Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » DIY - Forum

DIY - Forum Do It Yourself for Non-Fishing Items

Old 02-01-2017, 10:27 AM   #1
Slipknot
Super Moderator

On demand tankless water heater

I am researching getting one of these but not sure if it is feasible.
I read that the new washing machines pulse and cause the water heater to try to cycle too fast and don't warm the water, sounds strange but I understand, and there should be no need for an added tank to fix this issue, maybe a small expansion tank of sorts. Has anyone heard of this?

I was looking at Rheem, they have 2 models a 9.5 gpm and a 8.4 gpm. The bigger is $500 more. I have 4 people, 2 baths, the normal dishwasher, washing machine and not usually running 2 showers at a time but does happen. Also a large bathtub jaccuzi that does not get used enough.

http://rheemtanklessonline.com/produ...-water-heater/

I now have 2 water heaters 40 gallon gas in series and never run out of hot water. One has developed a leak so I shut that one down and turned up the heat a little on the remaining one. 11 years on 9 year heaters so it's time to swap out or go with more efficiency.
I like the idea of direct venting because that can eliminate a chimney that is only used now for the water heaters.

Anyone familiar with these?

I found one that has a recirculating pump of some kind http://us.navien.com/Product/Categor...age1/Details/9

this might work

Last edited by Slipknot; 02-01-2017 at 11:03 AM.. Reason: more searching

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 11:47 AM   #2
fishbones

Bruce, reach out to Bobby (5/0). He's knowledgable about that stuff.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
fishbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 11:08 AM   #3
Ian
Idiot

Just lost my electric tank heater, remembered this thread, any feedback on which way you went and whether you regret it?

Probably going to get a tankless LP model, unless I’m convinced otherwise.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 04:36 PM   #4
Slipknot
Super Moderator

I ended up with a 50 gallon power vent model instead if the instant type water heater for a couple reasons and so far I am happy with that thanks to Bob 5/0.

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Old 04-09-2018, 08:19 AM   #5
Ian
Idiot

My plumber talked me out of the same thing. Getting a 50 or 75 put in today
Old 04-09-2018, 09:16 AM   #6
Pete F.
Canceled

You could also consider a heatpump hot water heater. If your electric rates are favorable and you run a dehumidifier in your basement they can be cost effective. Likely if you have natural gas it may not work out financially.
Here is a calculator
https://www.efficiencymaine.com/at-h...st-comparison/

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Pete F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 08:34 PM   #7
Ian
Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
You could also consider a heatpump hot water heater. If your electric rates are favorable and you run a dehumidifier in your basement they can be cost effective. Likely if you have natural gas it may not work out financially.
Here is a calculator
https://www.efficiencymaine.com/at-h...st-comparison/
Ended up going with a propane fired 50 gallon tank. New well pressure tank and heater are in now and water is back to flowing through the house

The artist formerly known as Scratch59.
Old 04-09-2018, 09:19 PM   #8
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Cool

I ended up waffling procrastinating a couple months last spring and then my luck ran out and the other water heater let go all at once, had to drain it down and scramble to get a new one before the end of the week, but we got it done in a few days thanks to Bob.

Old 04-11-2018, 07:15 PM   #9
Ian
Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipknot View Post
Cool

I ended up waffling procrastinating a couple months last spring and then my luck ran out and the other water heater let go all at once, had to drain it down and scramble to get a new one before the end of the week, but we got it done in a few days thanks to Bob.
As with anything, I wish I hadn’t waited so I could have done things on my terms, not based on the needs and preferences of the most responsive plumber.

I suppose all’s well that ends well

The artist formerly known as Scratch59.
Old 04-12-2018, 06:07 AM   #10
Guppy
User

3500 views?
Google searches ?
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote