Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 08-25-2006, 09:20 AM   #1
spence

Presidental Predictions

I know it's early, but I'd like to go on the record stating that I think Joe Biden will be the 44th President of the United States.

Why?

Biden possess an objective intellect and a focus on both tactical and strategic means to an end. He's not a partisan and probably has a better grasp on the Iraq issue than 95% of Congress.

In fact Biden's strategy on Iraq seems to align exactly with all the objective expert advice I've read. Those who say the Dems don't have a plan had better be prepared to eat their words.

Biden possess character, this is a man who commuted to work in Washington every day to be with his children after his wife was killed early in his career.

Certainly a long standing politician has skeletons in the closet, but doing my homework I've found most of these (like the old GOP plagiarism mantra) to be on very weak footing.

Please discuss.

-spence
spence is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 09:33 AM   #2
fishsmith
DDG-51

Whoever has the biggest war chest will most likely win.

IMHO - None of the boys or girl on capital hill have a clue. Even your boy who drove to work - what a patriot.

No matter who is at the helm, we can't let the terrorist get $$ from Iraqs oil. That is why we're there.
fishsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 09:34 AM   #3
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
Doesn't matter who is in there....they all suck!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 09:37 AM   #4
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

It will be a fun race, I dont know enough about Biden to comment on him. I've heard him a few times on the Imus show, not sure he has the charisma to pull it off, but dont know. it also depends on the bet the Dems want to make, Hillary would generate a lot of noise but in the end, I dont think she could pull it off. Although the Repubs are getting killed, I'm still not sure the Dems can solidify enough to present a united front.
McCain really strikes me as someone I admire, doenst always go along part lines and speaks his mind on issues. Dont know enough about his views on domestic policies. Mitt Romney impresses me too, I like his style and get ti done mentaility, may not have the international pull to get things done, but who knows.
Those are my thoughts, I just hope we have some REAL candicaes with fresh ideas. I supported GWB, but lost faith in him. We need someone with vison, integrity and balls. At lease Hillary has the last quality

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
RIJIMMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 09:37 AM   #5
stripersnipr

Biden may be the candidate..........As long as he has the Soros endorsement.
stripersnipr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 09:38 AM   #6
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
RIJimmy....you looking for a President or a Quarterback? Can't remember the last President that had vision or balls and I don't think any in the last 100 years had integrity!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 09:42 AM   #7
"uffah!!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishsmith
Whoever has the biggest war chest will most likely win.

IMHO - None of the boys or girl on capital hill have a clue. Even your boy who drove to work - what a patriot.

No matter who is at the helm, we can't let the terrorist get $$ from Iraqs oil. That is why we're there.
Thank you man, you've hit the nail right on the head. Can you imagain what the terrorist would do IF they had control in Iraq?
"uffah!!" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 09:43 AM   #8
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripersnipr
Biden may be the candidate..........As long as he has the Soros endorsement.
A good point, Soros is trying to play the money card and influence the Dem ticket...

But there are many Dems including Biden (or Hillary) that are strong enough to avoid influence from the far left. Rest assured the GOP will exploit this to make us all puke, but I really think the American people are sick of it.

It's going to be about the vision for America.

-spence
Old 08-25-2006, 09:44 AM   #9
stripersnipr

Quote:
Originally Posted by uffah!!
Thank you man, you've hit the nail right on the head. Can you imagain what the terrorist would do IF they had control in Iraq?
I can hear it now from our friends on the Left "Terrorists already have control of Iraq". But in their next sentence they will claim there are no Terrorists in Iraq.
Old 08-25-2006, 09:45 AM   #10
spence

Quote:
It would never happen, this is just more right-wing rhetoric intended to scare the pants off of you.

More importantly, it's not supported by historical or observable facts!

-spence
Old 08-25-2006, 09:45 AM   #11
"uffah!!"

Although, if the Presidential election were to fall to a Democrat, Joe Biden would be my vote too. It would be better than another Clinton or Kerry!!
"uffah!!" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 09:48 AM   #12
spence

Quote:
Although, if the Presidential election were to fall to a Democrat, Joe Biden would be my vote too. It would be better than another Clinton or Kerry!!
Ok, you're 1/2 way there...

Now would you rather have Biden or a GWB clone

-spence
Old 08-25-2006, 09:52 AM   #13
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish
RIJimmy....you looking for a President or a Quarterback? Can't remember the last President that had vision or balls and I don't think any in the last 100 years had integrity!

FDR, Teddy R, someone like them.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
RIJIMMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 09:54 AM   #14
stripersnipr

In my opinion Iraq isn't the most important issue facing America today. The candidate that presents the clearest and most aggresive strategy to fight Terrorism as a whole is the one that gets my vote. And before we drift off into the "Fear Mongering" routine. If the reality of Terrorism is scary to you that means you understand it.
Old 08-25-2006, 10:04 AM   #15
spence

There's a huge difference between fear and concern.

We should be very concerned about terrorisim. But if we fear terrorisim we will make judgements based on emotion rather than objectivity.

Today fear is being used to influence the public's emotion, because our policy is entirely unobjective.

There's a big difference.

-spence
Old 08-25-2006, 10:11 AM   #16
stripersnipr

The same facts that draw concern for some create fear in others. And please tell me in the aftermath of 9/11 how you could expect someone to stand back and say "hmmmmm.......This is concerning".
A far more realistic expectation of reaction to the world we live in is "Holy Crap, This is some scary **it, happening here".
Old 08-25-2006, 10:18 AM   #17
spence

During and in the days after 9/11 I was indeed afraid as were many.

