Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Sports Talk - Title Town

Sports Talk - Title Town Sports Talk - Our Home for the 2004/2007 World Champion Red Sox, Super Bowl XXXVI, XXXVIII, XXXIX Champion Patriots! SEVENTEEN TIME NBA Champion Boston Celtics, 2011 winners of Lord Stanley's Cup Boston Bruins!!!

Old 06-26-2006, 06:27 PM   #1
Goose

World Cup Soccer

Imagine if the US put their best football players and competed against alot of different countrys for 4 years just to qaulify to play in the world cup. Maybe its because I'm routing for Portugal but I think most Americans don't appeicate good soccer, too bad. IMO football fans don't come close the them passionate soccer nutts
Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 08:26 PM   #2
Surfcastinglife

that portugal vs holland game had more hitting in it then most hockey games nowadays! there have been some awesome games so far, can't wait for argentina vs germany and a possible brazil vs spain quarter final, looks very good!
Surfcastinglife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 05:26 AM   #3
Clogston29
xxx

I think that most americans don't appreciate good soccer because they don't see it. I'm sorry but the MLS is a joke compared to the elite leagues of the world. We will never be competative on the world stage unless more US players start playing their club soccer overseas, which will in tern have a negative effect on the MLS and a negative effect on the sport in this country - a no win situation. I love soccer and wouldn't go to or even watch an MLS game on TV if you paid me.
I'm an England fan (big fan of the EPL so I know about the players and Ihave some English blood in me) and they've looked terrible this Cup but they keep winning. Once they go up against a team with some creativity and finishing ability (two things the US lacked completely), read Portugal, they'll be out. Germany, Portugal (provided Ronaldo is fit) and Argentina all look good and very capable of giving Brazil a run. Argentina has been fun to watch so far.

"Remember, my friend, that knowledge is stronger than memory, and we should not trust the weaker" - Van Helsing
Clogston29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 08:03 AM   #4
Krispy

I was in Germany for the 1990 World Cup held in Italy that year. When they won the cup, it made the Red Sox parade look like a tea party.
No sport holds the same level of passion from its fans.
Ive been watching and rooting what games are available. Thanks TivO.
GERMANY all the way!

Sooner or later you're going to realize just as I did that there's a difference between knowing the path and walking the path. - Morpheus
Krispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 07:45 AM   #5
milo

looks good Tony. now that Brazil is out of the way
milo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 11:24 AM   #6
Bigcat

Italy

Fly & Light Tackle Fishing
Bigcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 09:13 AM   #7
NaCl H2O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clogston29
I think that most americans don't appreciate good soccer because they don't see it. I'm sorry but the MLS is a joke compared to the elite leagues of the world. We will never be competative on the world stage unless more US players start playing their club soccer overseas, which will in tern have a negative effect on the MLS and a negative effect on the sport in this country - a no win situation. I love soccer and wouldn't go to or even watch an MLS game on TV if you paid me.
I'm an England fan (big fan of the EPL so I know about the players and Ihave some English blood in me) and they've looked terrible this Cup but they keep winning. Once they go up against a team with some creativity and finishing ability (two things the US lacked completely), read Portugal, they'll be out. Germany, Portugal (provided Ronaldo is fit) and Argentina all look good and very capable of giving Brazil a run. Argentina has been fun to watch so far.
I'll grant you that the MLS is not the EPL but I've heard English soccer fans compare MLS to the English league 1 (actually the second division). It's a lbit rough to watch on TV partially because the production is not quite up to par with the big European leagues. It can be entertaining though, especially watching it live at Foxboro. Hell.. I've seen entertaining U12 matches at some of the tournaments around here.
NaCl H2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 09:58 AM   #8
Surfcastinglife

i think it's entertaining to a fan of the sport, to a casual fan it can be tedious. people who don't appreciate the sport are turned off my MLS as it isnt a very good product to draw in new fans. ill use my father as an example, a few years back, he'd never watched football on tv never bothered with it just thought it was a waste (much like a lot of folks think of soccer) one day i sat down to watch a pats game and he sat with me, we went the whole game with me giving him a rundown of the rules and the general jist of the game, he never misses a game now ;P. it's all about product, and if and when MLS becomes a decent product on the field comparable to the other worldwide leagues more fans will be drawn to it.
Old 07-03-2006, 10:04 AM   #9
Clogston29
xxx

I can't believe that France beat Brazil with how bad the French looked the first couple of games. Germany looks poised to take it, almost flawless technically and very disciplined, even if they are not always the most fluid or entertaining team to watch.

"Remember, my friend, that knowledge is stronger than memory, and we should not trust the weaker" - Van Helsing
Old 07-03-2006, 12:28 PM   #10
Surfcastinglife

france deserved that one, parreira was so reluctant to move cafu who's now 34 and just doesnt have the same speed he did a few years ago. he was getting beaten every play by ribery and vieira. brazil played terribly this whole world cup, didnt even put the team out there that shouldve taken the field. awful cup for them
Old 07-03-2006, 03:51 PM   #11
Skip N

I enjoy all the fake injuries. A guy will be down screaming holding his ankle for 5 minutes and suddenly he gets up like nothing ever happened. Yeah, i love soccer and thier fake injuries
Skip N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 04:39 PM   #12
janiejones
TB on a stick

I am all about Portugal (being full-blooded Portuguese!) I was on the edge of my seat for the entire 3 hour game against England. Those Brits are bloody bitter - they're completely dissing my boy Cristiano Ronaldo!
janiejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 04:59 PM   #13
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip N
I enjoy all the fake injuries. A guy will be down screaming holding his ankle for 5 minutes and suddenly he gets up like nothing ever happened. Yeah, i love soccer and thier fake injuries
Well, while there certainly are a lot of dives, it's no different than selling a foul like in Hockey. And remember if the ref thinks it was a real dive he can give a yellow for the insult.

