Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Vintage Lures

Vintage Lures At the request of many members, a new S-B forum for the discussion of Vintage Lures

Old 01-20-2011, 08:41 PM   #1
Dave Dennison

2011 SWLCC TACKLE SHOW & SWAP

Saltwater lure collectors united this past year and formed a non-profit club dedicated to the history and preservation of Striped Bass Lures and Tackle. Check out the web site at Home Page and join us.

The club web site is the largest online database of its kind and is just full of information, articles and photographs of vintage Striped Bass lures and history and it keeps growing every day.

The club has organized the 2nd Annual Saltwater Lure Collectors club show and it is scheduled for April 30th, 2011 at the Trowbridge Tavern in Bourne, Mass. The Trowbridge is attached to the Quality Inn. The location is a stones throw to the Bourne Bridge & Cape Cod Canal. Bring your fishing rod.

This years show will be bigger and better than last year, plus we have moved it to a location to make it easier for some of you to attend. A special room rate of 99.00 per night for SWLCC members has been set up at the quality inn for those attending the show. Rooms are limited so book now..

The membership fee per year to join the no profit club is 35.00 and the price of membership for 2011 includes full access to the Clubs online library, one free table to the show and swap meet in April and also a membership card. These dues help keep the research going that helps us dig further into these old plug builders. It also helps us protect the history of a sport we all know and love. Additional tables to the show are just 20.00 each.

There is sure to be thousands of vintage fishing lures and tackle as well as tackle from some of the best modern day contemporary lure builders.
JOIN THE SALTWATER LURE COLLECTORS CLUB AND HELP US PRESERVE STRIPED BASS HISTORY AND TACKLE
Dave Dennison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:08 PM   #2
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

Dave, what does the dues and show money go towards if no one is profiting? It doesn't seem to say on the home page.
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:24 PM   #3
Dave Dennison

Club Info

The club is a registered non-profit and all the money goes into the club general account. These moneys are used to pay for the research and articles written on the website, it also helps pay for the website yearly fees and club operating costs, Our show we host once a year is also paid for with the money. Also advertising we pay for such as flyers for other shows.

We have many members now, All who donate time to promote the hobby. Its a great club that was formed to promote vintage and contemporary lure collecting and to preserve as much history as we can.

We have elected officials within the club. Its basically set up like many clubs. Nobody profits from it.
Old 01-20-2011, 11:45 PM   #4
jonesbeachbob

SWLCC

Great club. Great site. I've been a member since inception. Our Library is second to none when it comes to historic information about the sport we love.
Last years show was incredible with the largest selection of SaltWater baits, buttons, memorabilia, trophy's, you name it. I have never seen so many old lure before or since
It featured auctions of special lures donated by guys like steve musso, chumbucket & gary soldati, plus many old surf fishing pictures.
Having this years show at the Big Ditch is a thrill for me, because it's one of the great surf fishing locations in the country. It's also 'plug central' for old New England Baits.
I hope that all attending will bring their old lures and let the 'experts' tell them what they are or what they are worth.
You'll find that everyone is very friendly and some very knowledgable guys set up tables.
This years show should be even better; because we moved from New Hampshire to Cape Cod with all its SurfFishing History.
I hope to see you all there. Stop by my table & say hello.
All the Best, Bob
jonesbeachbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 12:26 AM   #5
moontide

Rooms for these shows can run into the thousands of dollors to rent as well as tables, chairs, table clothes, ect. We pay for advertising, flyers,forms, ID tags, and supply at times money permitting some refreshments. Most clubs and organizations try to recoup those costs thru table charges which can run at times between $50 and $100 on top your membership fee. With your membership in the club you get a free table at our/your show - a pretty good deal. And as Dave said our library of information is not cheap to develope as is the website itself. Most of that has been accomplished thru the efforts of our officers and members. We get no compensation for anything.

Roy Curley
Pres SWLCC
moontide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 04:59 AM   #6
capesams
Really Old & Really Grumpy

the founding farthers are priceless..all telling..willing to help out most anyone.[even me]...best information highway anywhere..well worth beyond the few dollars to join..I wood b lost without this great group of guys who put everything together for those of us who were unknowning .

Even VB has been very helpfull.

BOAT fish do count.
capesams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:03 AM   #7
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Good news

and Grumpy, you must be thrilled you don't have to cross the bridge this year
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 11:43 AM   #8
capesams
Really Old & Really Grumpy

those old bridges give me the hebe jebes, thats why I use the tunnel.

