Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 03-14-2020, 04:49 PM   #91
BEETLE

Looks like he got the penalty box for that !
BEETLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 04:50 PM   #92
Guppy
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by piemma View Post
Ray, I, in fact, have 1200 sq. ft garage, all insulated, wood stove, 200 AMP service, fridge, and coffee maker and a recliner. I stay down there myself sometimes. Depends how much wine I have drank.
I know, seen it couple years back when you tried thinning the herd, thought about that right after my post,,, it’ll need to look like the Marriott on Marco for my bride to move in and a Chico’s down the street ... ;-)

B safe
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 04:53 PM   #93
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
Spent my day of staying away from the madness with ear muffs on and a chain saw buzzing to keep the noise down. Banged out an owl for a friend who wanted something for her brother for Xmas, just need to order some larger eyes and maybe a little sanding, let it dry a month or so and hit it with a few coats of sealer.
Endearing yourself to the neighbors, I am sure....

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 05:12 PM   #94
Guppy
User

“ Cape Cod Hospital Confirms First Coronavirus Case in Barnstable County”

Chit!
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 05:31 PM   #95
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
While I really dislike the chosen delivery, this statement is absolute truth.....

He only complains. I would like people discuss more fishing too but everyone just yells at each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy View Post
“ Cape Cod Hospital Confirms First Coronavirus Case in Barnstable County”

Chit!

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 05:54 PM   #96
fishgolf

"they could ask Siri...."

That was funny...
fishgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 08:39 PM   #97
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
Endearing yourself to the neighbors, I am sure....
Empty summer cottages all sides, other than one neighbor who’s barking dog all day every day deserves some payback.
Got Stripers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 06:43 AM   #98
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

I don't want to seem like I am insensitive to this situation but:

N1H1 Virus also known as the Swine Flu.

60.8 million people infected.

17,000+ died.

No panic, nothing canceled, no one hoarding toilet paper.

WTF am I missing?????

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 07:29 AM   #99
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
While I really dislike the chosen delivery, this statement is absolute truth.....
I could be wrong, but I think the age of us originals and social media sites has either reduced the interest or changed where it’s discussed. Look at the name of this site and then consider the state of the stocks, last year I never when out with the intent to target stripers and when I did catch them, I never stayed on them long. My fishing interest is sea bass and Tog early and late season, rather be golfing than fishing at this stage of my life.

Bring back Eel Man and I can get into a good fishing debate, boy did I have some fun debating methods and presentations with him. Early on this site scheduled a bunch of get togethers which certainly helped bond us together and keep the discussions active. Facebook and the pros and cons of social media has changed where, how and if you even want to share information. Might be great for the charter guys to promote their business, but it can turn your favorite spot into a sh*t show, the canal a perfect example.

How is the rehab going Ross?
Old 03-15-2020, 07:31 AM   #100
JFigliuolo

Quote:

17,000+ died.

WTF am I missing?????
Simple math paul... by your numbers a VERY LOW mortality rate for swine... like .02% vs 2%
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement -- Keith Benning
JFigliuolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 07:35 AM   #101
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Additionally from what I understand, if you get this and don’t die, your lungs are severely scared for life. I don’t remember how contagious the swine flu was, but this one is extremely contagious, the danger is our health care systems might become overwhelmed, which might increase the mortality rate.
Old 03-15-2020, 07:44 AM   #102
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:

17,000+ died.

WTF am I missing?????
People are getting stupider

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 07:46 AM   #103
clambo

virus

Don't be too hard on people who use humor to deal with the fear of this virus. This virus is quite contagious. Press is creating a frenzy. This virus has a 4% fatality rate that means 96% do not die! SARS is a corona virus with a 40% fatality rate but not as contagious.Even the health care system can't seem to decide how to react to this as far as how to protect nurses from the virus. The protocols are changing by the day! I think they should follow the most stringent
protocols possible as my wife is an ER nurse and if the first responders get sick we are all in trouble. Spain just shut down the country. Stay home, wash hands (25 seconds) often, stay safe

clambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 09:33 AM   #104
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:
Additionally from what I understand, if you get this and don’t die, your lungs are severely scared for life. I don’t remember how contagious the swine flu was, but this one is extremely contagious, the danger is our health care systems might become overwhelmed, which might increase the mortality rate.
Bob, you may be right about the scared lungs but at my age who the F&^%K cares. We all gotta die from something and sometime.

Me? I don't give a #^&#^&#^&#^&. I had Cancer twice, 2 heart attacks, more injuries than I care to get into. Served during the Nam debacle so if I go tomorrow it's fine.

Just as long as I break 80 on a real good course, I'm good to go. Fishing? I caught, released and killed enough Bass to feed a 3rd World country so there's nothing there for me anymore.

I really believe this hysteria is being fueled by social media and the media in general.

Hoarding TP!! Go wipe your ass with some leaves!!!!

Old 03-15-2020, 10:13 AM   #105
Rmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by piemma;
I really believe this hysteria is being fueled by social media and the media in general. Hoarding TP!! Go wipe your ass with some leaves!!!!

Total agreement with you on this point.
I am completely disgusted with how the general public is handling this!
Not saying it's a hoax.......but people should just calm the #^&#^&#^&#^& down. It's a shame!
Rmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 11:29 AM   #106
fishgolf

Hunkering down with my visiting daughter. Wife is a nurse and getting very busy at local hospital. Disinfected surfaces in home and vehicles this morning. Watching "The Simpsons" while preparing boiled dinner before my wife heads back to work. Hitting the beach later this afternoon to see if the whales are around.
fishgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 01:50 PM   #107
zimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmarsh View Post
Total agreement with you on this point.
I am completely disgusted with how the general public is handling this!
Not saying it's a hoax.......but people should just calm the #^&#^&#^&#^& down. It's a shame!
I also agree that people are acting like $&#&&, but too many voices are equating asshat people and government responses. The two should not be viewed as one.

No, no, no. we’re 30… 30, three zero.
zimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 02:20 PM   #108
agsurfr

The mortality figure is inaccurate. Many people have minor symptoms and are not very sick. They may infect others as a result and dont know they have covid 19. They are not tested. Also, the ability to test has been severely limited until very recently so the denominator in your fatality rate equation is inaccurate and skewed. The truth is it is lower than the 4% quoted earlier. Hard to say how much lower.

One of the big issues with this virus is that it is new and not well understood. Everyone should do their best to keep their hands clean and away from their face. Stay away from crowds. The thinking is a distance of 6 feet will keep you out of range of folks that are contagious.

Good time to go fishing
agsurfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 03:36 PM   #109
bart
Red Eye Jedi

Raider Ronnie is still a clown. No cure for being a complete jackass. Have no idea why anyone would book a charter with him. Does he even allow homosexuals, liberals, or people of color on his boat?? Or does he smile to their faces while posting his garbage on here.

RR was allowed to advertise his business here and now he’s giving John chit. The rest of you guys who’ve been here a while ok with that? We’re lucky to have a free platform to talk fishing... you guys ok with that bigot calling out John ??!
bart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 04:51 PM   #110
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Quote:
How is the rehab going Ross?
Finally going well, Bob. Walking well. The knee is not consuming my every waking minute, as it did for eight plus months. Yesterday marked one year from the fall that forced me into having the replacement. Still need to have surgery (arthroscope) to remove the newly formed scar tissue that is blocking me and limiting my range of motion to 105 degrees. Hoping to get another ten to fifteen degrees. But I am not going to schedule this elective surgery anytime soon given the current health care emergency.

Bart, I know John has had the tools available to handle this all along. He just doesn't publicize it. Removal or censorship has never been taken lightly here. While I have disapproved of the forum for many years, I am more disgusted by the lack of decorum and respect by our members within that forum.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 05:00 PM   #111
bart
Red Eye Jedi

Quote:

Bart, I know John has had the tools available to handle this all along. He just doesn't publicize it. Removal or censorship has never been taken lightly here. While I have disapproved of the forum for many years, I am more disgusted by the lack of decorum and respect by our members within that forum.
Well said, especially the latter part. I respect you and everyone knows you’re a good and respected man. It just pisses me off when people have The nerve to tell him how to run his own site. He’s not getting rich off this as we know. We all learned so much and made so many friends bc of this site. It doesn’t sit well with me when someone disrespects John when he’s been consistently fair with everyone. I know I’m preaching to the choir so please don’t take my comments as being directed towards you.
Old 03-15-2020, 06:26 PM   #112
bart
Red Eye Jedi

I love how Raider, Spence, Eben, Jim in Ct, Dangles come here to talk politics when they could go to any number of sites where politics is the primary topic. Most of these guys don’t even fish. A bunch of wannabee big fish in a small pond here. Too afraid to step into the fray on other sites geared towards politics.
Old 03-15-2020, 06:26 PM   #113
Sea Dangles

Stay safe and be smart people
Sea Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 06:28 PM   #114
Sea Dangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart View Post
I love how Raider, Spence, Eben, Jim in Ct, Dangles come here to talk politics when they could go to any number of sites where politics is the primary topic. A bunch of wannabee big fish in a small pond here. Too afraid to step into the fray on other sites geared towards politics.
Sorry to hear about Kobe. I know he was your favorite,Bart.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 03-15-2020, 06:29 PM   #115
bart
Red Eye Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
Sorry to hear about Kobe. I know he was your favorite,Bart.
I’m sorry your favorite rub and tug shut down
Old 03-15-2020, 07:38 PM   #116
Sea Dangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart View Post
I’m sorry your favorite rub and tug shut down
It’s all virtual now.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 03-15-2020, 07:59 PM   #117
bart
Red Eye Jedi

You do have an uncanny ability to diffuse a situation, I’ll give you that Christopher.
Old 03-15-2020, 11:31 PM   #118
Nebe

Bart.. I think you should review how many posts I have made in the political forum in the last 6 months before you use me as an example.
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 03:40 AM   #119
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Well, this whole thing certainly went south rather quickly.

Old 03-16-2020, 05:30 AM   #120
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
Bart.. I think you should review how many posts I have made in the political forum in the last 6 months before you use me as an example.
it's not your quantity...it's your QUALITY

seriously....hope everyone keeps their head and gets through this better on the other side for having gone through it...not the first or last time we've been or will be tested in some way....check in with your elderly friends, remember many of them are alone and might be more isolate than ever now.. and remind them of the things they need to avoid like unnecessary trips.....my Dad was headed out somewhere Saturday morning and I asked..."where are you going?".... he said "Lowes"...I said "oh, good, probably not crowded at Lowes on a Saturday morning"..he could have gotten the bottle of silicone that he really didn't need at the local hardware store but wanted to browse... I said...."do you have hand sanitizer?"...I got a blank confused look like...what's that?? I handed him a bottle from my car...he checks every box for most vulnerable group not just for this but any flu but doesn't acknowledge it...just limit your exposure to others as much as possible...I try to do that through the winter flu months anyway and do the best to control the things that we can control...
scottw is offline   Reply With Quote