Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 11-01-2019, 10:58 AM   #91
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
guess you never heard of the casting couch

A POTUS asking a foreign leader to provide dirt on an opponent Via his personal lawyer (non elected or appointed ) or you wont get your Aid sure that happens every day in US politics

PS everyone on the planet says its a crime unless your a Trump supporter... then its no big deal
you are mischaracterizing the call as schiff did to suit your agenda...he was looking for evidence of crimes...as the democrats now claim to be doing...they won't find any but Barr and Durham will have a LONG list
Old 11-01-2019, 10:59 AM   #92
scottw

Quote:
but as always you lack supporting evidence for your conclusion
be patient
Old 11-01-2019, 11:35 AM   #93
Pete F.
Canceled

Rudy spilled the beans back in May about him and his client and who was receiving benefits.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/09/u...ine-trump.html

May 9: Giuliani tells The New York Times he will travel to Ukraine "in the coming days" to push for investigations that could help Trump. Giuliani says he hopes to meet with President-elect Zelenskiy to push for inquiries into the origins of the Russia investigation and the Bidens' involvement with Burisma.

"We're not meddling in an election, we're meddling in an investigation, which we have a right to do," Giuliani tells the Times.

"There's nothing illegal about it," he says. "Somebody could say it's improper. And this isn't foreign policy — I'm asking them to do an investigation that they're doing already and that other people are telling them to stop. And I'm going to give them reasons why they shouldn't stop it because that information will be very, very helpful to my client and may turn out to be helpful to my government."

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 11-01-2019, 12:00 PM   #94
ReelinRod

Quote:
Trump administration who argued that current and former senior White House aides have "absolute immunity" from being questioned by House impeachment investigators.

can you say dictator

LOL

https://www.judicialwatch.org/corrup...olders-wife-2/

You can’t truly call yourself “peaceful” unless you are capable of great violence.
If you are incapable of violence, you are not peaceful, you are just harmless.
Old 11-01-2019, 12:09 PM   #95
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
Rudy spilled the beans back in May about him and his client and who was receiving benefits.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/09/u...ine-trump.html

May 9: Giuliani tells The New York Times he will travel to Ukraine "in the coming days" to push for investigations that could help Trump. Giuliani says he hopes to meet with President-elect Zelenskiy to push for inquiries into the origins of the Russia investigation and the Bidens' involvement with Burisma.

"We're not meddling in an election, we're meddling in an investigation, which we have a right to do," Giuliani tells the Times.

"There's nothing illegal about it," he says. "Somebody could say it's improper. And this isn't foreign policy — I'm asking them to do an investigation that they're doing already and that other people are telling them to stop. And I'm going to give them reasons why they shouldn't stop it because that information will be very, very helpful to my client and may turn out to be helpful to my government."
So Rudy is trying to help Trump do his job to the best of his ability, which in turn, if the investigation turns up sufficient evidence, could be helpful to our government in rooting out corruption, which could go a long way to preventing it in the future.

Good to know that Rudy is being helpful in such a good cause.
Old 11-01-2019, 12:50 PM   #96
Pete F.
Canceled

If they didn’t hold the funding hostage it would have been just sleazy.
But they did
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 11-01-2019, 03:05 PM   #97
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReelinRod View Post
Wow 20 letters .. looks like your in the crowd some how they are the same .executive privilege and Absolute immunity are not the same.. but but Obama
Old 11-01-2019, 03:20 PM   #98
Jim in CT

Quote:
.. but but Obama
How come it's not valid to ask why Trump is obviously being held to a different standard than Obama? Instead of responding with "but Obama", how about either admitting that there is a double standard, or kindly explaining why the specific comparison isn't valid?

"But Obama" is a lazy excuse for small people who know they've been caught in hypocrisy, but won't admit it. That's all it is...
Old 11-01-2019, 03:39 PM   #99
scottw

Quote:

. looks like your in the crowd some how they are the same .executive privilege and Absolute immunity are not the same.. but but Obama

don't forget absolute privilege and executive immunity
Old 11-01-2019, 03:39 PM   #100
detbuch

Quote:
If they didn’t hold the funding hostage it would have been just sleazy.
But they did
They didn't.
Old 11-01-2019, 03:41 PM   #101
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
They didn't.
shhhhh...he's on a roll
Old 11-01-2019, 05:51 PM   #102
Pete F.
Canceled

