Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 12-19-2018, 06:57 PM   #1
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Syria

Trump looking for a win after months of losses, decides I will ignore all my advisors and pull all military out of Syria. He proves once again his grasp of world politics isn’t the best and that he couldn’t give a sh^t what his advisors think. He could save us all some tax dollars by letting go all advisors since he doesn’t listen to them anyway.
Old 12-20-2018, 08:39 AM   #2
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

As long as we support the Kurds (most of them anyway) we should continue to step back from Syria. If Assad gasses his people again, level a couple palaces and Mil installations.

Syria could be the 21st century Sarajevo.

Right now the major players are Syria, remnants of ISIS, RUS, Turkey, Kurds, Iran, Israel, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, and the USA. With a sticky web of interconnected alliances and oppositions. I once saw a pretty smart guy I follow say if you want to see Game of Thrones level complexity in real life, just watch Syria.

Less than 2 years ago, ISIS had an enormous presence in Syria, today it is significantly smaller.

Less than a year ago, US forces had the biggest battle against Russian (mercenary) forces since ever. US forces killed a couple hundred Russian Mercs and several hundred more Syrians when that group tried to attack an American unit on the other side of the deconfliction line. This could have turned south very, very fast.

I feel sorry for the Kurds, and for the local Syrian population, but we cannot risk WW3 fuse starting there.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 12-20-2018, 09:20 AM   #3
Pete F.
Canceled

John don’t you think ww3 will likely start in the Middle East and we need to keep a presence there.
Though maybe the rest of the world, us included, need to stop supplying them with weapons. Some people are making a lot of money arms dealing
I have a F of F who’s making what a doctor makes in a couple yrs in a month selling in the Middle East
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 12-20-2018, 09:25 AM   #4
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
John don’t you think ww3 will likely start in the Middle East and we need to keep a presence there.
Though maybe the rest of the world, us included, need to stop supplying them with weapons. Some people are making a lot of money arms dealing
I have a F of F who’s making what a doctor makes in a couple yrs in a month selling in the Middle East
"John don’t you think ww3 will likely start in the Middle East"

Probably.

"we need to keep a presence there"

So were you opposed when Obama withdrew from Iraq against the wishes of many advisors, or is it only problematic when Trump does it? I think the entire developed world (NATO, UN) needs to have a presence there, not just us.

"the world, us included, need to stop supplying them with weapons"

Great point, I agree 100%.
Old 12-20-2018, 09:43 AM   #5
Pete F.
Canceled

Jim
Obama #^&#^&#^&#^&ed that up for domestic political reasons just like trump is
Old 12-20-2018, 09:47 AM   #6
Nebe

He wants an escalation there to happen right around re election time. Step one is to create a power vacuum. Step to is to let it explode. Step 3 is to seize power while everyone is terrified by the situation.
Old 12-20-2018, 10:02 AM   #7
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
He wants an escalation there to happen right around re election time. Step one is to create a power vacuum. Step to is to let it explode. Step 3 is to seize power while everyone is terrified by the situation.
You assume he has a lot more skill at critical thinking and planning than I do.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 12-20-2018, 10:28 AM   #8
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
"John don’t you think ww3 will likely start in the Middle East"

Probably.

"we need to keep a presence there"

So were you opposed when Obama withdrew from Iraq against the wishes of many advisors, or is it only problematic when Trump does it? I think the entire developed world (NATO, UN) needs to have a presence there, not just us.

"the world, us included, need to stop supplying them with weapons"

Great point, I agree 100%.
Trump didn’t ask his generals it appears or our allies again Iraq and Syria are not the same
Old 12-20-2018, 10:55 AM   #9
wdmso

Leave stay not a big issue my concern it’s the reason he’s claiming isis defeated .. we are no safer from isis then we were when he took office .. they were never a threat to the states ... as republicans portrayed..

On Iraq more misinformation From the right

President George W. Bush who signed the Status of Forces agreement in 2008, which planned for all American troops to be out of Iraq by the end of 2011.