BOAT fish do count.
capesams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 10:25 PM   #9
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

I don't know what your annual web costs are but I'd be willing to give you free hosting on my server if the details work (server type, scripts, etc). I have my own fairly speedy server for S-B and a small amount of other sites. Nothing else gets hosted on it and I have oodles of bandwidth. I host several clubs' sites for free as a way to give back.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 01:34 AM   #10
Dave Dennison

John, Thanks so much but I think the problem would be moving the massive amount of stuff there is. Our club Library has about 150 pages or so and is not even close to being complete. There is lots done that has not even been uploaded to the members to see yet. The website overall is a small cost compared to what it cost us to host our show every year.
This is the first time we will have the show outside of NH and on the cape. Table rentals alone are 700.00 for this upcoming year not counting the cost of function space this year..
What we need to do in the next year or so is find a large enough space to hold 100 tables and have it be located in the middle of everyone. It seems there is more and more intrest each year with the vintage and custom collectors.
Many thanks for the offer
Old 01-24-2011, 08:02 AM   #11
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

No problem, like I said - something I offer to clubs to help out.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 02:24 PM   #12
moontide

Just wanted to let everyone one know because of the terrific responce we have had about the show I can tell you the show is full and we can no longer take any more table reservations. We will have close to 60 tables of vintage and contemporary tackle - sorry no tee shirts, doll clothes, tonka trucks, sponges or shammys.

If you are still interested in a table we are putting together a list of those requests and will honor them in order - if any cancellations occur.

Also because of the anticipated responce and attendance we are lowering our admission fee from the advertised $10 down to $5. We understand that money is tight - we are a non profit and really just want to see as many people come and share our enthusiasum for this hobby that we have.

We also be offering all day long free appraisals of vintage tackle. You will have access to some of the most knowledgeable collectors of vintage baits in the country. We are also working out the details that if you want to sell your baits we might be able to include them in our auction that we will hold about 2pm that day. Detail will follow when we work them out.

Hope to see you there Sat. April 30th

Roy Curley
Pres. SWLCC

Last edited by moontide; 03-03-2011 at 03:59 PM..
moontide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 02:56 PM   #13
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
$5 bucks.....no dresses. dishware or trucks??? Don't get much better than that! Its gonna be quite a day!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 05:15 PM   #14
wader-dad

Larry-what does a rare early baby blue Big Fish Pikie go for? I will have to show it to the plug roadhouse experts there.

So no beef jerky tables?
wader-dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 05:41 PM   #15
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Those are as rare as hens teeth......I made only 2 and I had forgotten where they had gone to...so you have the blue one?? Can you post a pic?? Made them very, very early on!

Old 03-04-2011, 05:47 PM   #16
wader-dad

I will post a picture tonight. I am still at work. Its a beauty.
wader-dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 08:34 PM   #17
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Bump!

Old 03-27-2011, 11:03 PM   #18
Dave Dennison

The show is only a month away.. Tables are sold out.. Hotel is sold out.. We have some awesome builders who will be there. Some of the builders include:

Bigfish Bait Co - Larry Wentworth

Big Water Lures - Gary Soldati

Capesams - Steve Sylver

Chumbucket - Matt Tomczyk

RuRu Lures - Billy Riker

Super Strike Lures - Don and Steve Musso

LIFISHVT

ANGLER229

We also have more builders attending.. If anything, this is a chance for you to see some great vintage tackle and while your there get some great wood. (lures that is)...

5.00 gets you in the door.. You can't beat that..

April 30th 2011 show opens at 8am at the Trowbridge Tavern in Bourne which is right next to the Bourne Bridge..

This is going to be one great show.. We hope to see you all there..
Old 04-20-2011, 11:15 AM   #19
vineyardblues

Jimmy Fund Auction @ the show

Auction for Kid’s with Cancer at the Show
« Thread Started on Apr 1, 2011, 10:36am »
I would like to start a silent Auction at the show this month to
Benefit children with cancer, I have chosen the Jimmy Fund to be awarded all donations

http://www.jimmyfund.org/abo/flash/history/history.html
Please watch the above video and learn a little history behind the Jimmy Fund

I am inspired to start this annual event with the SWLCC because of other fishing clubs who also give back to children and others. Number one would be the “ Ditch Trolls” a local Cape Cod Canal club who raise funds several times during the year
Thank You Tagger and everyone else in the club http://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/showthread.php?t=790844
2nd would be the Mass Bass club who also take the kid’s on special fishing trips and give back most of the money that they make each year
3rd would be working at Umass Hospital everyday walking down the hallway and seeing children with disabilities and wishing only the best for all of them !

So please let me be the first to donate a couple lures to be put up for the first silent auction (I also will donate my table at the show)
One Stan Gibbs darter in the box and 2nd a Conn Yankee , both in mint condition

Both club members and attendees will be able to bid on them with no disruption during the show , Winners will be announced before the end of the show.

Donations will be accepted during the show or you can send them to me or Dave in advance .
Just send a PM for our address

We will be accepting Antique lures or custom plugs , or cash / checks
Let’s make this a rewarding event that means something.

Let’s all remember it is all about Giving Back to those who are less fortunate

Thanks in advance
Peter

vineyardblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:17 AM   #20
vineyardblues

Last bump before the show

Everyone is welcome , should have some great weather as well
vineyardblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 07:54 AM   #21
Dave Dennison

Only a couple days away.. Hope to see you all there.. Its gonna be a great show and hopefully raise lots of money for the Jimmy Fund...