Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » DIY - Forum

DIY - Forum Do It Yourself for Non-Fishing Items

Old 07-10-2017, 07:04 AM   #1
PaulS

help me place an order

Hi, I'm redoing my bathroom and have already pulled the cast iron tub and tile out. Next I'm gonna pull up the tile floor. I'm adding ship lap to the 4 walls (floor to ceiling) and trying to figure out how many bundles to order. The bathroom is 5' * 8' with 7 1/2' height. 1 window and 1 door. Each board is 1" * 8" * 6'.

Each bundle contains 6 boards and I can return the unopened bundles.

How many bundles should I order?

Thanks
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 07:45 AM   #2
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

If you are going to install vertically, you need 8 footer, not six.

Additionally, what are you doing for walls around replacement tub? How are you trimming the window and door? Baseboard? Too many questions for me to be totally comfortable with my off the cuff estimate of ten bundles.

Last edited by nightfighter; 07-10-2017 at 07:58 AM..

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 08:15 AM   #3
PaulS

Ross, we are installing them horizonally. Unfortunately, the style we liked only comes in 6'. The others we looked at where 8' which obviously would be much better as now we have to have a cut on the 2 8' walls.

I was at someone's house recently and they didn't trim the baseboard. Just the ship lap over the new tile. I may go with that.

I'm turning a full bath into a 1/2 bath.
Old 07-10-2017, 08:39 AM   #4
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Assuming window and door in the 5' walls, you should be good with ten or eleven bundles. You should do the eight foot walls first as you will have a lot of cuts to stagger your joints so they at not on top of one another. Any left over cut offs from this should be used to fill around window and door which will be short runs. See if they have a quarter round, or other moulding in same finish for corners if you are not confident of making consistent finish cuts. This will also cover any out of plumb wall framing.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
Old 07-10-2017, 09:07 AM   #5
PaulS

Yes, window and door in 5' walls.

Perfect - thanks Ross.
Old 07-10-2017, 12:18 PM   #6
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

What was wall tile on? The reason I ask is you need to figure out the projection of the shiplap to the window and door jamb. If the shiplap is proud, or out further than the jambs, you need to make up jamb extensions. If it is shy, you need to pad out the studs. Take a four foot level and place across interior of window and door. Measure distance to studs. That number minus thickness of shiplap is what you need to figure it out. Shiplap is usually 3/4.

The ideal numbers would be 3/4 (just install shiplap to studs), or 1 1/4 you would skin the walls with 1/2 inch plywood which would alleviate the need of using just studs for fastening

Old 07-10-2017, 12:44 PM   #7
PaulS

Tile was only around tub. I'm pulling sheetrock off of the walls w/the window and door. Thanks again.
Old 08-07-2017, 07:12 AM   #8
PaulS

Wood came in all cupped. Sent it all back and just ordered cedar. Mostly 16' lengths so only joints in corners.