They did, you can be incompetent and still be guilty
Given the breaking news about govt lawyers John Eisenberg & maybe Michael Ellis allegedly helping cover up Trump's crimes...
it's a good time to remember both of Nixon's AGs and 6 other govt lawyers were convicted of crimes related to cover-ups:
Old 11-01-2019, 06:03 PM   #103
Jim in CT

Quote:
Given the breaking news about govt lawyers John Eisenberg & maybe Michael Ellis allegedly helping cover up Trump's crimes...
it's a good time to remember both of Nixon's AGs and 6 other govt lawyers were convicted of crimes related to cover-ups:
I they withheld the aid, what was the trigger that incentivized them to release the aid? Did the investigate Biden?
Old 11-01-2019, 06:11 PM   #104
detbuch

Quote:
We been having "breaking news" allegations about Trump for four years. Is this the big one?

And no, they didn't.
Old 11-01-2019, 10:16 PM   #105
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
We been having "breaking news" allegations about Trump for four years. Is this the big one?

And no, they didn't.
breaking news! Rachael Maddow has his tax return!

breaking news! buzzfeed says trump told Cohen to lie under oath!

now, impeach the motherf*cker.
Old 11-02-2019, 12:32 PM   #106
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
I they withheld the aid, what was the trigger that incentivized them to release the aid? Did the investigate Biden?
You could try that after you offered a cop a bribe, wouldn’t work in that case either

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 11-02-2019, 02:36 PM   #107
detbuch

Quote:
You could try that after you offered a cop a bribe, wouldn’t work in that case either
No bribe was offered.
Old 11-02-2019, 03:17 PM   #108
spence

Quote:
I they withheld the aid, what was the trigger that incentivized them to release the aid?
Likely all the people rushing to legal council with what they were witnessing.
Old 11-02-2019, 06:35 PM   #109
Pete F.
Canceled

A prosecutors explanation

Conspiracies are often caught and punished severely before they are completed. And interestingly, to be liable for a conspiracy, one need only have been part of the agreement to commit a crime and committed an overt act (however small) in furtherance of it.
In other words, the question that the law looks to isn’t “What was the outcome?” (though that might be relevant in sentencing), it’s “What was your state of mind/intent?” and “What actions did you undertake that manifest this intent?”
This is the right approach, because otherwise criminals who had the most nefarious goals would get off lightly simply because law enforcement was good at their job, or because someone helped thwart it, or simply because they were too dumb to get away with it!
The question for Trump, therefore, isn’t whether his plan “worked.” It’s what he hoped to achieve (coerce a country for election assistance; generate propaganda about a sham investigation; use money appropriated by Congress as personal leverage)
He also took numerous steps to achieve this goal, beyond the phone call: ordered aid withheld; made it clear to subordinates that he wanted “deliverables”; directed Ukraine to deal with his personal lawyer; had his team draft a statement for Zelensky to deliver.
Minimizing the severity of Trump’s actions is an attempt to 1) narrow the focus to *only* the phone call (ignoring everything before and after); and 2) looking at the results, rather than commission, of the crime(s). Doesn’t work that way.
Old 11-02-2019, 08:36 PM   #110
Jim in CT

Quote:
i’m asking a question. if the aid was originally withheld, what made them eventually hand over the aid?
Old 11-02-2019, 08:37 PM   #111
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Likely all the people rushing to legal council with what they were witnessing.
“likely”. so you don’t know, but know he should be removed from office for it.
Old 11-02-2019, 09:51 PM   #112
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
i’m asking a question. if the aid was originally withheld, what made them eventually hand over the aid?
Doesn’t matter, crime was already committed.
That’s the reason you have people testifying, even though the WH told them not to
They don’t want to be part of the conspiracy.
Two choices
A. Try and convince the electorate that it’s perfectly acceptable to withhold authorized funds for a personal benefit.
B. Show that you objected to the abuse of power or didn’t know about it.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 11-02-2019, 10:17 PM   #113
Jim in CT

Quote:
Doesn’t matter, crime was already committed.
That’s the reason you have people testifying, even though the WH told them not to
They don’t want to be part of the conspiracy.
Two choices
A. Try and convince the electorate that it’s perfectly acceptable to withhold authorized funds for a personal benefit.
B. Show that you objected to the abuse of power or didn’t know about it.
"Doesn’t matter,"

So you don't know either, got it.

"crime was already committed." If threatening to withhold foreign aid unless the recipient does what you want is a crime, explain why Biden didn't commit a crime, for what he bragged about in front of the cameras?

