Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 04-28-2009, 05:31 PM   #31
Cool Beans

When you are the Man in charge and the people that you appoint to act on your behalf screw up, it's your fault.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:37 PM   #32
Cool Beans

The left blames Bush for every mistake made during his 8 years, from Abu Grahib, Gitmo, Iraq, Afghanistan to the Stock Exchange and the Housing crisis and even for 9/11 in some parts of the left. Obama is big enough to shoulder the blame for this. He left the idiot in charge of the plane.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:41 PM   #33
striperman36
Old Guy

It is a totally stupid thing. Again it just seems like all the federal agencies knew, nobody said, Stoopid do you really think this is a GOOD idea?
And then nobody told the state and locals crap.

How detached is our governments from reality, regardless of the party or sexual preference.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:50 PM   #34
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Beans View Post
The left blames Bush for every mistake made during his 8 years, from Abu Grahib, Gitmo, Iraq, Afghanistan to the Stock Exchange and the Housing crisis and even for 9/11 in some parts of the left. Obama is big enough to shoulder the blame for this. He left the idiot in charge of the plane.
Bad analogy.

-spence
Old 04-28-2009, 05:57 PM   #35
buckman

Quote:
To his credit He did say, that even though He knew nothing about it, he would never, ever do it again. Sounds fine coming from a 4 year old, but not the President of the United States.

They seem to have alot more embaressing screwups in the first 100 days then Bush did.
Old 04-28-2009, 06:00 PM   #36
striperman36
Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
To his credit He did say, that even though He knew nothing about it, he would never, ever do it again. Sounds fine coming from a 4 year old, but not the President of the United States.

They seem to have alot more embaressing screwups in the first 100 days then Bush did.
In your opinion and that we know about
Old 04-28-2009, 06:16 PM   #37
Cool Beans

Just seems to make sense to me, if you hire someone to act on your behalf and give them authority to make decisions for you, you are still responsible for any mistakes they make. You can delegate authority, but you can't delegate responsibility, thats why you should carefully pick those you want to make decisions for you.
Old 04-28-2009, 06:23 PM   #38
striperman36
Old Guy

some administrative positions at carryovers from previous administrations.
I'd like to see any executive in business take that position.
Old 04-28-2009, 06:44 PM   #39
spence

Quote:
Just seems to make sense to me, if you hire someone to act on your behalf and give them authority to make decisions for you, you are still responsible for any mistakes they make. You can delegate authority, but you can't delegate responsibility, thats why you should carefully pick those you want to make decisions for you.
Responsibility isn't the same as culpability. Obama made an apology and said it will never happen again. Ultimately it was a gaff but not one that resulted in any real harm.

-spence
Old 04-28-2009, 06:52 PM   #40
striperman36
Old Guy

Statement from Louis Caldera, Director White House Military Office, on Air Force One flight over New York

"Last week, I approved a mission over New York. I take responsibility for that decision. While federal authorities took the proper steps to notify state and local authorities in New York and New Jersey, it’s clear that the mission created confusion and disruption. I apologize and take responsibility for any distress that flight caused."

http://www.whitehouse.gov/the_press_...over-New-York/
Old 04-28-2009, 08:41 PM   #41
Cool Beans

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperman36 View Post
Statement from Louis Caldera, Director White House Military Office, on Air Force One flight over New York

"Last week, I approved a mission over New York. I take responsibility for that decision. While federal authorities took the proper steps to notify state and local authorities in New York and New Jersey, it’s clear that the mission created confusion and disruption. I apologize and take responsibility for any distress that flight caused."

http://www.whitehouse.gov/the_press_...over-New-York/
Conversation 30 minutes prior to this,

Caldera, "Don't worry Mr. President, I'll fall on the sword. You wait 30 minutes and say how upset you are and say you're sorry and will never ever ever let me near that plane again."

Obama, "OK that sounds good, get someone to que that up on the teleprompter for me."
Old 04-28-2009, 08:49 PM   #42
striperman36
Old Guy

The guy had good credentials. Amazing
Old 04-28-2009, 09:03 PM   #43
buckman

Quote:

"Last week, I approved a mission over New York. I take responsibility for that decision.I am a stupid a$$. While federal authorities took the proper steps to notify state and local authorities in New York and New Jersey, Nobody had the brains to point out what a stupid a$$ I am. It’s clear that the mission created confusion and disruption. I apologize and take responsibility for any distress that flight caused. Who could have guessed?And if you buy this, then you are a bigger stupid a$$ then I.

$320.000.00 Photo op...... Part of the Stimulas Bill maybe?

Last edited by buckman; 04-28-2009 at 09:38 PM..
Old 04-28-2009, 10:28 PM   #44
JohnnyD

Quote:
Well since you guys like to bring Bush into everything, if he had done it you would think it was felony stupid.
So let me understand this, Obama didn't know anything about it and neither did his Homland Security Sec.. Right, someone just took the plane for some campaign photo ops. and know one knows who or why.
The only thing more stupid, would be believing they didn't know.
buckman, you'll like this...

For starters, it wasn't a campaign photo op. It was "standard procedure" as the government has done for quite sometime. I truly don't believe Obama knew a thing about it. As even you have said, the President should only be focused on important issues.

