basic grasp of electoral math, and therefore didn't waste time in CA.

Your problem is with Hilary, no one told her to blowoff flyover country and to call many of them deplorable and irredeemable. That's her fault, not Trumps.
Old 09-22-2020, 11:42 AM   #143
scottw

Quote:

And a President who lost the popular vote.
this is meaningless
Old 09-22-2020, 11:44 AM   #144
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
are you drunk?
You’re the one who thinks they should go straight to a vote, genius

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 09-22-2020, 11:44 AM   #145
scottw

Quote:

Tyranny of the minority.
this is foolish
Old 09-22-2020, 11:45 AM   #146
scottw

Quote:
You’re the one who thinks they should go straight to a vote, genius
no reason not to....save the country from the evil the democrats would conjure up...it's been a tough year already
Old 09-22-2020, 11:47 AM   #147
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
I completely agree that recently, the SC is too powerful.

Here's what you don't get, because it doesn't serve your agenda, even though it's obviously true.

Liberal judges give more power to the court, and to the federal government. Conservative judges give less power to the SC and to the federal government, more power to states, and therefore more power to people to govern themselves.

What a concept!
So the majority of Americans support Roe vs Wade, but it’s ok for an activist court to overturn it.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 09-22-2020, 11:48 AM   #148
spence

Quote:
So the majority of Americans support Roe vs Wade, but it’s ok for an activist court to overturn it.
Last I heard it was about 70%. It's not just Roe though, Casey fixed the issues people had with Roe and is a lot stronger.
Old 09-22-2020, 11:50 AM   #149
scottw

Quote:
So the majority of Americans support Roe vs Wade have you asked everyone?

, but it’s ok for an activist court to overturn it.

so activist courts can create laws but activist courts can't overturn laws...?
Old 09-22-2020, 11:52 AM   #150
scottw

Quote:

Last I heard it was about 70%.

meaningless