Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » Kayaking

Kayaking After the frequent attempts at Bribery, beatings, and simply getting towed at Sunrise - S-B opens the Kayak Forums Also see http://www.ultimatekayakfishing.com

Old 05-05-2006, 10:17 AM   #1
hulkyj61
The one that got away

Anchor?

I've been looking for an anchor and the little kayak ones don't look like they'd hold up in the currents i fish in. What are you guys using and what have you had success with?

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
hulkyj61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 10:48 AM   #2
riarcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulkyj61
I've been looking for an anchor and the little kayak ones don't look like they'd hold up in the currents i fish in. What are you guys using and what have you had success with?
Those 5# fold-ups are surprising. Grind the downside of the flutes to lawnmower sharpness to allow it to dig in better/faster is a big help.

Of course the more line (scope) you have out the better.
A 2' section of 1/4" chain will add more "dig" too. but now you're getting less compact (and more sloppy in the cockpit).
Nice thing about the chain,, remove the anchor and just drag the chain and it'll slow your drift (adjusted with the scope). Simular to the sea anchor, but cheaper and multi-tasked.
riarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 06:29 PM   #3
NilsC
Kayak Fish with us.

Some small issues with anchor in a kayak - and they can be costly!

First is the size of the anchor to hold you, I have no problem with the small kayak anchor. And if you neet to go to a bigger anchor you need to add a pulley system to move the anchor point to the front or the back of the kayak because the kayak gets very tippy if you tie of next to you in strong current. You may have a hard time releasing the anchor if it's stuck on the bottom. You don't have much leverage sitting in the kayak and it gets mighty tippy trying to pull the anchor loose. While pulling on the anchor line you may create a Kodac moment if you are pulling and the ancor lets go... you may roll out of the kayak. To prevent that, tie the anchor line to the bottom hole, closest to the grapple. run the line up the shaft and tie it to the shackle with a zip tie. If you get stuck, yank the line, break the zip tie and the anchot will release most of the time becase it's turned uppside down.

To slow down a drift use a drift anchor for a 16' boat or fill up cement in a couple of soda bottles and use coat hangers for tie in eyes. When dry cut off the plastic and you have a cheap drag anchor that you can use to slow down the drift and you can use it to attach a chum dispenser. Don't forget to use sinking line just incase you have to cut lose.

Nils

King Cove Kayak Center
926 Stonington Rd (US Route 1)
Stonington, CT 06378
Phone (860) 599-4730
is hosting the third annual Kayak Fishing Rodeo

Nils
NilsC is offline   Reply With Quote