Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List Arcade Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » How To's, F.A.Q.s, Tips, & Tricks » Popular How-To threads

Popular How-To threads Favorite How-To threads from other parts of the boards that we recommend people read (especially novices) when an answer to a common question is needed...

Old 03-10-2003, 02:48 PM   #61
bloocrab
Callinectes sapidus

...lenny, fishing live bait is like opening a bag of "Ruffles".........you never want it to end!!!!!!

...there are almost NO guarantees in life...but this is one of them!!!

I guarantee you'll LOVE LIVE BAIT FISHING!!!

Quote:
..seems like a lot of work, catching and then keeping them alive. Is it worth the effort?...
...is walking a mile to your favorite sand-bar worth it??... Is it still worth it if you didn't catch anything?

...is walking on bowling-ball sized rocks which are constantly moving under your feet in wet waders after casting for 5 hours ..worth it??

...is trespassing thru someone's property, running from barking dogs...hopping fences....just to wet a line....worth it??

...If you answered NO, to ANY of these questions.......don't bother lugging a herring tank/basket/net around, it just won't be worth it..

......it finally happened, there are no more secret spots
bloocrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 03:48 PM   #62
lennyr

Bloocrab your right. I do alot of stuff now thats a pain for little or no payoff. If I caught a #40 or close using live bait it would change the way I think about it. That being said, a pole a couple plugs, 10 minite walk and I 'm fishing.

My dog won't let me fish alone!
lennyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 12:26 AM   #63
Canalman
Calling Jon The Fisherman

Oh boy... here come the delirium tremors again .... withdrawal is much harder when the object of your desire is being dangled in front of your face.

Surf Asylum Lures, Custom Lures for the "Committed"
Official S-B Sponsor
Canalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 03:43 PM   #64
macojoe
Seal Control

Send a message via AIM to macojoe Send a message via Yahoo to macojoe
I have a live well I made out of a cut down 55 gal barrale. I have a pump in the barrale to cirulate the water while travle. Then with a turn of a vaule I have freash water pump in and old water pump out while in the boat.
I like to get my Herrin and put wire ties thur the nose and also thur thr back in front of the dorsal fin. They will live just fine in the tank pre riged this way. When ready for the fish just put the hook into the loop and pull. Cut off the tag end and you are ready to go.
Dead herrin get put into the deep frezze. Then when using frozen herrin i like to cut them from the middle of the gill to the vent hole. This gives great action to them and they work great.
I like to also grind them up in to chum. I grind them up and pour into a platic 1/2 gal milk jug. Then freez them when I go fishing I have a 16oz weight tied to a rope. I attach the jug buy the handle and punch it full of holes. Drop over board and it will defrost slowly releasing the goodies for the fish.
macojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 09:54 PM   #65
OTAVARTS

Send a message via AIM to OTAVARTS
Post LIVEWELLS AND TRANSPORTATION

I net most of my herring at Gilbert Stuart in North Kingstown RI. But I have a 20 min car ride back to my overnight tank. heres what i do.

With a 150 gallon tank in the back of my truck and a pump, just a regular bilge pump that i run of my car ciggarett lighter. I keep about 50 gallons of water in the tank and when i get to the river, i fill it with a fresh 50 and start the pump. Catch my herring load and go.

At home, i keep about a 300 hundred gallon tank, maybe more, that my son picked up from work somewhere. I keep it full to the top with some well water and I fill it with the water i take from the tank in the truck. I run an old POOL FILTRATION and pump without the filter. With fresh water and fresh air i've kept my herring alive for over a week.
OTAVARTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 01:58 PM   #66
macojoe
Seal Control

Send a message via AIM to macojoe Send a message via Yahoo to macojoe
You need to go get about 2 dozen seaworms and glob them on to a 6/0 gammi octpus hook and the jig like hell!!
Good luck!!
macojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 11:06 AM   #67
herringman

herring are my life in what i use hense my name, i think they give you the best chance to catch a fish.

I have this spot where all i do is catch herring off of these docks,hook one up, throw it on a hook and in the river, catch more herring, and wait for the drag to go crazy. I have had very few times where i have not had at least a bite with herring.
herringman is offline   Reply With Quote