Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Sports Talk - Title Town

Sports Talk - Title Town Sports Talk - Our Home for the 2004/2007 World Champion Red Sox, Super Bowl XXXVI, XXXVIII, XXXIX Champion Patriots! SEVENTEEN TIME NBA Champion Boston Celtics, 2011 winners of Lord Stanley's Cup Boston Bruins!!!

Old 01-08-2011, 11:13 AM   #1
Saltheart

New OT rule for NFL playoffs

As I understand it , no more first score wins in overtime. If you win the toss and then kcik a field goal , the other team gets a chance with the ball. If you win the toss and get a touchdown , I think you win the game. Did I get that straight?

The rule should be that no matter who wins the toss and what they do with the ball , each team should get at least one shot of their offense having the ball in OT. Whether the toss winning team scores a touchdown or a field goal , the other teams offense should have a shot to score too. After each teams offense has a shot , then it should be sudden death.

Its not right that the toss plays such a big role in overtime wins. If eaxh teams offense gets a shot at scoring , then that wipes out a lot of the advantages the winning the toss team has. Its still an advantage to win the toss but at least its not such an overwhelming advantage.

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 11:17 AM   #2
striperman36
Old Guy

Think it's more equitable. Why not just play a full qtr or 10 min winner at the end.
striperman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 12:20 PM   #3
pmueller
Captain Pete

I agree, they've been defending this rule for years saying that the first team statistically doesn't win the majority of the time.
So why change it now?
pmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 12:43 PM   #4
Saltheart

I don't believe the first team doesn't win most of the time. That may be so all season lon g but the playoffs are different. They are the better teams in the playoffs and the better teams can usually move the ball far enough to get into field goal range. Even further, I bet the statistics as to who wins gets higher for the toss winning team the higher up nto the playoffs you get.

Saltheart
Old 01-08-2011, 01:29 PM   #5
pmueller
Captain Pete

Not sure about the playoffs.
But the regular season apparently its pretty close.
Thats been the defense of the rule.
Takes a clutch placekicker out of the game.
pmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 02:00 PM   #6
Saltheart

I like the fixed minutes overtime like in basketball too.

Saltheart