Or was that not the crime you refer to?
Old 11-02-2019, 10:34 PM   #114
detbuch

Quote:
A prosecutors explanation

Conspiracies are often caught and punished severely before they are completed. And interestingly, to be liable for a conspiracy, one need only have been part of the agreement to commit a crime and committed an overt act (however small) in furtherance of it.
In other words, the question that the law looks to isn’t “What was the outcome?” (though that might be relevant in sentencing), it’s “What was your state of mind/intent?” and “What actions did you undertake that manifest this intent?”
This is the right approach, because otherwise criminals who had the most nefarious goals would get off lightly simply because law enforcement was good at their job, or because someone helped thwart it, or simply because they were too dumb to get away with it!
The question for Trump, therefore, isn’t whether his plan “worked.” It’s what he hoped to achieve (coerce a country for election assistance; generate propaganda about a sham investigation; use money appropriated by Congress as personal leverage)
He also took numerous steps to achieve this goal, beyond the phone call: ordered aid withheld; made it clear to subordinates that he wanted “deliverables”; directed Ukraine to deal with his personal lawyer; had his team draft a statement for Zelensky to deliver.
Minimizing the severity of Trump’s actions is an attempt to 1) narrow the focus to *only* the phone call (ignoring everything before and after); and 2) looking at the results, rather than commission, of the crime(s). Doesn’t work that way.
As I said before re the Mueller report wherein he did not state that there was sufficient evidence to indict for obstruction. Nothing was proven to be obstructed. And the investigation showed that there was no underlying crime. So an intent to commit an illegal act would have to be proved. But if Trump's state of mind was that he knew he didn't commit conspiracy, then it would be very difficult, if not impossible, to show intent to commit a crime.

Same would apply here. If Trump believed that asking Ukraine to investigate (which he had a legal right to do) would help to expose corruption, and no underlying crime was proven to have occurred, (remember as well That Zelensky said he was not pressured and didn't know about the aid being withheld at the time of the call and that Trump said it was for other reasons), then it would be very difficult to prove an intent to commit a criminal act.

Last edited by detbuch; 11-02-2019 at 11:32 PM..
Old 11-03-2019, 06:04 AM   #115
Pete F.
Canceled

the "smoking gun" tape ensuring Nixon's impeachment was an order by him to have the CIA impede the FBI investigation into Watergate burglaries. The CIA didn't follow through; the FBI investigation continued. RN's request alone was (rightly) deemed corrupt enough.
Old 11-03-2019, 06:17 AM   #116
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
"Doesn’t matter,"

So you don't know either, got it.

"crime was already committed." If threatening to withhold foreign aid unless the recipient does what you want is a crime, explain why Biden didn't commit a crime, for what he bragged about in front of the cameras?

Or was that not the crime you refer to?
People ranging from former Obama administration officials to an anti-corruption advocate in Ukraine say the official, Viktor Shokin, was ousted for the opposite reason Trump and his allies claim.

It wasn't because Shokin was investigating a natural gas company tied to Biden's son; it was because Shokin wasn't pursuing corruption among the country's politicians, according to a Ukrainian official and four former American officials who specialized in Ukraine and Europe.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 11-03-2019, 07:01 AM   #117
scottw

Quote:
People ranging from former Obama administration officials to an anti-corruption advocate in Ukraine say the official, Viktor Shokin, was ousted for the opposite reason Trump and his allies claim.

It wasn't because Shokin was investigating a natural gas company tied to Biden's son; it was because Shokin wasn't pursuing corruption among the country's politicians, according to a Ukrainian official and four former American officials who specialized in Ukraine and Europe.
lotta people on the Burisma payroll apparently
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	44104965_10155594239696360_1585276891424620544_n.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	66650  
Old 11-03-2019, 08:34 AM   #118
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
lotta people on the Burisma payroll apparently
🍑🤡

Lets Go Darwin
Old 11-03-2019, 09:43 AM   #119
Jim in CT

Quote:

doesn’t come close to answering the question i asked.

do you need me to repeat it? if withholding aid as leverage to get a foreign power to do what you want, is a crime, how can you deny that biden committed the same crime?
Old 11-03-2019, 10:34 AM   #120
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
doesn’t come close to answering the question i asked.

do you need me to repeat it? if withholding aid as leverage to get a foreign power to do what you want, is a crime, how can you deny that biden committed the same crime?
What benefit did he receive?
Did he receive assistance from a foreign government in our elections

Lets Go Darwin