Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 02-04-2010, 05:01 PM   #1
Dave Peros

How Does PlugFest Work?

Right up front, I'll admit this might seem like a foolish question, but how does PlugFest work? I have never attended and really do not make plugs, but I am an avid collector. Does one have to rent a table to display? Is it just for folks who make plugs or is it for folks like me as well who admire the craft of plugmaking, both old and new. I'd also like to attend to honor the memory of Steve, whom I fished with for a number of years and learned more than I could ever repay.
Thanks for any insights.
Dave
Dave Peros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 05:11 PM   #2
angler229

http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripert...th-2010-a.html

A good explanation from Slip.
angler229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 05:22 PM   #3
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
Dave please come! Its a get together for both builders and collectors! Just an opportunity for us to look at each others work, look at some great collections, share ideas and techniques and maybe learn a few new tricks! Its also a potluck feast as everyone brings a dish and we all eat like kings for the day! No buying or selling though...just lots of swapping and ho'ing!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 05:22 PM   #4
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Since you asked Dave, I'll give you the long version since I am waiting for some lacquer to dry.
It began in 2001 as a plug building get together with about 16 or so of us in attendance. It was the early days of the plug forum and we had not only plug building going on but we had Saltheart and Smokey pouring jigs, we had Got Stripers(Ledgerunner baits) pouring rubbah out back in my paint booth and we had Habs and Tattoo there as well. Habs brought some supplies to sell. We shared ideas and techniques and learned where to buy lips as most of us were cutting our own. The next year it was mostly plug builders and lots of food was brought this time as well. Maybe 25 of us shared ideas , traded plugs and I think mr.pogie put on a nice demo how to make a bottle swimmer plug too(got there late because of a snow storm). Flaptail was there too.
We moved it out of my shop eventually since there was so much interest. We had it at a hall in Middleboro, lots of plugs, pot luck food and good times. Guys displayed old plugs too.
The next year I think it was Bigfish and #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& who organized it at the hall in Middleboro, this was the year the contest began. It was a blast and there were some real creative stuff.
The past 2 years it was held in Carver with the help of Mike Thomas.
We usually have a sponsor or 2 selling plug kits and building supplies and hooks.
The food is still great and the company even better.
There is not supposed to be any selling of plugs. It's not a flea market.
Trading goes on and lots of drooling. Some guys bring large displays of plugs old and new.
You are certainly welcome to come along, the tables get grabbed early so if you have a display to show off, let me know and I can reserve some space. Come and learn more about all us nuts and maybe even Numbskull will offer you a plug he made(it may swim backwards but what the heck).
If you stay for lunch, think about bringing a dessert or something like that if you can.
Read more about it on the forum and go back to check the past threads afterwards to see how they went.

Hope to see you there

Bruce
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 08:52 PM   #5
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

Come, Dave. It is more of a show and tell, schmooze, shoot the bull, forget about winter, stroll around and fondle nice wood kinda thing. You'll enjoy it. Good for the soul, very good.
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 07:02 PM   #6
Dave Peros

Thanks for welcome!

First off, thanks for the welcome and positive replies; I'm going a little stir crazy, so PlugFest sounds like a definite solution.
Just wondering if you have a raffle; I was thinking of donating a trip along the Elizabeths - with winners bringing and fishing their plugs, of course!
Dave Peros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 08:16 PM   #7
Raven

Exclamation yes! yes! yes!

plenty of raffles and that is more than half the fun....

contests of many descriptions and categories...

your original plug-fest creators are not doing it justice
in their descriptions.... i just have to say

because it is like a celebration
of all that "is" in a striper plug

a wonder land of sorts with secret swapping happening
and so much to see...and with so many in attendance now
the noise from all the chatter is quite deafening.

it's the S-B event of the Year and one NOT to miss
come one -come all....to Plugfest
Support striped bass.com...to Keep the lights on

the festival for STRIPER fishermen...and then some.
the GATHERING OF THE CLAN !!!!
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 09:09 PM   #8
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Definitely come Dave. Look forward to talking to you. I'm the nit wit in the tin boat you see in Barnstable several times a year.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote