Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 09-09-2020, 11:51 AM   #1
RickBomba

Butt Boy Billy and his Swamp Plug

So now MY tax dollars should be spent defending Dirty Donny and his dirty past.

We should be paying for E. Jean Carrol’s testimony at this point, not paying to bury it.

Thank you Bill Barr. You are wiping your ass with the American flag at this point.

The Gasden Flag should read, “I wipe with it,” at this point.

GFY.

John Redmond Thinks He's Smart By Changing My Avatar
Old 09-09-2020, 01:35 PM   #2
Pete F.
Canceled

And now we find out that the same guy who only last night was using the DOJ to defend himself against rape accusations lied about a deadly pandemic that has killed 190K+
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 09-09-2020, 01:57 PM   #3
RickBomba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
And now we find out that the same guy who only last night was using the DOJ to defend himself against rape accusations lied about a deadly pandemic that has killed 190K+
In defense of POSTUS, I can’t remember the last time he told the truth, so kicking a man about lying when he’s down, just might not be fair.

Old 09-09-2020, 03:45 PM   #4
Nebe

How can this be legal?
Old 09-09-2020, 03:55 PM   #5
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
How can this be legal?
When you are an authoritarian, you control the senate and own the AG, you do what he suggested he could do on 5th ave. This is just more of the same, this administration has no respect for law.
Old 09-09-2020, 04:12 PM   #6
Nebe

I guess not. On the flip side, why should my tax dollars to to pay for an inmate’s sex change ?!
Old 09-09-2020, 05:05 PM   #7
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
I guess not. On the flip side, why should my tax dollars to to pay for an inmate’s sex change ?!
Yeah that’s just an injustice for tax payers, want a sex change wait until you serve your time and save the money.
Old 09-10-2020, 07:45 AM   #8
RickBomba

Quote:
If we’re paying for sex changes, Butt Boy Billy Barr should be in the front row.

I think he’d look a little better with a little less nose showing sticking out of the Orange #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&, but that’s just me.

Trump told him they were pillows.

Old 09-10-2020, 08:53 AM   #9
wdmso

using some obscure law from the 80s .. but some Federal lawyers or The white house must have said This should help Trump.. and Barr is about the least independent AG ever appointed
Old 09-10-2020, 10:41 AM   #10
Pete F.
Canceled

The Westfall Act also lets DOJ step into the shoes of an individual federal defendant—here, Donald Trump—and substitute the United States. Once that happens, the defendant is no longer Trump-the-individual. The defendant becomes the United States, which cannot be sued for defamation under federal law. DOJ’s intervention in Carroll’s suit is thus an attempt to get her case thrown out entirely by claiming that Trump is totally immune from the lawsuit—even though a private person who did the very same thing that Trump is accused of would not be immune.

But DOJ has a problem. In order to step into Trump’s shoes, it had to file a piece of paper certifying that, when Trump called Carroll a liar, he was “acting within the scope of his office or employment at the time of the incident out of which the claim arose.” Although most federal employees would prefer to have the government pick up the tab for lawsuits filed against them, DOJ only jumps into suits at its discretion. It is optional.

Under the governing regulations, deciding whether to intervene involves a two-step test. First, the conduct must have occurred in the scope of the employee’s work. Second—and this is critical—“the Attorney General or his designee [must] determine[] that providing representation would otherwise be in the interest of the United States.”

Meanwhile, the U.S. Supreme Court has held that DOJ’s certification can be challenged before a judge. Presumably, Carroll’s lawyers will ask for discovery into why DOJ determined that Trump was acting as president when he claimed repeatedly that there is no factual basis for her rape allegations. Under New York law, one of the elements for determining whether an employee is acting in his official capacity is whether Trump’s act of publicly denying the rape and claiming he never met Carroll was in furtherance of the interests of his employer, the United States, and whether that act was done as part of his duties as president.

In sum, the federal judge assigned to this case will likely hear argument from the DOJ that defending Trump in a defamation suit involving an alleged rape while he was a private citizen somehow serves the interests of the United States of America.

This legal immunity ploy by Trump is all too familiar. The Supreme Court in Trump v. Vance just rejected a similar argument by Trump’s lawyers that his family, his banks, and his accountants are totally immune from a grand jury subpoena because of his position as president. The Supreme Court was hung up on the notion that nobody is utterly above the law—even Trump.

Too bad the Department of Justice no longer appears to care.
Old 09-10-2020, 11:01 AM   #11
RickBomba

Our tax dollars at work.

TrumpForTaxEvasion2020