Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 03-15-2009, 11:14 PM   #1
VTBasser
Veni, vidi, piscori!

Etex Equation or Amounts by Weight

Going to take the Etex plunge since Waldo cut off our supply of inexpensive Devcon.

Reading many horror stories of sticky results I was thinking about mixing amounts by weight; thinking for small amounts weight would be more accurate than volume.

Has anyone else done this?

Is there any reason to pour the resin or hardner first?

I am planning to use one mixing cup. Weigh the cup; add the weight of one to the weight of the cup and pour to that weight; then add the weight of the other and pour to that weight.

Below are my calculations to do it. I think I got them right.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Etex mix by weights.JPG
Views:	229
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	33577  

Last edited by VTBasser; 04-29-2009 at 10:17 PM.. Reason: Weight corrections

Thanks for taking me fishing Grandpa!

SCP - Stephen's Custom Plugs .... (Not a company - just a mindset!)
VTBasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 08:53 AM   #2
chefchris401
Chris Blouin

I just did the Etex thing for the first time myself. Its much easier than everyone makes it out to be. I used a 1" foam brush to apply the etex. They're much cheaper than regular brushes and you don't have to worrry about hairs coming out of them. As far as mixing goes I used a 1oz portion cup similiar to what duck sauce comes in from a chinesse restaurant. I measured both parts in their own cups then poured then into a shallow dish. MIX WELL. If it makes bubbles dont worry thats a sign that its mxing well. I did 8 plugs with that amount. I applied it back to front the width way, then went top to bottom the long way, gave me 100% coverage. If you do get drips, just wipe them away with the brush afterwards. The etex will combine back with itself with no signs you fixed it.
chefchris401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 09:17 AM   #3
Pete F.
Canceled

Go to a pharmacy and get some measuring cups like the ones on top of nyquil bottles. They are marked in milliliters. I usually make batches of 10, 15, or 20 ml depending on how many plugs I have to do. Mix and paint from the same cup, toss when done. I have not had an issue since I started doing this, yur results may vary

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Pete F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 09:23 AM   #4
ecduzitgood
time to go

The most important part is the mixing using 3 containers to mix. I just eyeball the bottles to keep them about even, there is some room for error. I think it's the stuff the gets on the sides of the containers that never gets thoroughly mixed together causes the problems so before I coat the plug I pour into a clean cup for the final mix (3rd cup).
ecduzitgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 04:26 PM   #5
Dr.fish

Not a tough thing to do with the mixing cups (pill containers form hosp. or from CCTackle)...2 drams of each poured CAREFULLY into one cup...mix for full 2 minutes apply...does 14 small (6 inch) plugs for me...3 cups totally not necessary if you're CAREFULL with your measurements! Spin for 4 hours in 60 - 70 degree heat...hang for 48 hours!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	spinner.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	32710  
Dr.fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 05:45 PM   #6
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTBasser View Post

Is there any reason to pour the resin or hardner first?
Haven't found any difference.

Seems to mix better in a warm cup with the key mixing for at least 4-5 min,
while tipping the cup from side to side to mix the material in on the sides as well.

" Choose Life "
justplugit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 07:02 PM   #7
VTBasser
Veni, vidi, piscori!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTBasser View Post
thinking for small amounts weight would be more accurate than volume.
The main question I had was if using weights for small amounts would be more accurate than volumes as a unit of measure.

I guess I will do some experimentation.

Thanks for taking me fishing Grandpa!

SCP - Stephen's Custom Plugs .... (Not a company - just a mindset!)
VTBasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 07:43 PM   #8
tattoobob
Soggy Bottom Boy

I use the teaspoon method, one teaspoon off each
wipe out with acid brush after each part and I have
never had a problem

Keep it simple

Surfcasting Full Throttle

Don't judge me Monkey

Recreational Surfcaster 99.9% C&R
tattoobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 09:08 PM   #9
pbadad

I have found using the Flexcoat rod finish syringes the best way by far to accurately measure e-tex or any liquid epoxy. These syringes have no silicone in their make up. I have used this method for 4 years w/o an issue in curing. Coat by 8pm, dry to touch by 8am. I do 5 -9" needles w/ 6 cc's of mix. Best results w/ 1" foam brush. Buy on sale @ Michaels Crafts , 20 for a $1.00. Each syringe is 3 cc's ea. You can get syringes from any shop that carries rod building supplies. I mix with the hardener first then adding the resin. Hope this helps.

Billy D.
pbadad is online now   Reply With Quote