But take Iraq as a prime example.

Knowing what we know now, there was no evidence to support fearing Iraq...but there was evidence for serious concern.

Yet, the public's position on Iraq was driven entirly by fear which was intentionally marketed to us.

As such there was insufficient objectivity among those who enforce accountability (Congress and the people).

The result has been a string of terrible and corrupt policy which has done great harm to our Nation.

-spence
Old 08-25-2006, 10:23 AM   #18
Bronko

I need a little while to sort through the candidates and to really pick the brains of my liberal friends. But below are a couple of candidate/party observations from me, a conservative so far...

1.) I have noticed that the majority of the libs cannot stand John Kerry and want his name out of the proceedings as soon as possible.

2.) The rhetoric that Hilary is "too polarizing" isn't rhetoric, it is truth. Even within the Dem. party.

3.) The new and improved Al Gore has actually gained some ground among his peers.

4.) Bigtime Washington players and the Old Guard Old Money Democrats portray Howard Dean as a raging lunatic and publicly scoff at him, but the youth movement within the party think that by 2012 his "Grass Roots" approach will pay dividends.

anyone...anyone...?
Bronko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 10:26 AM   #19
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

I am sure which ever connected affluent person gets in there they won't have a clue as to how the average American lives his or hers life.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 10:46 AM   #20
Skitterpop

Quote:

By the time they get to the upper levels they are jaded if not when they started. Its the system and world they become part of.... that needs to change.... don`t know if its possible.

Last edited by Skitterpop; 08-25-2006 at 11:01 AM..

Good health and family
Skitterpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 11:41 AM   #21
spence

I wouldn't say they all suck, but a lot of them and perhaps even a majority certainly do.

But these are the people who heavily influence our day to day lives, at least indirectly. Apathy is no answer.

More term limits could be part of the problem, but I'd argue that greater transparency in Government could really help.

-spence
Old 08-25-2006, 02:28 PM   #22
chris L

Quote:
but emmett kelly jr wouldnt be a bad choice . Linda lovelace sucks too
chris L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 03:06 PM   #23
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris L
Linda lovelace sucks too

Not any More

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 03:12 PM   #24
chris L

oh yeah forgot she passed away . sorry to her , her family , anyone who knew her , her priest , her accountant and her garbage man and any one she knew better than others .
chris L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 06:57 PM   #25
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
One thing is form sure,
We will be done with George W
Thank God !!!
Thats my prediction !!!

LETS GO BRANDON
Raider Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 08:34 PM   #26
JoeP

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence
I know it's early, but I'd like to go on the record stating that I think Joe Biden will be the 44th President of the United States.

Why?

Biden possess an objective intellect and a focus on both tactical and strategic means to an end. He's not a partisan and probably has a better grasp on the Iraq issue than 95% of Congress.

In fact Biden's strategy on Iraq seems to align exactly with all the objective expert advice I've read. Those who say the Dems don't have a plan had better be prepared to eat their words.

Biden possess character, this is a man who commuted to work in Washington every day to be with his children after his wife was killed early in his career.

Certainly a long standing politician has skeletons in the closet, but doing my homework I've found most of these (like the old GOP plagiarism mantra) to be on very weak footing.

Please discuss.

-spence

Ok - I'll discuss -- there is no way such a disgustingly egotistical know-it-all severe partisan like Biden will be our next Pres.

Now go out fishing...
JoeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 08:43 PM   #27
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP
Ok - I'll discuss -- there is no way such a disgustingly egotistical know-it-all severe partisan like Biden will be our next Pres.

Now go out fishing...
I knew I could drum up a bottom feeder

Too bad you didn't supply any argument, but a personal attack is a good start. I hope you give a little more effort professionally

Give me a ring, I'm heading out this weekend...hopefully.

-spence
Old 08-25-2006, 09:28 PM   #28
Skip N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Ronnie
One thing is form sure,
We will be done with George W
Thank God !!!
Thats my prediction !!!
Hope you enjoy that bitch Hillary instead.

Only someone from the far left will get nominated by the Dems. Any kind of moderate Dem has no chance in hell. Just look at what happened to Lieberman in Conn. If you're not a hard core leftist, you will not get the nomination. Thats already been determined. And America will not elect a hardcore leftest to be president, it will never happen.
Skip N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 09:38 PM   #29
JoeP

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence
I knew I could drum up a bottom feeder

Too bad you didn't supply any argument, but a personal attack is a good start. I hope you give a little more effort professionally

-spence

So you want to get personal, huh...

I think the words I used to describe him give a pretty good basis for an argument. Suffice it to say no additional words are needed to describe him. Put it this way Spence, the way you feel about Rick Santorum is the way I feel about Biden.

He is simply a serial partisan with an ego much too large for a credible politician.

By the way, I don't really feel like typing it all out here but I've read enough about his voting record on social issues, foreign policy, immigration, family values, econimic issues, and specific partisan-type issues (i.e. voted against Justices Roberts & Alito) to justify how I feel about him.
JoeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 09:58 PM   #30
spence

Joe, if Santorum and Biden were in a room today...who do you think could articulate a better strategy for success in Iraq?

-spence