Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » DIY - Forum

DIY - Forum Do It Yourself for Non-Fishing Items

Old 01-02-2015, 08:37 AM   #1
Mugz

Cork Flooring

Been researching this stuff for awhile. Anyone have any experience with it?
I see some comes in tile like form, some clicks together like a laminate, some needs to be glued, some comes in strips. I only have a 100 Sq ft kitchen to install it in.....so it's not like I have a huge area. Right now I have an ugly tile floor (previous owner).
I like all the characteristics...I have hardwoods throughout my house, so I would rather not go with a hardwood pattern or color. Would rather a light gray or beige in color tile. I like the fact that I don't have to glue or grout....I could demo my old tile floor in a day, scrape clean the old mastic and start laying cork the next day and be done with it.
Any thoughts?
Mugz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 10:58 AM   #2
trevier

I did it in a house I built. Was in a sewing room, about 14x14. It was a tongue an groove system, cool floor. Don't think I would do one in a kitchen though, jmo. matt
trevier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 01:57 PM   #3
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugz View Post
I could demo my old tile floor in a day, scrape clean the old mastic and start laying cork the next day and be done with it.

Any thoughts?
Thought is, that's a one of the fumiest statement for S-B..

rent/borrow a pneumatic scraper....

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
RIROCKHOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 03:28 PM   #4
Slipknot
Super Moderator

sounds like good stuff, easier on the feet than tile, simple to lay also

not sure how it handles spilled food and drink though

I thought about it for part of my finished basement

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 07:36 AM   #5
Mugz

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
Thought is, that's a one of the fumiest statement for S-B..

rent/borrow a pneumatic scraper....
Ha.....I have taken up several of the ceramic tiles already and the fool who laid the original tile F'd it all up, which is why I have 30+ cracked tiles!! No scraping needed!! (maybe a little). But, I won't know until I start the demo....so maybe my statement was a bit optimistic.
My kitchen is a like a pantry almost. So, it's only a 100 sg ft. And the stove and fridge take up at least 30 sq.. I will do more research...but I was hoping someone had a more personal experience with it....or saw someone else's DIY project with it.
Going to use my tax return for this, so the job is still a couple months out.
Old 01-05-2015, 08:00 AM   #6
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

What was the tile laid on? Subfloor, luan, or hardibacker?
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 09:27 AM   #7
Mugz

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
What was the tile laid on? Subfloor, luan, or hardibacker?
I think subfloor....but I'm not positive. A couple tiles that were cracked, I lifted them up to find almost NO ADHESIVE. Under the tile was like sand? I had to shop vac it out in order to put a little glue on the tile to tack it back down. Was the sand an adhesive that just deteriorated?
That give you any clues? I'm clueless!!
Old 01-05-2015, 10:02 AM   #8
Slipknot
Super Moderator

installer might have laid the tile with sanded grout or the thinset was not modified or old or not mixed right.
In any case, tear them out and put down something else like you plan to

it is probably on plywood subfloor

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 10:19 AM   #9
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Yep. Sounds like they used thinset mortar. If they did not wet the plywood, the water would have been sucked out of the mortar mix by the wood before it cured, leaving the sand and no adhesive.... Demo should be fairly easy.
Break up the tiles with a two or three pound hammer and then use a floor scraper. Then check to be sure subfloor is really fastened well to the joists. See if the floor is crowned. (use a marble) If you want to re-tile, screw down 1/4 inch sheets of hardibacker and tile on that. Just be aware you are raising the floor level so watch your thresholds and doors, if any.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 10:23 AM   #10
Mugz

Excellent...!!! Thanks for the advice!!