Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » DIY - Forum

DIY - Forum Do It Yourself for Non-Fishing Items

Old 12-15-2011, 10:55 AM   #1
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Basement foundation wall paint?

I want to begin to finish off a room in the basement but would like to paint the concrete first to try to keep some humidity out as best as possible. The basement is dry, no serious leaks, no sump pump, never had water except those crazy rains/flood 2 years ago where the water table rose so high it came thru the cracks in the floor.
Now is the time to paint the walls before I cover them up and was wondering what product to use.
any opinions?
thanks
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 11:16 AM   #2
Sea Dangles

UGL Drylok.
Hi Bruce.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Sea Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 12:16 PM   #3
spence

Second.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 12:37 PM   #4
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Send a message via Skype™ to PRBuzz
Here's a nice FYI site: Fixing moldy basements - vapor barriers can be a bad idea

"Seal the concrete with a silicate based sealer, such as the products from endur-o-seal. These are sprayed on to the cement with a garden sprayer, soak into the cement and fill the pores with a solution that gels and then hardens over a period of several days."

For products mentioned above: Endur-O-Seal USA, Inc. - Manufacturer of Concrete Sealers, Stains, Coatings and Repair Epoxies

Given the diversity of the human species, there is no “normal” human genome sequence. We are all mutants.
PRBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 01:54 PM   #5
Slipknot
Super Moderator

thanks guys

Hi Chris

Phil, that site is very helpful, good stuff
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 03:08 PM   #6
Bob Thomas
No Shorts On

Send a message via AIM to Bob Thomas
I used Drylok in my basement garage and it worked fantastic. Just make sure you have one of those drill mounted mixing thingies. Stuff was pretty thick as I recall

Bob Thomas
Bob Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 06:41 PM   #7
Karl F

drylock or drylock extreme will do fine, clean it and prep it a bit first ...ask where you buy it for them to throw the 5 gallon pail in the mixer for you...stuff is thick... two coats.. i found if you tint the first coat a light gray, than put the second coat on untinted you get better coverage because you can see where ya been.. if you roll it make sure you back brush it, it must be worked into all the pinhioles in the concrete.
My bulkhead area was always the "damp spot".. insulated door inside, and the bilco up top.. I did the bulkead with two coats this fall, and it is dry as a bone now, even has reduced the condensation to almost nill on the underside of the bilco... Good Stuff.
Karl F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 06:51 PM   #8
shark lobster

drylock and sump pump ,, never had water famous last words ,,,, if you are gona spend the money to finish the space , spend a little more and add the dewater system its like insurance ,, im a contractor , been one for 20 yrs i would never finish a basement without one ,,, and hi bob t
shark lobster is offline   Reply With Quote