Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 12-13-2008, 08:50 AM   #1
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Plugfest 2009 Planing & Discussion

Getting some talk going now and looking for ideas:

1) When: Saturday February 7? Maybe 21st (though that may be TFCTFN)

2) Where: Possibly Mitchell Club of previous years or Carver Sportsman's of last year (I need to work logistics with Mitchel Club or MikeCC)

3) Plans & Entertainment. I had some great suggestions as far as organizing the show better

4) Contests: Along the lines of last year? Mix it up? The categories and awards of the past couple years have worked well (some of you - I'm not anywhere near talented enough - need to knock that smirk off Canalman's face ).

5) Other suggestions?

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 10:42 AM   #2
Slipknot
Super Moderator

have both plugfest and TFCTFN the same day/night at the same place or is that too much for one date

I better start a contest plug soon I guess

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 01:34 PM   #3
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

I liked the Carver venue, but think we should put the plug tables upstairs. More room and light. Probably could fit the food up there as well, do the demos downstairs.
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 04:21 PM   #4
Charleston
Certified Mass-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbskull View Post
I liked the Carver venue, but think we should put the plug tables upstairs. More room and light. Probably could fit the food up there as well, do the demos downstairs.
Yup! Much more room upstairs for plug tables. If food tables up stairs as well we can sit and BS with out leaving the fun.
Last tyear was my first and I have to say the trip was worth every minute. I had a great time and a sensational fried clam dinner!
Charleston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 04:38 PM   #5
Grapenuts

spread the cheer around..who ever won with their entry last year should stand down this year to let others have a shot ...enter every other year.
Grapenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 05:51 PM   #6
tattoobob
Soggy Bottom Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grapenuts View Post
spread the cheer around..who ever won with their entry last year should stand down this year to let others have a shot ...enter every other year.
Great Idea

Surfcasting Full Throttle

Don't judge me Monkey

Recreational Surfcaster 99.9% C&R
tattoobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 06:23 PM   #7
luds
Night Stalker

Quote:
As much as it must feel good to win why would you ever want to exclude anyone and potentially some great and possibly even innovative plugs? One thing that I think is cool about this competition and event is that you tend to remember the plug that won and not necessarily who built it. I've never been but that is my impression from the post plug night threads.

Hoping to make this my first plugfest although I will have nothing to offer the plug gods. Willing to help out if needed though.

Is it poor form to bring in commercial pluggage and attempt to trade/ho builders?

Last edited by luds; 12-13-2008 at 06:32 PM..

luds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 06:30 PM   #8
mikecc
Plug Builder in Training

Here is the problem with carver .
It has a dirt parking lot and 1/4 mile dirt driveway. If it is frozen it's fine but if it is mushy we will have cars sunken everywhere.
I went thru hell last year grading out the parking lot with my truck and will not do that again. The time of year we have this we usually do not rent the club for that reason.
If you guys want it there it's fine. I do not want to get blamed if it is a washout.

mikecc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 07:07 PM   #9
Grapenuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by luds View Post
As much as it must feel good to win why would you ever want to exclude anyone and potentially some great and possibly even innovative plugs? One thing that I think is cool about this competition and event is that you tend to remember the plug that won and not necessarily who built it. I've never been but that is my impression from the post plug night threads.

Hoping to make this my first plugfest although I will have nothing to offer the plug gods. Willing to help out if needed though.

Is it poor form to bring in commercial pluggage and attempt to trade/ho builders?
What happens in time is the same folks win year after year which is fine, but I feel others may say why try and enter when these repeat winners will again be entering once again so I don't stand a chance...buy changing it up, it may give some alittle push to try their hand at the table enstead of saying..ahhh forget it.The past winners can still bring their goodies to show and tell.
Old 12-13-2008, 07:56 PM   #10
numbskull

Get psyched!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bmdarterbods.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	30492  
Old 12-13-2008, 08:06 PM   #11
Grapenuts

Quote:
Get psyched!

Ha! thats funny...I have the very same darter in the same stage those are in.
Old 12-13-2008, 09:32 PM   #12
PNG

Quote:
Get psyched!
hey big boy...

Plugs Rule
PNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 12:12 AM   #13
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
No Way...You want to be the best....you have to Beat the Best

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 05:34 AM   #14
Raven

Talking yeah

Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 09:34 AM   #15
Charleston
Certified Mass-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecc View Post
Here is the problem with carver .
It has a dirt parking lot and 1/4 mile dirt driveway. If it is frozen it's fine but if it is mushy we will have cars sunken everywhere.
I went thru hell last year grading out the parking lot with my truck and will not do that again. The time of year we have this we usually do not rent the club for that reason.
If you guys want it there it's fine. I do not want to get blamed if it is a washout.
Good point Mike. It was a real nice warm February day last year. It was so enjoyable cruising through the country roads in Carver. I had forgotten just how nice it is. My wife wants to tag along this year.

Plan on having the fest somewhere near Lindsey's in BB
Charleston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 01:00 PM   #16
eastendlu

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
Bring it on its not worth the challenge if i can not compete against some of the most talented plugbuilders out there ,plus this is supposed to be for fun so enjoy and if you win or lose it don't matter just enjoy the company.

Originally Posted by Flaptail
"Throw plugs like we do that will cause them to suffer humility. Pogies make any fisherman look good when bass are around. Bait is easy."
eastendlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 01:30 PM   #17
angler229

Quote:
Ditto, have to compete against the best that is what drives others to their creations.
angler229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 01:37 PM   #18
Flaptail

Talking

Jeez I was going to go for four in a row. Nice even number then maybe retire and give Numby a chance, hehehehehe!

