Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 08-30-2005, 11:24 PM   #1
fishaholic18
Finally

Gas Prices

How much is gas in your neighborhood now?
My local staion went from $2.58-$2.86 overnight.
That's gonna hurt.
It's gonna put a dent in my fishing for sure...
How bout you guys?

F-18®
It IsWhat It Is

¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º >¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((( º>
fishaholic18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 11:26 PM   #2
Notaro
None

2.67 for regular. now i have to pay almost 26 bucks for a full tank.
Notaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 11:29 PM   #3
fishaholic18
Finally

Cost me about $75 to fill my Ram, don't last long either.
I'll be selling that soon. Have to get a Yugo and turn it into a pickup..

F-18®
It IsWhat It Is

¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º >¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((( º>
fishaholic18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 11:31 PM   #4
Notaro
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishaholic18
Cost me about $75 to fill my Ram, don't last long either.
I'll be selling that soon. Have to get a Yugo and turn it into a pickup..
damn, it looks like i wont be buying a truck someday. i have to be a billg ate to own a truck and enjoy my fishing luxury
Notaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 12:48 AM   #5
Surfcastinglife

theres a gas station in town 252 plus, everywhere else has gone from 260's to over 280 for regular since katrina, glad i get 350 miles per tank
Surfcastinglife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 02:17 AM   #6
missing link

3.14@ cumbies 4 high test , my old beast of a truck needs high octane. Lets tap into our surplus supply . I also think the storm down south and the stock market plus the upcoming weekend contributed to the extream rise in price.
LINK SR

" Happy as a clam at high tide "
missing link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 05:01 AM   #7
Bass Babe
Registered LUser

Last nite I grabbed gas for 2.67. Who knows what it will be this morning. Good thing I'm not a housewife with an unneccessary Navigator.

The worst day fishing is better than the best day working. ...Wait a minute, my work IS fishing. Sweet.
Bass Babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 05:02 AM   #8
Mr. Sandman

was 3.25 here at the street last time I looked. Yukon XL will take $84 on a fill up. Lasts me about a month though. Now that the beach is open I suspect it will be much less now. Then you have gas for the boat, she takes about 135 gals every two weeks if I skimp on my trips. (several charter guys I know are burning about 40-60 gal/day) Most boats get about 2 mi per gal, some get less then one. I need a small nuclear reactor, initial cost is high but you can run those babies wide open for 30 years before your next fill up.

IMO, All we need to do is start pumping from from out own supply anc threaten to reduce the amount we will buy from overseas...once we do that the overseas price will fall deeply, they need our $ for oil, that is all they have. We could control the overseas price via pumping from our supply. Don't think so? What to you think would happen if we suddenly said to the Arabs, we will only need to purchase 1/2 of what we did last year...unless of course we get a favorable price then we might purchase more.
Mr. Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 05:24 AM   #9
MAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sandman

IMO, All we need to do is start pumping from from out own supply anc threaten to reduce the amount we will buy from overseas...once we do that the overseas price will fall deeply, they need our $ for oil, that is all they have. We could control the overseas price via pumping from our supply. Don't think so? What to you think would happen if we suddenly said to the Arabs, we will only need to purchase 1/2 of what we did last year...unless of course we get a favorable price then we might purchase more.
I couldn't agree more.
MAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 06:01 AM   #10
Raven

yessss

its time .....
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 06:08 AM   #11
kippy
Got Necco's?

Bush responded the other day that we can't snap our fingers and the prices will come down. It's time to tap into the domestic supply. I am sick of this country being at the mercy of A-rab controlled OPEC. Can't wait to see what home heating oil prices will be this winter!

