Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 02-23-2018, 02:04 PM   #1
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Nothing is going to be perfect and I don't think most people have any issue with a trained officer providing school security, but as we've seen even this has to be part of a more comprehensive plan.

I'd assume that the killer in FL very knew the school had armed security and this did nothing to deter his intentions.
People who are suicidal aren't going to be deterred by an armed guard. But they can be stopped by an armed guard.

You don't know what he knew, yet you leap to the conclusion which supports your side's ideology, and I for one am shocked, you never do that.
Old 02-23-2018, 04:40 PM   #2
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
People who are suicidal aren't going to be deterred by an armed guard. But they can be stopped by an armed guard.
There is this unverified belief by gun controllers that there is no evidence that armed persons in schools would prevent mass shootings. Of course, the same gun controllers are silent when asked if there is any proof that gun free zones prevent mass shootings.

I thought I'd take a quick look online and found many articles and documentations of armed citizens ending or preventing mass shootings. Many of the armed citizens had military or police training or general gun training, one in the brief list linked here was a school principle. Most were not in schools, but the examples can easily be applied to schools. The article counters the idea which gun controllers pooh pooh, that some form of trained armed security as Trump proposes would not be effective. There are other articles and examples on the net, but I just posted this one from WAPO so that it could not be discounted as right wing propaganda:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.ab592191b7af

Last edited by detbuch; 02-23-2018 at 06:57 PM..
Old 02-23-2018, 05:32 PM   #3
zimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
There is this unverified belief by gun controllers that there is no proof that armed persons in schools would not prevent mass shootings.
Is that really what you meant to write? If so, I am perplexed.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

No, no, no. we’re 30… 30, three zero.
Old 02-23-2018, 06:48 PM   #4
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimmy View Post
Is that really what you meant to write? If so, I am perplexed.
Good catch. Fixed it. Thanks. I guess my eyes was goin' crazy when I made the typo. Meant to say . . . unverified belief by gun controllers that there is no evidence that armed persons in schools would [rather than "would not"] prevent mass shootings.

Last edited by detbuch; 02-23-2018 at 06:58 PM..
Old 02-23-2018, 09:52 PM   #5
zimmy

Quote:
Good catch. Fixed it. Thanks. I guess my eyes was goin' crazy when I made the typo. Meant to say . . . unverified belief by gun controllers that there is no evidence that armed persons in schools would [rather than "would not"] prevent mass shootings.
Ok, got it. Can you provide evidence that armed persons would prevent mass shootings? There are at least two cases where armed persons at schools didn't, let alone assassinations by snipers, etc.

Old 02-23-2018, 11:19 PM   #6
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimmy View Post
Ok, got it. Can you provide evidence that armed persons would prevent mass shootings? There are at least two cases where armed persons at schools didn't, let alone assassinations by snipers, etc.
The article I linked gave examples of mass shootings that were either prevented or ended before more could have been shot. For some, that is evidence that, under similar circumstances, many, if not most, mass shootings would either be prevented or cut short. For you, that is not evidence.

BTW, even a sniper was foiled from further damage in that Republican baseball game in June 1917 by two armed guards using hand guns.

Last edited by detbuch; 02-23-2018 at 11:33 PM..
Old 02-24-2018, 11:56 AM   #7
zimmy

Quote:
For you, that is not evidence.
No, it is that I didn't see your link. You tend to write so often and so much nonsense that I typically skim or skip your posts. My bad. Thanks for the evidence.