Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » Boat Fishing & Boating

Boat Fishing & Boating A new forum at Striped-Bass.com for those fishing from boats and for boating in general

Old 03-15-2016, 07:27 AM   #1
RickBomba

Mounting Flush Heavy Duty Swivel Rod Holders to Seacraft

Hi Guys,
I want to mount rear heavy-duty Smith swivel flush mount rod holders to the rear of #^&#^&#^&#^&y's and my 21 foot Sea Craft CC. The only problem is the gunwale is not flat by the rear cleat, it's domed.

The rodholders are 15 degrees, and I have backing plates, so I get that I'd need to put in access ports to get at the adjuster screw and the bolts under the access ports.

I also know how to cut the hole with a hole saw and then make the angle cut so it sits flush.

My real question is how do I deal with the domed gunwale? Use a bigger hole saw and only do down a little bit?

I tried posting this on classic seacraft, but got no real help.

Any ideas would be appreciated. I'd like to do as little fiberglassing of the gunwale as possible after I'm done, to clean up my mess.

Thanks,
Rick

John Redmond Thinks He's Smart By Changing My Avatar
RickBomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 07:58 AM   #2
buckman

Get a piece of starboard or even Azec will work . Make it a little bigger then the base and bevel the outside edges . Sand the profile into it so it fits flat . Mount with a little 5200 while you bolt the holder on .
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
buckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 08:48 AM   #3
bassballer

As a seacraft guy how about giving us a couple pics of the boat!!!
bassballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 09:27 AM   #4
MakoMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
Get a piece of starboard or even Azec will work . Make it a little bigger then the base and bevel the outside edges . Sand the profile into it so it fits flat . Mount with a little 5200 while you bolt the holder on .
You can also us a piece of teak and do the same thing.

****MakoMike****

Http://www.Makomania.net

Official S-B Sponsor
MakoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 10:59 AM   #5
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Teak or mahogany. 5/4 x 6 might do it. You are basically making a fairing block for your deck or gunnel. Similar to the fairing blocks used to mount transducers vertically. Scribing it to fit will not be easy but band saw (with re-saw set up) and spindle sander would be nice.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 04:09 PM   #6
thefishingfreak
"Fishbucket"

Get a bulkhead mount swivel rod holder and mount it inside against the combing board

thefishingfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 06:00 PM   #7
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
If your gunwales are cored (balsa, foam, ect..) make sure you de-core/dig out core and fill with something like thickened epoxy or hull & deck putty.
As for drilling/installing, like Norm Abraman says, measure twice (or 20 times). Cut once !
Most larger rod holders you need a 2 3/8 hole saw. Drill the same angle and direction that the rod holder will be installed. Use the rod holder up side down as a guide.
Hope this helps.
Raider Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote