Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 01-20-2010, 08:57 AM   #1
Eric Roach
Big E

Molds for Lead Pouring

Has anyone tried plaster-of-Paris for lead molds?
Eric Roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 10:40 AM   #2
eastendlu

They work but won't last long.

Originally Posted by Flaptail
"Throw plugs like we do that will cause them to suffer humility. Pogies make any fisherman look good when bass are around. Bait is easy."
eastendlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 11:05 AM   #3
Eric Roach
Big E

Hardwood last longer? Sounds like both might burn back until the diameters are off.

What's recommended? A blank Do-It mold that you have machined?
Old 01-20-2010, 11:18 AM   #4
Goose

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastendlu View Post
They work but won't last long.
Will they last one long session of pouring??...say like 15lbs. Or do you mean long term??..years of pouring
Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 11:26 AM   #5
eastendlu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Roach View Post
Hardwood last longer? Sounds like both might burn back until the diameters are off.

What's recommended? A blank Do-It mold that you have machined?
Yes that is what i would recommend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose View Post
Will they last one long session of pouring??...say like 15lbs. Or do you mean long term??..years of pouring
Also yes they won't last to many pours the heat will break it down.If you want years of use out of the same mold go with aluminum.

"Throw plugs like we do that will cause them to suffer humility. Pogies make any fisherman look good when bass are around. Bait is easy."
Old 01-20-2010, 11:26 AM   #6
Mr. Sandman

I recommend buying a completed Aluminum mold. If you have something unique and want to make a few just for yourself, as others have said you can make a plaster mold, but they kinda suck.. You can have made a vulcanized rubber mold, and you could get as many as 100 pours out of that. You can buy the rubber and make your own mold but there is a guy out there that made me a very nice mold out of this for a VERY VERY reasonable price and I have used it for years. Further the rubber he uses is different than you can find online. I found an ad for his services in a fishing magazine and I wrote him. I don't have the contact anymore.

Blank AL molds require someone that can machine it properly, I would not try this myself unless you have done it before. (its a one shot deal)
Mr. Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 02:56 PM   #7
Pete F.
Canceled

Since you are just starting I'd make molds out of maple, two pieces and bore the holes in between. You can make all sorts of sizes for short money. After a year or two if you find that they die too quickly and have some standard weights that you use a lot of invest in a aluminum mold.
I have not yet found it worthwhile to do aluminum.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Pete F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 03:10 PM   #8
eastendlu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
Since you are just starting I'd make molds out of maple, two pieces and bore the holes in between. You can make all sorts of sizes for short money. After a year or two if you find that they die too quickly and have some standard weights that you use a lot of invest in a aluminum mold.
But when you do you know a machinist or two.

Old 01-20-2010, 03:29 PM   #9
Nebe

Quote:
cherry is much better for this. You'd be surprised what a beating cherry can take when in contact with hot stuff...
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 05:02 PM   #10
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
cherry is much better for this. You'd be surprised what a beating cherry can take when in contact with hot stuff...
I'll try cherry next time, is this some old time glassblowing information?

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Pete F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 05:46 PM   #11
Nebe

Yes it is... Apple runs a close second.
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 06:00 PM   #12
jeffthechef
shut up and fish

Quote:
Since you are just starting I'd make molds out of maple, two pieces and bore the holes in between. You can make all sorts of sizes for short money.
i did this my first time out, last month, I used maple, but only one piece, not 2 joined. the weights knocked out onto floor w/ a little help.... crude but effective. drilled holes, by guess-timate, for different sized bellys. (they weighed out to be 2gm thru 14gm.) borrowed buddy's melting pot, got out my old lead fishing weights and poured away for a day! very happy with results and the plugs swim beautifully!
jeffthechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 09:00 PM   #13
gone fishin

Eric - Plaster of Paris fatigues quickly. I use bondo and if you don't push the pouring you can get good results. Be sure to soot up the mold before pouring. Not good for mass producing tins. If you are going to do lots, a do-it blank and custom machining is the way to go.

low & slow 37
gone fishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 09:43 PM   #14
Eric Roach
Big E

Thanks, gents' -- all good information. I'll start with some cherry.