Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » DIY - Forum

DIY - Forum Do It Yourself for Non-Fishing Items

Old 02-01-2016, 06:11 AM   #1
Jimbo

Refrigerator water shutoff

I have a new fridge coming. The copper water supply from the water pipe to the fridge is a vampire tap direct to the back of the fridge put in 20 years ago. My question is, do I need to shut off the main water supply to the house to replace the fridge? And second, is there some kind of reliable shutoff I could put in the fridge line to avoid that for the few times I might need it turned off in the future? If so, is it better to have it closer to the water (source) pipe or closer to the fridge (which is harder to get to and in a limited space (since Mrs. wife got the Binfer 5000 of refrigerators)?
The internet isn't too clear on what's reliable/"to code"/best option. Also, is there something better than the copper coil? Like a PVC/plastic option.

Fishing is a... discipline in the equality of men - for all men are equal before fish. ~Herbert Hoover
Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 07:14 AM   #2
Guppy
User

Vampire tap?
U talking about the self piercing Sadle clamp?
U should be able to shut the water off right there.
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 07:41 AM   #3
spence

You can get a pvc kit with a vampire tap at any hardware or home store.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 09:09 AM   #4
Nebe

If it's cooper line, you can buy a copper tubing cutters and a nice bronze in line shut off valve that works with compression fittings.
I would imagine that there is a weather shut off valve supplying your kitchen in your basement.
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 05:29 PM   #5
5/0
Eels

I would close the saddle valve and put on a 1/4 turn ball valvle by compression right at the end closest to the fridge,close that valve then open the saddle valve and never tuch it again.
I don't trust those valves.
5/0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 06:03 PM   #6
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Agree with 5/0. Saddles suck after you touch them. Cut out and add compression tee for your supply

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 07:06 PM   #7
Jimbo

My apologies and appreciation for the responses. I developed a sick boxer after I posted and he took up most of my day and soon around $1,500 for his surgery (he saw me through cancer, I guess I owe it to him). But, I found the shutoff, tough to see with a flashlight, you gotta reach it by hand, blind. No idea why they did it that way and never had a reason to mess with it before. Some good ideas about the clamp I'll take up with the general contractor whose redoing the kitchen.
Thanks again, sorry I couldn't respond sooner.
Old 02-01-2016, 07:51 PM   #8
5/0
Eels

Dude sorry to hear about your pup's I hope he mends quickly!

As for your GC yes have him shut the Maine and do it right,as I always say, saddle valves look great in your home but not mine,
Water damage sucks and no one deserves that non sense dealing with insurance co's.

One and done Bud!
5/0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 09:12 AM   #9
Jimbo

You guys sure know from whence you speak. Well, the shutoff wouldn't shut off even after I shut it off and forced it a little further with pliers, still full pressure, so we had to shut off at the main. No biggie, 20 minutes and everything was working fine. Called my GC and, boy, you guys think alike, almost word for word..."Jim, saddle valves suck. I can put in a turn ball right up by the fridge and it'll be one less thing to worry about." I said, "Gee, I heard that somewhere else before."
Thanks again.

Fishing is a... discipline in the equality of men - for all men are equal before fish. ~Herbert Hoover