Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » Kayaking

Kayaking After the frequent attempts at Bribery, beatings, and simply getting towed at Sunrise - S-B opens the Kayak Forums Also see http://www.ultimatekayakfishing.com

Old 09-02-2019, 03:59 PM   #1
hq2

Yet another fishing report, Saco and Fort Popham

Yeah, I know, noone else posts yak reports these days. So I do it just to keep the board going.

Put in at Camp Ellis (yucky ramp, but usable). Rode the tides up a few miles, then rode 'em back down. Used T & W, chunks of mack and pogies. Fished the harbor mouth (has nice rips on south side) for about 3 hours, one decent bite. Saw about 4 or 5 other boats doing likewise, didn't see 'em catch anything. Tricky paddling across the river back to the ramp; pretty strong currents. Don't think you could paddle against them.

Went up to Popham, put in at the Fort. Can slide yak down long rail at parking lot (OK capacity, could be tight in PM).Rode the tides up the Kennebec several miles, drifted chunks (past the lighthouse), then rode 'em back. Strong currents by the Fort; need to stay away on the outgoing or you could get swept out to sea. No fish, but gorgeous day
OTW at both locations. Great yakking!
hq2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 04:28 PM   #2
Rockfish9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hq2 View Post
Yeah, I know, noone else posts yak reports these days. So I do it just to keep the board going.

Put in at Camp Ellis (yucky ramp, but usable). Rode the tides up a few miles, then rode 'em back down. Used T & W, chunks of mack and pogies. Fished the harbor mouth (has nice rips on south side) for about 3 hours, one decent bite. Saw about 4 or 5 other boats doing likewise, didn't see 'em catch anything. Tricky paddling across the river back to the ramp; pretty strong currents. Don't think you could paddle against them.

Went up to Popham, put in at the Fort. Can slide yak down long rail at parking lot (OK capacity, could be tight in PM).Rode the tides up the Kennebec several miles, drifted chunks (past the lighthouse), then rode 'em back. Strong currents by the Fort; need to stay away on the outgoing or you could get swept out to sea. No fish, but gorgeous day
OTW at both locations. Great yakking!
I have a house on the Saco.. in Biddeford. ..been some nice fish up that way.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

A good run is better than a bad stand!
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 12:29 PM   #3
fishgolf

Was up there Saturday thru yesterday (Wednesday the 18th) for a golf tournament.
Fished morning and afternoons at the southern end of Old Orchard beach. Very quiet. However, saw a seal busting up a big school of adult pogies. Impressive to see. Yesterday morning there were 8 seals patrolling off the beach. Beautiful place, but no fish.
fishgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 12:55 PM   #4
Rockfish9

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishgolf View Post
Was up there Saturday thru yesterday (Wednesday the 18th) for a golf tournament.
Fished morning and afternoons at the southern end of Old Orchard beach. Very quiet. However, saw a seal busting up a big school of adult pogies. Impressive to see. Yesterday morning there were 8 seals patrolling off the beach. Beautiful place, but no fish.
It's been very strange all Along the coast, it's like the fish disapeared overnight...EVERYWHERE
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

A good run is better than a bad stand!
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote