Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 02-01-2011, 09:40 PM   #1
blackjack

Spook nose grommet problem!

Well I turned some spook style baits and ran into a little problem. I drilled the spooks off center so that the line tie would be lower than the nose of the bait. My problem is that when I assembled the baits with the thru wire the 3/16" nose grommet will not sit flush with the slope of the line tie location. On the top side it sits fine on the underside it sticks out off the bait profile. Can I just scrap the nose grommet and thru wire without it and just fill the cavity with epoxy?
Thanks in Advance!!
blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:23 PM   #2
pbadad

On the next spook try recessing the hole to fit the outside dimention of grommet. It will be slightly in for a flush fit. Epoxy the wire in w/o grommet is always another way.

Billy D.
pbadad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 10:19 AM   #3
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Like stated above you have to counterbore the hole till you get a flat surface so your nose grommet sits flush or almost flush. I usually go in till I get about 75% of a flat. The nose grommet should be 5/32 dia. not 3/16, which is why most thru drill with a 5/32 drill. I made a tool for doing the counter bore. Has a 5/32 pilot on it and a 1/4 inch counterbore, which is what the outside dia. of the nose grommet is. I use this on any plug that has an angle or round face on it. Much the same as some people use for counter boring belly grommet areas. I can get you a few pics if you can't envision it.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:50 PM   #4
blackjack

Much thanks!!

I will give that a try!! I was also thinking that I could remove the flange from the grommet all together and just flush mount the remaining piece into the body. Again Thanks!!
blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:09 AM   #5
JFigliuolo

Or skip the grommet all together and fish the damn thing. I've got more than a few plugs w/o nose grommets. They're fine. If they get f'd up, go make another one.

Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement -- Keith Benning
JFigliuolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 11:07 AM   #6
JFigliuolo

Don't cinch it down so tight... It's a plug not the space shuttle.

While not ideal, 99.9% of the time, good enough is good enough.

I'm all for building a great plug, and I'm not saying DON'T use a grommet.
But at times $%$# happens.
Either scrap the plug, or go with it and fish the damn thing.

Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement -- Keith Benning
Old 02-05-2011, 11:32 AM   #7
spence

Good lord, could you imagine if the engineers on the Space Shuttle used the same standards as some plug builders?

I just looked at some top builders on my wall and many of the nose grommets don't fit flush. I'd certainly use one, and either not worry about it or recess it very slightly as has been discussed.

-spence
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 04:42 PM   #8
JFigliuolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by striper774 View Post
Space shuttle? That's not the point.JF that's not the responce i would give someone when they asked a question.But then i guess you bump into all kinds of people when you get on these forums.I don' put up with sarcasm from anyone and like i said don't respond with it.Don't respond to me again like this.I've been building plugs for awhile but though maby i could learn a little something about one of your methods w/o nose gromets.Have a nice day
If you don't like sarcasm... you may not like it here...

That being said, I think we just misunderstood each other. My intended response was although the plug may not be ideal, just fish it. I believe you thought i had some grommetless technique, which I do not.

Hope that clears things up, but ,sorry... I will not change my attitude for anyone. You can feel free to put me on your ignore list if that is your choice.

Old 02-05-2011, 05:16 PM   #9
spence

I think you guys should fight.

-spence
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 08:05 PM   #10
jkswimmer

Why not drill on center and bend the wire down below center.
jkswimmer is offline   Reply With Quote