Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 07-31-2008, 01:26 PM   #1
Joe

Marijuana Decriminalization Bill

Good idea?
Seems to me - even though in the words of David Byrne, "I have tried marijuana, I get nervous every time."
The Dutch seem to be doing pretty well not spending money sending people to jail for drugs. We've got the largest percentage of people in prison in the western world.

Old 07-31-2008, 01:30 PM   #2
reelecstasy
Boston Anglah

Location: Sitting on top of the world with my legs hangin free
"Legalize it, and I will advertise it...."
~Peter Tosh

Honestly, there are far more serious pressing issues that the money used to bust people smoking pot could be used for IMHO.

Used hard and put away dirty....
Old 07-31-2008, 01:32 PM   #3
Nebe

Im all for it.

alcohol is far more destructive than herb..
Old 07-31-2008, 01:38 PM   #4
zacs
D'oh

makes sense to me.

i bent my wookie
Old 07-31-2008, 04:18 PM   #5
Slingah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
Im all for it.

I'll second that...does not make sense to me that booze can be legal and pot not...
at the least decriminialize it...
Old 07-31-2008, 04:32 PM   #6
Raven

Arrow

The Fact that it is illegal is what makes
it profitable ..... and worth 10 - 20 times
it's real value...

Look what happened during alcohol prohibition

it was a mistake when Richard Nixon
started the counter culture WAR
and it's been costing the tax payer ever since.
Old 07-31-2008, 04:57 PM   #7
basswipe

Yes.Legalize it.

Partnership for a drug free America,our government and the cops need to get their priorities in order.They focus almost exclusively on weed when it comes to talking to America's youth about drugs.Guess they forgot about crack,meth and smack...you know those highly addictive drugs that actually kill people and ruin families.

Weed really does have medicinal purposes both physical and mental.

The most dangerous thing about weed is its illegality.Its illegality promotes curiosity and that leads to use which means it has to be done behind closed doors with other illegal things.At some point in time the person smoking illegal weed will more than likely encounter someone doing illegal dope like crack etc....."try this."The only thing that makes weed a "gateway" drug is that the stupid laws governing weed has put it in the same category as crack,heroin,meth etc.

Btw I don't smoke pot.I'm just using common sense.
Old 07-31-2008, 05:06 PM   #8
basswipe

And before someone brings up alcohol as being legal lets not forget billions of $$$ is spent advertizing drinking alcohol as being "fun".Billions spent.
Old 08-01-2008, 07:58 PM   #9
Fishpart
Keep The Change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
The Fact that it is illegal is what makes
it profitable ..... and worth 10 - 20 times
it's real value...

Look what happened during alcohol prohibition

it was a mistake when Richard Nixon
started the counter culture WAR
and it's been costing the tax payer ever since.
Saw an interesting show several years ago and the Nixon War on Drugs was a result of our great nation sending boys to Vietnam and having them come home hopelessly hooked on drugs, including heroin and opium. Weed got caught in the net, right or wrong, who knows, but with it being illegal now it serves as a gateway to other substances like Basswipe described...

“It’s not up to the courts to invent new minorities that get special protections,” Antonin Scalia
Old 08-01-2008, 08:13 PM   #10
striperman36
Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingah View Post
I'll second that...does not make sense to me that booze can be legal and pot not...
at the least decriminialize it...
Its legal like tobacco is legal because of political graft
Old 08-07-2008, 11:59 AM   #11
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

For all intent and purpose marijuana has been decriminalized. At the most in court an offender gets a $50.00 or a $100.00 fine and it is dismissed. The only thing left to do to make it completely decriminalized is to put to form a citation that can be issued for mere possesion.

You know, all of the pro-pot sentiment here is just fine. Buy not everyone stays homes and eats twinkies and chips when high. Some people can't seems to stay out of the driver's seat and thats is what worries most people who don't smoke. There is no scientific way to determine what amount of marijuana use places someone who is actively smoking it while driving "under the influance." Any marijuana usage places the smoker "under the influance." And there is somewhat of an oxymoron involved here, which is, to smoke pot is to get high. So you get high before you get in the car and then travel say to a movie theatre or eatery to have dinner or watch a movie, or just go to and from the 7-11 to buy 12 bags of doritos. I don't know how that is any safer than drinking alcohol and driving. What is the difference?

Smoking marijuana isn't any different than smoking cigarettes. They both are carcinogens and cause cancer.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Old 08-07-2008, 12:16 PM   #12
Joe

If you pull over a person with a bag of pot, don't they get arrested, get their name in the paper, and get their car towed?

Old 08-07-2008, 12:19 PM   #13
Flaptail

Smile

The smoking part is the bad thing about it. Any type of smoking is bad for you.

But, did you know, that by town ordinance in Provincetown ( of course) it's legal to possess an oz. or less? Course the state laws supersede it.

Why even try.........
Old 08-07-2008, 12:36 PM   #14
zacs
D'oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmer View Post
You know, all of the pro-pot sentiment here is just fine. Buy not everyone stays homes and eats twinkies and chips when high. Some people can't seems to stay out of the driver's seat and thats is what worries most people who don't smoke. There is no scientific way to determine what amount of marijuana use places someone who is actively smoking it while driving "under the influance." Any marijuana usage places the smoker "under the influance." And there is somewhat of an oxymoron involved here, which is, to smoke pot is to get high. So you get high before you get in the car and then travel say to a movie theatre or eatery to have dinner or watch a movie, or just go to and from the 7-11 to buy 12 bags of doritos. I don't know how that is any safer than drinking alcohol and driving. What is the difference?

Smoking marijuana isn't any different than smoking cigarettes. They both are carcinogens and cause cancer.
nobody is saying to legalize stoned driving. you can have legal pot and still have dui laws. just like we have leagal booze and dui laws.

Quote:
The only thing left to do to make it completely decriminalized is to put to form a citation that can be issued for mere possesion.
that would not make it completely decriminalized. no, the only thing left to do is to legalize it, tax it, and sell it in stores to people over 21.

i bent my wookie
Old 08-07-2008, 01:15 PM   #15
Raven

Arrow

Quote:

YES, THERE IS A LARGE DIFFERENCE
nicotinic acid is the only bug pesticide that will kill
the cotton destroying big bo weval lol Hi big bo

that being that cigarettes contain Nicotine and about
90 other chemicals used to make tobacco taste better,
smoke smoother.... and all that baloney

where as weed has NO nicotine ...in it...
it does contain tar...
the only plant containing nicotine is tobacco period

i won't argue about the fact that
smoking is bad for human lungs
because after all as i have said previously
what is smoke...? but super fine dust...
dust clogs lung tissue... no question about it.
Old 08-01-2008, 08:31 AM   #16
Flaptail

Smile

Quote:
Im all for it.

Absolutely and when and if it ever happens I will be seriously investing in Twinkie futures at Hostess Foods.

chasing down pot smokers and prosecuiting them is a waste of valuable time and resources for law enforcement.

Just look at your local court reports in the papers. Pot arrest, six months without a finding, 50.00 bucks court fees, no record.

Drunk driving 1st offense, 45 day license suspension, Alchohol counseling ( which you pay for 1000.00) 400.00 +/- court fees, record.

We have better things to worry about. Crack, unregistered guns on the street, Republicans.

Why even try.........
Old 08-06-2008, 05:17 PM   #17
Raven

Cool OxyContin bust nets 56 Miami-Dade government employees

Quote:
Im all for it.

LEGAL drugs are more destructive than alcohol
yet they are all LEGAL ....

alcohol is killing people every single day

yet herb is illegal

http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/08/06/...ing/index.html
Old 07-31-2008, 02:05 PM   #18
fishbones

A fine for possessing small amounts would save a lot of taxpayers dollars. There is way too much time and money spent prosecuting pot cases in court. I do feel that if someone is caught with a large amoount, they should be prosecuted for intent to distribute.
Old 07-31-2008, 02:23 PM   #19
Joe

With the "three stikes" law - it's possible to go to jail for the rest of your life over a bag of pot.
Police and DEA agents working on drug investigations cost becoup - particularly with their retirement packages. Same thing with the Coast Guard - a tremendous amount of money and resources.
Is this cycle of long imprisonment and costly enforcement realistically sustainable? Has it even made a difference?

Old 07-31-2008, 02:36 PM   #20
EarnedStripes44

Old 08-01-2008, 05:29 AM   #21
Brian L

Backbeach and I have an ongoing debate about this. Surprised he hasn't dropped in the first salvo... :^)

I'm for decriminalization all the way. Dozens of legal things more dangerous than smoke. I don't even smoke. (Anymore)
Probably wouldn't start either if it was legal, though I'd indulge in an occasional cookie.

How many violent crimes, suicides, etc.. related to it every year? Damn near none as far as I know. I'd much rather deal with someone on smoke than half in the bag drinking, though I doubt alchohol abuse would decrease if Marijuana was legal.
Old 08-01-2008, 07:53 AM   #22
reelecstasy
Boston Anglah

Location: Sitting on top of the world with my legs hangin free
Also, I think another reason that hinders its legalization is that it would be almost impossible to control. It is easily grown, in sand, mud, soil, hell rocks and never mind hydro

I also do not understand how alcohol can be legal and pot not. I have the "pleasure" of slinging drinks and I gotta say, booze turns 50% of the people into instant A-hole.
I know I would much rather be passing a bong at a hash bar than giving 21yr olds a few drinks w/shots=bad news.

Used hard and put away dirty....
Old 08-01-2008, 08:12 AM   #23
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by reelecstasy View Post
I also do not understand how alcohol can be legal and pot not. I have the "pleasure" of slinging drinks and I gotta say, booze turns 50% of the people into instant A-hole.
I know I would much rather be passing a bong at a hash bar than giving 21yr olds a few drinks w/shots=bad news.