A lot of time they simply stay down to eat the clock, get some rest etc...

Portugal is especially bad at using dives to kill the other teams momentum. The past few games it was like if their opponents had any offence building you'd see a Portugal player on the ground not a few moments later

Some good matches this last round...My money's on France

-spence
spence is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 10:14 AM   #14
Surfcastinglife

if football, basketball, hockey didn't have 45 minute long halves with no breaks you'd see alot of "fake" injuries too ;P its just a chance to grab some water and a little break
Old 07-04-2006, 01:36 PM   #15
Goose

ITS ON NOW
Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 07:54 PM   #16
janiejones
TB on a stick

Italy won.
Seems every team I root for is incapable of losing. Hopefully that will bode well for Portugal tomorrow.
Old 07-04-2006, 08:47 PM   #17
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
Italy

LETS GO BRANDON
Raider Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 09:29 PM   #18
ThrowingTimber
It's about respect baby!

You should see me watching games in medellin when I get down there, got the flag cape and all. Big fan of the game Italy is taking names huh?

Domination takes full concentration..
ThrowingTimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 08:59 AM   #19
NaCl H2O

Italy deserved that win. Today's game should be interesting. With the likes of Zidane, Figo, Ronaldo and Henry on the field we shouldn't have to worry about overtime. I'd be hard pressed to bet against France though.. too much experience.
NaCl H2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 06:34 AM   #20
Clogston29
xxx

I don't know if France deserved to win that game but Portugal deserved to lose for their cowardly play throughout the tournament. Taking dives and faking injuries to kill a little time and let your team regroup is one thing, but to do it to try to draw unwarranted cards and break up the opponents run of play is cowardly. I know that other teams do it too, but they seamed to do it significantly more. And now we get to watch Christiano cry on the frield and cry to anyone who will listen about how they got screwed by the refs and how great he is

"'Everyone who saw the match could see that the referee wasn't fair....He should have shown yellow cards but he did not because Portugal is a small country. We just have to carry on working and then we will be a big country....I am a dangerous player. And maybe the French fans were upset to see a dangerous player. I am not worried at all."

Maybe if your team hadn't developed such a bad rep for diving, you would have gotten a few calls - Be a man, you lost, accept it.

Old 07-06-2006, 12:33 PM   #21
Skitterpop

The Taliban Should Field A Team

Turbans and Roses...watch out for that bomb

Good health and family
Skitterpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 02:51 PM   #22
janiejones
TB on a stick

OK, so yeah, Ronaldo isn't exactly an, um, classy guy.
But at least the rest of the boys took the loss like men - not bawling all over the field like some other teams I know...
Old 07-09-2006, 08:51 PM   #23
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
Italy

LETS GO BRANDON
Raider Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 11:33 PM   #24
Surfcastinglife

zidane is a thug, glad he's gone for good
Old 07-10-2006, 07:41 AM   #25
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfcastinglife
zidane is a thug, glad he's gone for good
A thug? While his actions were certainly ugly it hardley makes one of the best an most respected players in the history of the game a thug.

Materazzi had been pinching his nipple the entire game, and it would look as if his attempts to distract were quite successful And Materazzi sold it pretty well!

Perhaps the Italian team can use their winnings to pay their upcomgin legal bills

-spence
Old 07-10-2006, 10:52 AM   #26
Bigcat

Italy rules the soccer world

Fly & Light Tackle Fishing
Bigcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 11:08 AM   #27
Surfcastinglife

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence
A thug? While his actions were certainly ugly it hardley makes one of the best an most respected players in the history of the game a thug.

Materazzi had been pinching his nipple the entire game, and it would look as if his attempts to distract were quite successful And Materazzi sold it pretty well!

Perhaps the Italian team can use their winnings to pay their upcomgin legal bills

-spence

ok then, let's go back in time to 98 when he was suspended for 2 games for stomping on a saudi player, or the countless times he's pulled stunts like this at real and juventus he is a thug, no less of a thug then bertuzzi is or mcsorley. good riddance to him
Old 07-10-2006, 11:11 AM   #28
spence

Thug?

GOLDEN BALL

-spence
Old 07-10-2006, 05:30 PM   #29
Vermonter

I dont see him as a thug, simply an idiot. He's been a targeted player for years, that happens when 3 times in your career your picked as the best player on the planet for a given year. But he should have learned years ago to put up with the extra little holds the great players get when the refs arent looking, and more importantly in light of yesterday, he should have long ago learned to tune out any verbal insults designed to get under his skin. I dont care what the italian defender said to him, his team needed him in a final, even more than normally once Thierry went off with cramps.
Vermonter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 05:58 PM   #30
spence

On that I'd agree

Rumor has it he called him a "dirty terrorist"

-spence