HAMMER TIME!
kippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 06:33 AM   #12
Raven

Thumbs up later today

there will be an announcement from the Bush Administration about the
utilization of our oil reserves. they we're origionally created for emergency situations like what hurricane katrina has delivered to the oil industry.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 07:15 AM   #13
zacs
D'oh

The cumbys by my house in RI went from $2.67 to $2.90 overnight. What the hell is that? I usually fill up in MA as that is where I work. I paid $2.52 yesterday morn. I will check and see what it is today. I have a 100 mile round trip so this is going to kill me.
_Z_

i bent my wookie
zacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 07:25 AM   #14
afterhours
Afterhours Custom Plugs

can't believe that the powers that be are letting the nation get so openly fluked. how long can we just accept the unacceptable- wish it was an election year, things would be a little different.

www.afterhoursplugs.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Afterh...428173?created

Instagram - afterhourscustom

Official S-B.com Sponsor

GAMEFISH NOW

"A GAMEFISH (WHICH STRIPED BASS SHOULD BE) IS TOO VALUABLE TO BE CAUGHT ONLY ONCE"...LEE WULFF
afterhours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 07:28 AM   #15
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

It's funny how 'they cant snap their fingers and the price comes down' BUT one blink and they can go up in a hurry;..
$50 for my exploder gets me almost a week, if I'm fishing local, 50 gets me 3-4 days if I'm running west to fish....

Stop and Shop in Newport was 260/gal, not sure now, the proce in gansett went up 13cents yesterday; I filled in the AM at 2.67, not now

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
RIROCKHOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 07:29 AM   #16
Pete_G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sandman

Of course I can't find any numbers right now, but we couldn't sustain ourselves no matter how hard we tried if we only used our oil. We simply don't have the oil even if we had some serious success in offshore drilling. Also, Alaska is a waste of time, in relative terms. Just a drop in the bucket. Canada sits on a lot of oil, but most of it is very expensive to extract from the sand it is mixed with.

New technology is the future, if we ever want to escape our dependance on foreign oil. Maybe we could use our own oil but currently we consume way, way too much to think about it.
Pete_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 07:37 AM   #17
spence

Amen to that Pete...

What amazes me about this entire conversation is the real answer, the only way to really make any difference in the short term is to STOP CONSUMING SO MUCH FREAKIN OIL!

The estimated reserve in ANWAR could be easily compensated for by a slight inclrease in MPG standards. A thoughtful and pragmatic program to reduce unecessary oil consumption in the US alone could have a major impact on Global supply. Hopefully this would give us the time to seriously investigate alternative sources and keep the lights on for a few hundred more years.

Could this mean some sacrifice? Sure, but think about it in terms of national security and economic stability and it would probably be worth it...unless of course you're Exxon Mobile and like your 25 Billion dollar yearly profit

-spence
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 07:46 AM   #18
ronfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_G
Of course I can't find any numbers right now, but we couldn't sustain ourselves no matter how hard we tried if we only used our oil. We simply don't have the oil even if we had some serious success in offshore drilling. Also, Alaska is a waste of time, in relative terms. Just a drop in the bucket. Canada sits on a lot of oil, but most of it is very expensive to extract from the sand it is mixed with.

New technology is the future, if we ever want to escape our dependance on foreign oil. Maybe we could use our own oil but currently we consume way, way too much to think about it.
I agree with you about our using more than we can produce but if we built some new refineries in other areas then we could keep the Alaskan oil here rather than ship it to Japan for refining. Plus why put all our eggs(refineries) in one basket(Gulf coast) when everytime you turn around they have to shut down for another hurricane and its damage!
Another item everyone who's posted seems to forget- most of the gas engines can be made, at the factory, to use fuel more efficiently if the auto makers wanted to. I was looking tobuy a new truck in the near future but I am not too crazy about the gas mileage the new ones are getting. so looks like I'll have to hang on to the one I have for awhile longer. Ron
ronfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 08:08 AM   #19
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by afterhours
can't believe that the powers that be are letting the nation get so openly fluked. .
The powers that be have huge share holdings in oil Companies....... even condy Rice has a super tanker named after her.... while we are getting fluked, the ones who have share holdings in oil Co's are laughing all the way to the bank..
If you ask me we are on the brink of a serious problem.... Bush wont do a thing to stop this.. if anything he did what ever he could to cause this.
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 08:12 AM   #20
Homerun04
Which Way Did They Go

Send a message via AIM to Homerun04
Quote:
The powers that be have huge share holdings in oil Companies....... even condy Rice has a super tanker named after her.... while we are getting fluked, the ones who have share holdings in oil Co's are laughing all the way to the bank..
Agreed............