Why even try.........
Flaptail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 01:44 PM   #19
Redsoxticket

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
Getting some talk going now and looking for ideas:

1) When: Saturday February 7? Maybe 21st (though that may be TFCTFN)

If you have a date planned for TFCTFN then I'd suggest that you call the hall ASAP before it gets booked up. Just remember I told you so.
Redsoxticket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 10:39 AM   #20
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsoxticket View Post
If you have a date planned for TFCTFN then I'd suggest that you call the hall ASAP before it gets booked up. Just remember I told you so.
Yep

Quote:
I went thru hell last year grading out the parking lot with my truck and will not do that again.
That explains your truck last year

OK - so possibly Mitchell Club - any other suggestions?

Categories will be open to all, as usual. Remember, this is A) supposed to be anonymous, B) y'all are the ones that vote

Keep the ideas coming - thanks!

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 01:44 PM   #21
numbskull

Personally, I think the Carver club is worth the risk. Space and light make a nicer experience for all involved. The Mitchell club seems small. The Armory in Buzzards Bay might be another option (my kids' teams/club used to rent it for soccer practice), not sure of details or cost (I think you have to pay a janitor to be there).
Old 12-15-2008, 02:47 PM   #22
VTBasser
Veni, vidi, piscori!

Quote:
What about if there were two divisions in each category?

Masters Division: Cream of the crop. Test your metal against other masters. If you have won a category before you can only enter the masters in that category. Other challengers may also enter (instead of entering the Journeypersons Division). Highest three scores take 1st, 2nd, 3rd. Segregate the plugs from the Journeypersons Division.

Journeypersons Division: For the rest of us aspiring masters. Highest three scores take 1st, 2nd, 3rd.

Rookie Honorable Mention: Rookie entries could be identified as such when registered to enter but concealed from the voting public. Highest scoring rookie entry in the category gets the rookie award for the category. Highest scoring rookie entry across all categories gets rookie of show.

Perhaps there could also be rattle can and airbrush sub-divisions in the Journeypersons Division. Again noted when registered but concealed from the voters and highest scores win.

More awards will give more builders the opportunity to receive recognition and something to boast about to their friends.

Thanks for taking me fishing Grandpa!

SCP - Stephen's Custom Plugs .... (Not a company - just a mindset!)
VTBasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 03:01 PM   #23
eastendlu

Quote:
Personally, I think the Carver club is worth the risk. Space and light make a nicer experience for all involved. The Mitchell club seems small. The Armory in Buzzards Bay might be another option (my kids' teams/club used to rent it for soccer practice), not sure of details or cost (I think you have to pay a janitor to be there).
I agree the carver club setting was great and worth the risk.If i recall last years was a full house and this seems to be getting bigger every year.

Originally Posted by Flaptail
"Throw plugs like we do that will cause them to suffer humility. Pogies make any fisherman look good when bass are around. Bait is easy."
eastendlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 03:04 PM   #24
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

I think last year they had a 1st year builders award....not 100% sure though. anybody??? Beuller, Beuller......

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 04:38 PM   #25
Pete F.
Canceled

As long as it's getting complicated
Most likely to catch a plug collector
Most likely to catch a fisherman
Most likely to catch a fish

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Pete F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 06:19 PM   #26
tattoobob
Soggy Bottom Boy

Hey how about a place closer to the North Shore?

Surfcasting Full Throttle

Don't judge me Monkey

Recreational Surfcaster 99.9% C&R
tattoobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 06:33 PM   #27
ThrowingTimber
It's about respect baby!

Contest should be run as it has been with no one "stepping down." That just seems lame.... Wanna play just step your game up thats all

Domination takes full concentration..
ThrowingTimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 07:20 PM   #28
fishaholic18
Finally

Quote:
You have got to be kidding....

F-18®
It IsWhat It Is

¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º >¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((( º>
fishaholic18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 10:50 PM   #29
Grapenuts

Thats what I love about the place..John r asked for a few thoughts about mixing things up or any new ideas for the fest and I suggested one and everybody crawls up my ass about it,,,nice.Well! I don't see you coming up with anything but snide remarks.
Old 12-16-2008, 06:04 AM   #30
Flaptail

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl F View Post
try it without the contest.. enuf chest-thumpery, rump-swabbery, ballot-stuffery, ... etc, as it is....

seemed to have a good time before the contest was introduced... and some plugs actually got built!...

Actually Karl a lot of plugs did get built and last year was the ebst so far as presentations (PNG offsett turning, turning in general, Bigfish airbrush, the demos were constantly going on all day etc) There was more swapping going on than in past years ( Numby alone must have swapped out 20 plus plugs.

I don't remember Karl if you made it or not last year but man it was a good one and there was some real quality work and the categories were just about perfect what with First timers awards and such.

Plus, and I hope this can happen again, the gentleman who had all that Northen white cedar for sale.

The road in is definetly a tricky item if we get a thaw but the club in Carver was perfect though I would move everything up stairs except the demos which should remain downstairs.

The first ones we used to have at Slip's were great with Johnny Habs and Bassmaster (aka Nutbag) but it has gotten even better and there is some real talent showing plus everyone was learning, I mean everyone. There was no rump swabbery, ballot stuffing or chest thumpery, it was all in good fun.

So come on Karl, we missed you the last couple. Join us. You do add to the level of quality and we all like seeing your stuff and the hijinks (I still proudly display my Karl F. BassBabyBottle plug on my wall !)

I can just imagine what Chumbucket will be working on this year.

Why even try.........
Flaptail is offline   Reply With Quote