Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » DIY - Forum

DIY - Forum Do It Yourself for Non-Fishing Items

Old 11-13-2015, 11:25 AM   #1
Rockport24
President - S-B Chapter - Kelly Clarkson Fan Club

Generators

Thinking about getting a gas powered generator for the winter in case we lose power. Would want to hook it up to my panel so that I could run the fridge and boiler/heating system.
Who has done this? what kind of cost am I looking at? (I would need to pay someone to wire it, unless its really easy) is it all worth it?

I don't know how prone my area is to outages in storms, but I'm in in the woods so all it takes is one tree to go down..
Rockport24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 06:09 PM   #2
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Couple comments;

Not cheap if you don't have a need for it. $2000 for new generator. Maybe 500 for electrical if your box is somewhat clean. These are the low end of the scale.

NEVER operate the generator inside basement or attached garage.

Why don't you do some research on how frequently your general area or town has had extended power losses within the past three years. Take note of the power lines and the proximity to trees as you drive in and out of your property. Pay special attention to this on your own property.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 09:22 PM   #3
tysdad115

I have a generator , big enough to power heat ,refrigerator, hot water, kitchen, and a few lights. Gen was 1k , transfer switch was 200? , my friend (licensed electrician) wired it free. I got it a few years ago after being without power for 9 days during the winter. Never again. It can be a pain to keep gas in it but I didn't have 8 grand to get a natural gas system. For peace of mind it was well worth it. Of course we haven't lost power at all since I bought it dammit..
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
tysdad115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 07:45 AM   #4
buckman

I used to run a cord with a male end and plug it in to a garage outlet and back feed the whole house . You have to remove the main breaker or you will back feed the street ( and possible electrocute a line worker ) . A little red neck but it works .
buckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 09:07 AM   #5
Raven

8500 watts was recommended in my neck of the woods
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 10:54 AM   #6
spence

I've considered a natural gas power system. Pricey but I can get a great discount through work. We just don't lose power enough to justify, but when it's out for a day that would be so nice...
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 03:55 PM   #7
Guppy
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
I used to run a cord with a male end and plug it in to a garage outlet and back feed the whole house . You have to remove the main breaker or you will back feed the street ( and possible electrocute a line worker ) . A little red neck but it works .
Pretty much my setup,,, have a sub panel in garage for essentials, heat & cold beer, cord from shed with male end, shut off main breaker...
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 08:03 AM   #8
Raven

best brand or best motor

honda?

any info would be helpful

according to my electrician

where i am....it's a Must - have

i already have all the electrical panels
set up for it -just no generator "yet"
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 11:45 AM   #9
Rockport24
President - S-B Chapter - Kelly Clarkson Fan Club

thanks for the advice gents
my power is underground from the street, but the power lines are all right up against trees up and down the street. I'll talk to my neighbors to get a feel for it.
Reason I am so worried is that I spend last winter across the street from the ocean in Rockport and lost power for 24 hours in the first big blizzard we had. Luckily we knew we could head across the street to my neighbor who has a propane generator, saved our asses big time with two small kids.
Rockport24 is offline   Reply With Quote