However, it pisses me off. Why in the hell are my tax dollars being put to work to "update photos of Air Force One flying over landmarks"? We have a g-damn economic crisis going on, but it's ok to dump a few hundred thousand dollars so Air Force One can buzz the Empire State Building??

It's bad enough 200 staff, 6 military cargo aircraft, Marine One, a portable Presidential sh!tter and who knows what else travels everywhere the President goes. Now we're wasting extra money for a photo op?
Old 04-29-2009, 05:06 AM   #45
buckman

It just shows what a complete fraud Obama and his minions are.
"Change" my A$$.
That money could have saved a few teacher positions, but what the hell.
Old 04-29-2009, 06:47 AM   #46
striperman36
Old Guy

It was stupid in retrospect but I don't share the whole group should resign sentiment
Old 04-29-2009, 07:05 AM   #47
PaulS

Quote:
I want to see the video of everyone in Idaho running scared to death over this. This comment is silly..
and your continuing to try to blame the Pres. for the flight is stupid as if he ordered and/or is involved in every detail of what goes on w/the administration. We just had a Pres. where people were told to keep the briefings short and that people should keep papers they were going to give him to under one page b/c he didn't need to know every detail.
Old 04-29-2009, 07:06 AM   #48
PaulS

Quote:
There you have it - Pres. Bush is responsible for torture.
Old 04-29-2009, 07:40 AM   #49
Bronko

* This is not about Bush

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan
Old 04-29-2009, 10:10 AM   #50
buckman

Quote:
It was stupid in retrospect but I don't share the whole group should resign sentiment
Retrospect!!!! Could you name one person would would have heard about this brilliant $369,000 top secret mission and not said " Are you freaking nuts"? Not counting anyone in the Obama administration.

How many more times do we have to hear " mistakes were made" in the next 100 days.
Old 04-29-2009, 10:10 AM   #51
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
There you have it - Pres. Bush is responsible for torture.
What torture?
Old 04-29-2009, 10:18 AM   #52
JohnnyD

Quote:
That money could have saved a few teacher positions, but what the hell.
What are you talking about? The schools will be fine. No teachers are getting fired.
Old 04-29-2009, 10:44 AM   #53
PaulS

Quote:
What torture?
The same waterboarding torture that we prosectuted after WWII in the war crime trials.
Old 04-29-2009, 11:29 AM   #54
Cool Beans

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
The same waterboarding torture that we prosectuted after WWII in the war crime trials.
You're not quoting Ted Kennedy are you? But he would be the expert on drowning, I mean simulated drowning (waterboarding)

Waterboarding cannot kill you, water on canvas may make you believe you are drowning but you're not going to die. It will definitely scare the crap out of you, but you are not in danger of dieing.

The WWII reference you made, yes the Japanese did simulate drowning by actually pouring water in your mouth and nose or dunking prisoners heads in barrels of water. This could kill you, and did kill some of the prisoners.

I just think it's funny that you would reference something Kennedy said on the house floor. Comparing waterboarding to the WWII instances is like comparing a kid shooting spitwads to a gang banger doing a drive by.
Old 04-29-2009, 11:49 AM   #55
JohnnyD

Quote:
Waterboarding cannot kill you, water on canvas may make you believe you are drowning but you're not going to die. It will definitely scare the crap out of you, but you are not in danger of dieing.
Breaking someone's fingers one at a time can't kill you nor can having your toe nails pulled off one at a time. I guess those actions aren't torture either?

I think you might be confused on what torture actual is. There doesn't have to be a risk of death for actions to be torture.

Waterboarding has been internationally recognized as torture for quite some time now, including international documents the US has agreed with and signed.
Old 04-29-2009, 11:57 AM   #56
buckman

Tickling is torture too. I hope we don't find out anyone was tied down and tickled with a feather.
Old 04-29-2009, 12:02 PM   #57
Cool Beans

God, just trying to communicate with Liberals is Torture, but I'm not charging any of you leftists with War Crimes.....

Old 04-29-2009, 12:50 PM   #58
JohnnyD

It's because you conflate the issues. With the torture subject, the issue isn't whether there was a risk to life or not, the issue is a matter of ordering the torturing of subjects.

You're welcome to continue to act ridiculous and say things like "just trying to communicate with libs is torture" just because I used your own logic to prove you wrong. It merely helps me with invalidating your argument.
Old 04-29-2009, 01:22 PM   #59
fishbones

What's really stupid is that this screwup by Obama's people has now become a discussion about torture. This was a money wasting, idiotic thing to do. It has nothing to do with torture by past Administrations, the Japanese during WWII, or my son putting worms in buckets and either filling it with water and letting them drown or leaving it uncovered in the sun and letting them slowly die.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
Old 04-29-2009, 01:23 PM   #60
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
What's really stupid is that this screwup by Obama's people has now become a discussion about torture. This was a money wasting, idiotic thing to do. It has nothing to do with torture by past Administrations, the Japanese during WWII, or my son putting worms in buckets and either filling it with water and letting them drown or leaving it uncovered in the sun and letting them slowly die.
Agreed.