"The agreement lays out a framework for the withdrawal of American forces in Iraq

The State Department's lawyers said troops couldn't stay in Iraq unless the Iraqi parliament authorized them to do so, including granting them immunity from Iraqi law. The Iraqi parliamentarians would never OK such a decision, with Iraqi popular opinion staunchly against U.S. troops staying.

Sorry facts got in the way again
Old 12-20-2018, 11:58 AM   #10
JohnR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post

He may have spoken with his NatSec team . You or I do not know that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
Trump didn’t ask his generals it appears or our allies again Iraq and Syria are not the same
Quote:
Leave stay not a big issue my concern it’s the reason he’s claiming isis defeated .. we are no safer from isis then we were when he took office .. they were never a threat to the states ... as republicans portrayed..

On Iraq more misinformation From the right

President George W. Bush who signed the Status of Forces agreement in 2008, which planned for all American troops to be out of Iraq by the end of 2011.

"The agreement lays out a framework for the withdrawal of American forces in Iraq

The State Department's lawyers said troops couldn't stay in Iraq unless the Iraqi parliament authorized them to do so, including granting them immunity from Iraqi law. The Iraqi parliamentarians would never OK such a decision, with Iraqi popular opinion staunchly against U.S. troops staying.

Sorry facts got in the way again
Excert that people in Iraq and people in USA begged Obama to improve i the SOFA, but he walked away.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 12-20-2018, 05:41 PM   #11
spence

Well, at least we have Mattis, best in the business, as SecDef.
Old 12-20-2018, 05:52 PM   #12
PaulS

Another cabinet-level position whose views aren't aligned with the president.
Old 12-20-2018, 06:17 PM   #13
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Well, at least we have Mattis, best in the business, as SecDef.
No longer resigning as he is not in agreement with the direction this is going.
Old 12-20-2018, 06:35 PM   #14
PaulS

I wonder if Mulvaney can do this job too
Old 12-20-2018, 07:02 PM   #15
JohnR

Well that sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
No longer resigning as he is not in agreement with the direction this is going.

I think you missed the sarcasm.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 12-20-2018, 07:27 PM   #16
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
Well that sucks.

I’m old

I think you missed the sarcasm.
Old 12-20-2018, 08:57 PM   #17
Pete F.
Canceled

Don’t worry Stephen Miller, a 33 year old Trump advisor with no military and little political experience outside of domestic political is helping Trump
Old 12-20-2018, 09:39 PM   #18
Jim in CT

Quote:
'Trump didn’t ask his generals'

How would you happen to know that?
Old 12-20-2018, 09:40 PM   #19
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
Well that sucks.

Mattis is a national treasure, and if Trump can incentivize a guy like that to abandon his post, Trump really needs to be reined in. Right quick. It won't happen, he's not capable of changing course (Trump), he's never wrong.
Old 12-20-2018, 10:00 PM   #20
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Trump listens to only the little voices in his head, which is why the revolving door at the White House exists, it’s where sain people with some self respect get the F out of there.
Old 12-20-2018, 10:43 PM   #21
PaulS

You guys are way too critical. He knows more than generals and is a stable genius
Old 12-20-2018, 11:14 PM   #22
spence

Quote:
Mattis is a national treasure, and if Trump can incentivize a guy like that to abandon his post, Trump really needs to be reined in. Right quick. It won't happen, he's not capable of changing course (Trump), he's never wrong.
Agree. Not sure if he resigned or was fired but it doesn’t really matter.

You now have the C team leading the free world with no clue what they’re doing.
Old 12-21-2018, 04:53 AM   #23
wdmso

Quote:
'Trump didn’t ask his generals'

How would you happen to know that?
Ask Mattis he's the Sec of defense and was surprised or did you missed the headlines of the the people shocked by the announcement and his letter is wider in scope then syria

PS mattis isn't one of his generals and he was surprised the Generals under him more likely had no idea

Last edited by wdmso; 12-21-2018 at 05:08 AM..
Old 12-21-2018, 05:18 AM   #24
wdmso

will thoses who are inclined to see Mattis in a non partisan... How will they see his letter...