The answer to why alcohol is legal and pot isn't is simple. Money. Big companies produce, market and sell alcohol. Pot is grown in second and third world countries and sold by some guy with dirty hair standing on the corner playing hacky sack. If Big Business, Inc. could find a way to get rich monopolizing the sale of weed, it probably would become legal. Then it would be reulated and the small time dealers would be stuck selling Phish bootlegs and magic mushrooms.
Old 08-01-2008, 07:40 PM   #24
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Start investing in cheetos and dorritos now

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
Old 08-01-2008, 08:00 PM   #25
striperman36
Old Guy

I think the dorito's with mild salsa is the best munchie resolver.
Old 08-01-2008, 09:58 PM   #26
Raven

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorM View Post
Start investing in cheetos and dorritos now
buy the S-B Brand chip

has a coupon inside

for m&D's

Old 08-02-2008, 07:50 PM   #27
zacs
D'oh

wow, something we all agree on. this doesn't happen too often....

i bent my wookie
Old 08-03-2008, 08:24 AM   #28
Goose

Thumbs down

Another example of Hedonism that is slowly bringing down society. History has shown that when we live in this "if it feels good do it" attitude ,,,it has produced men and women that are lazy, lustful and gluttonous. It demises. Everyone agrees that healthy families are the foundation to all cultures,,no brain er right? So how will legalizing weed attributed to a better society, it doesn't. It will only blind side us like other things the government has done that puts money in front of people. And when parents look at there kids and ask what went wrong don't forget to look in the mirror.

700% increase in prescription drugs.???? blame doctors - blame government - blame insurance companies - just blame. Looking at old footage from an amusement park of hundreds of people there wasn't one obese person in that tape. Today?? Family members have so many personnel issues that instead of them supporting each other they can't... so no chit there are false/temporary fixes to fill in the void before they go to drugs and counseling. IMO people will listen for about 1/2 hour then your on your own...go find something to keep you happy.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:21 AM   #29
Clammer

RITZ CRACKERS & ICE CREAM >>>

ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE !!!

MIKE
Old 08-03-2008, 12:19 PM   #30
Raven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose View Post
Another example of Hedonism that is slowly bringing down society. History has shown that when we live in this "if it feels good do it" attitude ,,,it has produced men and women that are lazy, lustful and gluttonous. It demises. Everyone agrees that healthy families are the foundation to all cultures,,no brain er right? So how will legalizing weed attributed to a better society, it doesn't. It will only blind side us like other things the government has done that puts money in front of people. And when parents look at there kids and ask what went wrong don't forget to look in the mirror.

700% increase in prescription drugs.???? blame doctors - blame government - blame insurance companies - just blame. Looking at old footage from an amusement park of hundreds of people there wasn't one obese person in that tape. Today?? Family members have so many personnel issues that instead of them supporting each other they can't... so no chit there are false/temporary fixes to fill in the void before they go to drugs and counseling. IMO people will listen for about 1/2 hour then your on your own...go find something to keep you happy.
No Goose!
700% increase in prescription drug deaths from 2002 -2004

qoute:
A recent analysis of U.S. death certificates from the last two decades shows a sharp increase in accidental deaths due to at-home prescription drug use. According to the Associated Press, researchers “blame soaring home use of prescription painkillers and other potent drugs, which 25 years ago were given mainly inside hospitals.” The study found that “Deaths from medication mistakes at home increased from 1,132 deaths in 1983 to 12,426 in 2004. Adjusted for population growth, that amounts to an increase of more than 700 percent during that time.”
~
rav-
the legalization of a single drug... not every single one which is a Regan era tactic... You try to discuss just POT and instantly the conversation switches over to Cocaine and or heroin and others..
speed ...whatever just to take you off topic and lump them all together for the purpose of COMPLETELY avoiding the issue.
======================================
(it's comparable to saying we should legalize BEER ...then also saying: well then people are gonna be chugging a quart of jack daniels and doin Shots and watching girls strip off their clothes at a strip club.) the subject of beer legalization being swept away by
issues of morality and the abuse of hard liquor..... (it's a game)
a ploy , a tactic to avoid the issue every time....
=========================================
legalization is what takes the profitability out of it...weed just weed.
making it less apt to be smuggled or distributed.
--------------
I watched the drug movie last night and it was comical watching
Tricky #^&#^&#^&#^& Nixon ,"Ronald Regan and wife" and Bill Clinton all
claiming to have turned the war on drugs around with their new proposals for tougher laws and prosecuting drug offenders.

it hasn't worked after spending over a trillion dollars !!!!

it's the wrong approach...all it did was make it more profitable and desirable and in effect they caused the drug problem by making it profitable at ten times to twenty times it's true value.