Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 05-22-2006, 12:56 PM   #1
spence

Moving stone - need landscaping advice

Good people,

The next phase of my landscaping project will include building about 250 square feet of walkways, steps and short walls. This will require 4yards of crushed stone, 3 cubic yards of granite blocks, a few pallets of flagging stone and a few yards of sand or other fine material.

Unfortunately there really isn't any way to get the materials right up to the jobsite, nor is there a good location to store materials where they will be used.

The location where I typically dump this stuff is about 60 feet away, mostly flat with a few short inclines.

I could rent a Bobcat, but would have to have everything to go in one whack and would assume it will rip up my grass. I would also have to drive over my septic...not sure if that's a no-no.

Also thought about getting a 1/2 ton wagon. Would be easier than a wheelbarrow, wouldn't rip up the grass and I could go at my own pace.

Thoughts? Ideas? Anyone want to do physical labor for cheap

thanks,

-spence
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 01:59 PM   #2
Skitterpop

1/2 ton wagon? Like the big carts for moving gardening/landscaping stuff or wood for the stove? I`d go with that....less invasive, cheaper, and not so destructive on the lawn.

And no thank you about helping.... I would if I was less than 45 years old

Good health and family
Skitterpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 02:02 PM   #3
NaCl H2O

Illegal Egyptian immigrants??
NaCl H2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 02:07 PM   #4
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

terramite

will fit about anywhere, $150 a day or less. Rent it for a weekend and do the whole thing.
UserRemoved1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 02:30 PM   #5
Sgt_Nutz

"Undocumented immigrants/workers"

Or maybe I could rent you some prison labor ???

20' Aquasport CC 115hp Johnson 'SiouxToo'
Sgt_Nutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 07:45 PM   #6
tynan19
Stuck In Reality

Grass grows back. Rent the bobcat for a morning. That crushed stone you could scoop up and drop small piles to cover the area. Then load up the bucket with the blocks and flagging stone. Then bring on the sand. I landscaped for years and this is the easiest and quickest way to do it.
tynan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 08:44 PM   #7
smac

Quote:
Originally Posted by tynan19
Grass grows back. Rent the bobcat for a morning. That crushed stone you could scoop up and drop small piles to cover the area. Then load up the bucket with the blocks and flagging stone. Then bring on the sand. I landscaped for years and this is the easiest and quickest way to do it.

Not to mention they are fun as hell.
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 09:36 PM   #8
tynan19
Stuck In Reality

Yes, but you need to be able to do 4 things at once.
tynan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 06:52 AM   #9
Raven

Post i would.........

first talk to a septic tank guy...who has a professional opinion
since thats that risk issue at hand ...,(not the grass)just to hear
him say: what you can get away with....rather than do some damage..... and wish you had later...

no sense having a major setback and some stinky repairs.

you cannot beat a commercial wheel barrow ...considering (assuming) this is a long term project and a little material has to go here and there.

So its not so top heavy.....
you can load the wheel barrow 1/2 full with some crushed stone,

then you have (build) a home made wheel barrow 3/4 plywood top that has interior or underside cleats to keep it from sliding off for block with a smaller perimeter cleat on the top outside edge if needed. remember to keep your load (weight) over the front wheel...

then you have the best of both worlds with no rental fee or fuel
considerations or septic tank worries.

As for hired help....find a patient neighborhood kid who's built like an OX and set up a work plan schedual for time.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 06:54 AM   #10
spence

Yes, our septic is very close to the surface due to a high water table. Actually the access cap is exposed.

Raven, by commercial wheelbarrow...do you mean the 4 wheel style or just the HD regular ones?

-spence
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 08:14 PM   #11
Goose

Like said, grass grows back and its a small price to pay for all the labor involved,, with a 10 Cubic yard dualwheel barrow. you could get a couple buddies beer /pizza sounds better. Through my experience I suggest you check out some rental stores. They make a walk behind type bobcat which is smaller and easier to handle,,,a bobcat maybe mor then what you need and more costly too. Like you said have all materials there do all. Your project may require you to spend a little money if you can't get help, well worth it trust me.
Goose is offline   Reply With Quote