My views on treating allies with respect and also being clear-eyed about both malign actors and strategic competitors are strongly held and informed by over four decades of immersion in these issues. We must do everything possible to advance an international order that is most conducive to our security, prosperity and values, and we are strengthened in this effort by the solidarity of our alliances.

Military speak You Can’t Lead From Behind

yet over at breitbart big leads about house spending bill with wall funding

3\4 down the page in tiny font Mattis saying Retiring as Secretary of Defense

even they cant spin this one
Old 12-21-2018, 07:09 AM   #25
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Agree. Not sure if he resigned or was fired but it doesn’t really matter.

You now have the C team leading the free world with no clue what they’re doing.
In my opinion they have a good
vision on policy ( which is why ISIL continues to suffer, and why our economic fundamentals continue to be healthy despite many who say a recession is overdue, and i also love his SCOTUS picks.) I agree with most of his vision. It’s his personality that’s beyond repulsive, must make it just about impossible for people to work with him.

His policies, if you happen to care about security and the economy, are working, in my opinion. He just has no ability to make people want to work with him, and that’s also part of the job requirement. It should
benthe easy part. Not for him.
Old 12-21-2018, 07:15 AM   #26
Jim in CT

Quote:
Ask Mattis he's the Sec of defense and was surprised or did you missed the headlines of the the people shocked by the announcement and his letter is wider in scope then syria

PS mattis isn't one of his generals and he was surprised the Generals under him more likely had no idea
did you ask him?

being surprised at the decision, doesn’t mean Trump didn’t ask for
anyone’s opinion. it could
meannhe asked for opinions, and then made a different decision from what Mattis expected.

I’ll ask again, please post a link or something that says that Trump did this without asking any of the generals for their thoughts. if he did, i’d
like to know. but i don’t think that’s what happened. i think he listened to them, and then decided he knew better. two very different things.

i trust Mattis in these matters. but again, we aee the hypocrisy in both sides. when obama
pulled us out of iraq ( i know it’s different than syria), the right
attacked him and the left defended him. now we have the opposite. Hypocrisy on both sides. although in the case of syrianthere are thisenin the right, like lindsay graham, who are also criticizing Trump.

a common set of standards, applied equally to both sides by both parties, sure would be refreshing.

we need to elect different kinds of people. but we don’t.
Old 12-21-2018, 07:51 AM   #27
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
did you ask him?

meannhe asked for opinions, and then made a different decision from what Mattis expected.

I’ll ask again, please post a link or something that says that Trump did this without asking any of the generals for their thoughts. if he did, i’d
like to know. but i don’t think that’s what happened. i think he listened to them, and then decided he knew better. two very different things.

i trust Mattis in these matters. but again, we aee the hypocrisy in both sides. when obama
attacked him and the left defended him. now we have the opposite. Hypocrisy on both sides. although in the case of syrianthere are thisenin the right, like lindsay graham, who are also criticizing Trump.

a common set of standards, applied equally to both sides by both parties, sure would be refreshing.

On Syria it hasn’t been right v. Left, this decision is most of the right and left on one side, mike lee, rand Paul, Ann Coulter, Rush and Putin on the other.....

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 12-21-2018, 07:58 AM   #28
scottw

Quote:

nancy pelosi is a big proponent of term limits...for everyone else
Old 12-21-2018, 08:17 AM   #29
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
On Syria it hasn’t been right v. Left, this decision is most of the right and left on one side, mike lee, rand Paul, Ann Coulter, Rush and Putin on the other.....
I saw Rand Paul praising Trump last night. Interesting stuff. Very depressing too.
Old 12-21-2018, 01:06 PM   #30
wdmso

Quote:
did you ask him?

Trump didn’t ask his generals it appears That’s the quote .. you know what appears means ? Or it appears he did not ask them

Trump says Mattis is 'sort of a Democrat’
Trump: 'I know more' about NATO than Defense Secretary Jim Mattis
Such statements don’t prove he didn’t ask . But you need to start from a position of openness than just an appearance you care what they have to say it appears to me his meeting are for show