Quote:
New technology is the future, if we ever want to escape our dependance on foreign oil.
Agreed............

"You make a living by what you get. You make a life by what you give"
Homerun04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 08:20 AM   #21
afterhours
Afterhours Custom Plugs

[QUOTE=Nebe]The powers that be have huge share holdings in oil Companies....... even condy Rice has a super tanker named after her.... while we are getting fluked, the ones who have share holdings in oil Co's are laughing all the way to the bank..

gotta agree with nebe. i know that w's family and some other politicos' are big time into oil. i just can't stand how blatant this is. we are being told to go 'eff ourselves when they're not doing it to us.

www.afterhoursplugs.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Afterh...428173?created

Instagram - afterhourscustom

Official S-B.com Sponsor

GAMEFISH NOW

"A GAMEFISH (WHICH STRIPED BASS SHOULD BE) IS TOO VALUABLE TO BE CAUGHT ONLY ONCE"...LEE WULFF
afterhours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 08:22 AM   #22
Nebe

this is why i cant stand our current administration.. i saw through them about 3 years ago. Its obvious what their real agenda is.. profits for the ultra rich and screw the common folk.
i'll stop now...
Old 08-31-2005, 08:25 AM   #23
Homerun04
Which Way Did They Go

Send a message via AIM to Homerun04
Quote:
Its obvious what their real agenda is.. profits for the ultra rich and screw the common folk.
That's the Republican way..............

"You make a living by what you get. You make a life by what you give"
Homerun04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 08:29 AM   #24
Duke41
got gas?

I didn't vote for the war mongering oil company bitch. People better wake up the whole country is being raped. 37 million americans living below the poverty line. How can this be happening?
Duke41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 08:36 AM   #25
Nebe

Afterhours... are you seeing the light

Spence, i think one from the other team wants to switch jerseys... do we have a 2xL????????
Old 08-31-2005, 08:39 AM   #26
alocke

homerun4 is right

We need nitrogen engines now, as you know the nitrogen comes from water,and has no pollution problems.
Did you hear on fox news the other night that it costs the oil co. $4.00 total to produce a barrel of refined oil. Oil was selling last night for $70.70 per barrel unrefined.Do the math the balance is profit.
It least Jimmy Carter put in an excess profit tax.
alocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 08:40 AM   #27
eelman

its now at a point where for me anyway , I will start really picking my nights. I cant afford to drive all over the place looking and trying things. To make it worse I went ahead and baught a GMC Pickup in april with a big v8..I must be nuts

Costs me almost 70 bucks to fill up !
eelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 08:43 AM   #28
Nebe

HAHAHA!!!! that is case #1 where Bush has duped the american. Hydrogen engines as you call them are fuel cells. Bush has passed a law that all funding for such technology must use OIL to power the equipment that removes the hydrogen from the water.. Ne never mentioned that publicly, he just spouted out that he was supportive for a cleaner fuel and hydrogen was the answer.

sad huh... were screwed.
Old 08-31-2005, 08:59 AM   #29
Steve K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe
HAHAHA!!!! that is case #1 where Bush has duped the american. Hydrogen engines as you call them are fuel cells. Bush has passed a law that all funding for such technology must use OIL to power the equipment that removes the hydrogen from the water.. Ne never mentioned that publicly, he just spouted out that he was supportive for a cleaner fuel and hydrogen was the answer.

sad huh... were screwed.

Completely agree with what you said. Also, it takes more energy to produce hydrogen than it does to produce the equivalent amount of gasoline. It is a complete sham.
Steve K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 09:23 AM   #30
spence

Actually, I believe the funding stated the source of Hydrodgen must be natural gas, not oil...

There may still be advantages to doing this...if the fossil fuel is broken down in a factory it would be easier to control greenhouse gas emissions...

Even options like ethanol have serious issues. Politicians in the midwest love it because it's good for the local economy...but it requires tremendous amounts of energy to produce.

In the end I've seen little that indicates which alternative sources really provide a significant "net" gain when all the complexities are accounted for.

-spence
spence is offline   Reply With Quote