Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 11-25-2007, 09:46 AM   #1
teezer

CAr navigation systems

What do you know about car nav systems? Which are the best? What functions are the must have? I have been looking at the Garmin Nuvi. Anyone have one?
Thanks for your help
teezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 10:11 AM   #2
HESH2

garmin 330.price not bad and works great.just got to uderstand how it works,would plug in fishing site and it would get me there,pretty cool item to have.
HESH2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 11:19 AM   #3
gone fishin

I have a Magellan Maestro 3100, It is not the most expensive but it gets me there. The more you pay the more features to figure out.
It is also the most stolen item on the road today. Many broken windows because it was not removed from view. Even the mount will draw a breakin. My glass company loves them.

low & slow 37
gone fishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 12:26 PM   #4
Slipknot
Super Moderator

just got a TomTom for my wife as a gift, it has the feature that says the name of the street coming up, important feature. My wife has no sense of direction so it should come in handy. It was 399. I hope she doesn't leave it out in the open.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 05:25 PM   #5
fishaholic18
Finally

I got the GARMIN StreetPilot c340 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16858108238
and love it. I use it all the time. Just make sure you get one that has text-to-speech feature. What I like about it is that it is totally portable, car to car in a snap/

F-18®
It IsWhat It Is

¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º >¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((( º>
fishaholic18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 05:42 PM   #6
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by gone fishin View Post
The more you pay the more features to figure out.
LOL Don, so true, i'm still tryin to figga out how to tape a movie on my VCR.

Have to get together with Clammah.

" Choose Life "
justplugit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 11:18 AM   #7
FishermanTim

Not wanting to rain on anyone's parade, but what about being able to read a map?
What will happen if the battery gives out while you're driving somewhere? Do you stop and call for help, or do you pull out your trusty road map and figure it out for yourself?
My general approach to these devices is that if you need this much help to "navigate" maybe you shouldn't be driving.
This is based of the fact that the "best" models give you vocal "turn by turn" directions.
I'm sorry, but if you're that lazy that you need that much help driving, you'd be better off staying at home.

Sorry for the rant, but it seems we're just getting too lazy for our own good.
For the record, I've used map books to find many , if not all, of my freshwater fishing spots. (Some are guarded secrets)
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 05:21 PM   #8
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishermanTim View Post
Not wanting to rain on anyone's parade, but what about being able to read a map?
What will happen if the battery gives out while you're driving somewhere? Do you stop and call for help, or do you pull out your trusty road map and figure it out for yourself?
My general approach to these devices is that if you need this much help to "navigate" maybe you shouldn't be driving.
This is based of the fact that the "best" models give you vocal "turn by turn" directions.
I'm sorry, but if you're that lazy that you need that much help driving, you'd be better off staying at home.

For the record, I've used map books to find many , if not all, of my freshwater fishing spots. (Some are guarded secrets)
I bought a nice GPS for my wife because she travels with my son in the car with her and I want them to be safe. I feel better about her punching in an address and listening to the turn by turn directions, than calling me on the phone and trying to tell me where she is in relation to stores or salons I've never heard of. Also, I'm not too crazy about her trying to look at directions printed out on the computer while she's driving, and she wouldn't be very good at reading a map. I have GPS in my car and never use it. I also have atlases in the trunk, but being a man, I never need help with directions.
fishbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 08:41 PM   #9
fishaholic18
Finally

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishermanTim View Post

Get up with the times, the days of opening the 100 fold map and laying it on the steering wheel while doing 65mph are over.. There are safer methods now. A good old map is a great back-up though. BTW, if your battery dies...you ain't going no where even with a map. Plus, my car nav. will run for hours on it's own back-up battery ..

F-18®
It IsWhat It Is

¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º >¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((( º>
fishaholic18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 09:08 AM   #10
HESH2

fishaholic18 hits it rt on the head.no need to say any thing more.
HESH2 is offline   Reply With Quote