Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Grumpy Old Pharts Board

Grumpy Old Pharts Board Gerritol, Ex-Lax, Immodium, Bad Breath - all requirements for the Grumpy Board

Old 05-14-2012, 01:21 PM   #31
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
Please show me the evidence to support this statement. My wife's best friend's oldest son graduates from Harvard in a couple weeks. He did not pay $52,000 per year and he is not making $250,000 a year in the biotech job he is starting this summer.

For what it's worth, Harvard is pretty affordable - if you can get in. They instituted a new tuition plan 4 or 5 years ago where families pay annual tuition, room and board of 10% of gross earnings for those earning between $120,000 and $180,000 per year, for example.
So your friend's son received aid during his four years. To reply to your post Harvard is well-known for marking up work at least a grade and maybe more. The trust fund kids don't care, nor probably do thier parents. So if your child comes homes with an A from Harvard it has been well-documented that the A is quite likely a B or lower grade at BU for instance. Harvard is also advertised as being a $52,000.00 a year college. Every fall the highest cost schools are always ranted about on TV. So $52,000.00 a year for attending Harvard plus the grades are marked up to make it appear everyone who attends Harvard is genius level was my point, but why I said what I said in reply to Ross stated dilema was, is that spending all that money for the art school doesn't mean your getting a Picasso in return.

Last edited by Swimmer; 05-14-2012 at 03:41 PM..

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:01 AM   #32
gf2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmer View Post

...spending all that money for the art school doesn't mean your getting a Picasso in return.

Now that I can agree with!
gf2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:54 PM   #33
Joe

In that field it's where you get your MFA that counts. You can't do much working for anyone else in the art world without one.
Go to an in state school, major in art, and if she nails it 3.5 or better - then you'll talk. If she can't graduate with honors in art from a state school, she ain't got it.
My wife got a 3.5 as an undergrad and was offered an assistantship with a tuition waiver for free ride for her masters (student affairs) where she got a 3.9
Now she's a dean.

Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:05 PM   #34
Sea Dangles

There are always exceptions.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Sea Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:08 AM   #35
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
For what it's worth, Harvard is pretty affordable - if you can get in. They instituted a new tuition plan 4 or 5 years ago where families pay annual tuition, room and board of 10% of gross earnings for those earning between $120,000 and $180,000 per year, for example.
A lot of the top-tier private schools are like this, it is a needs-based tuition. It works because of large endowements from all the trust-fund's parents I guess..

of course, all the state schools keep getting slashed, and are still expected to comptete... The % of aid from the State to URI for instance has declined REMARKABLY in the last 30 years, and it is supposed to be the state's flagship school...

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
RIROCKHOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:30 AM   #36
vineyardblues

Glad she does not look anything like you
Her art work is very good
Good luck Ross, My daughter just came home and I just borrowed 100K
I will save next year as she will be the RA in the dorm ...yeppy I AAA
vineyardblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:23 AM   #37
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
The % of aid from the State to URI for instance has declined REMARKABLY in the last 30 years, and it is supposed to be the state's flagship school...
These are the things that will happen when a state seems to do whatever is possible to drive businesses out of the state.
JohnnyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:01 AM   #38
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
These are the things that will happen when a state seems to do whatever is possible to drive businesses out of the state.
I'd wager it is the same at most state schools, I was using URI as an example

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
RIROCKHOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 03:44 PM   #39
slow eddie
slow eddie

i was rather lucky as i steered my boys into the trades. you can always find work if you good and have something on the ball.
i cannot imagine trying to find the moneys to send my boys to school today. it used to be that the pell grants really helped with the lower income people. now it seems that the haves want to keep the havenots out of college.
maybe become a prof. as the salares top 100,000 for 6 mo. of work???

put them back alive. i do have grandkids.
as your hair gets whiter, your gear gets lighter.
slow eddie is offline   Reply With Quote