Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 06-26-2012, 11:06 AM   #1
Piscator

Falmouth Vacation, Need Suggestions

Based on the great responses and suggestions to Jim in CT’s thread about his Truro vacation, I figured I’d ask you guys your opinions on my upcoming vacation in Falmouth (late August). We rented a friends parents’ house in Falmouth on “Beach Street” (steps to Great Pond/Green Pond as well as the beach). I wanted to go east and stay in Chatham/Harwich/Eastham but the deal in Falmouth was too good to pass up so we ended up there.

Any and all suggestions for a good family vacation. My kids are 5, 3, and 1, (2 girls and a boy). We will spend a lot of time at the beach but I get very antsy at the beach and will need to switch it up. Any suggestions in the area for us to do? I do plan to fish a few times (at night/early AM for the most part) but will not be bringing my boat this time so it will be from surf/shore (welcome PM's on that topic).

I plan to hit the fish hatchery in Sandwich and maybe crash KeeperReepers place in Chatham one of the days.

What other fun things can we do in the Falmouth area?

Thanks again guys!

Last edited by Piscator; 06-26-2012 at 11:13 AM..

"I know a taxidermy man back home. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him!"
Piscator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 01:43 PM   #2
Gloucester2

The acquarium in Woods Hole is a must - walk around and see the "tourists" come and go from the ferry, get an ice cream cone and watch the bridge go up and down at Eel Pond. THere is also a "nature boat ride" - kids pull a lobster trap, take water temp, turbidity, touch tank of local things - but your kids might be a little young.

Go to a Falmouth Commodores - elite college baseball players - many of whom end up in MLB (the Sox recent number One - Morreno played for Cotuit last summer) - but again your kids are young.

Old Silver beach is nice for young kids - on the Bay side and long shallow beach - the South facing beaches drop off quick and can be a little hairy.

Take a day trip on the Island Queen to Martha's Vineyard for lunch and a ride on the merry-go-round in Vineyard Haven

That should pretty much fill up the week
Gloucester2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 02:05 PM   #3
Jim in CT

A bit of a drive, but my 5 year old and 2 year old loved the Chatham Fish Pier. There is a raised deck above the water, and if you stand on that, the commercial fishing boats stop just underneath you to unload their catch. Seals swim around the boats looking for a handout. I've been told that many boats unload their catch between 4 and 6 PM.

Also, my 5 year old and 2 year old loved the 2 hour lobster cruise we did. We did it out of P-Town, but I know there were guys who do it closer to the elbow. Me, my wife, and the 2 older kids loved the trip.

Also a bit of a drive, but First Encounter Beach in Eastham, at low tide, was amazing. Lots of sandbars and eposed tidal pools. The pools are full of crabs, shrimp, minnows for the kids to catch in nets. You can walk out half a mile, and the water is only ankle-deep, so no danger to the kids. Ice cream truck in the parking lot had delicious homemade ice cream.

Hope you have as much fun as we did.
Jim in CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 02:12 PM   #4
deepsushi

Gloucester2 gave you some great recommendations. Here are a couple of more:

1.) Thursday night free concerts at the Falmouth Harbor Bandshell.
2.) Rainy day activity -- Bowling at Leary family amusements -- a musty old dump of a bowling alley but great fun for young kids.
3.) Rainy day activity -- Mashpee Childrens Museum -- lots of activities for kids that will keep them occupied for hours.
4.) Playground at Mullen Hall (downtown by Public Library). Huge outdoor science themed playground that can keep kids entertained for long periods.
5.) Jamaican night (Wednesdays) at Coonamesset Farm -- Jamaican menu featuring great food and live steel drum music.
deepsushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 02:58 PM   #5
niko

good timing, headed down tomorrow for a few days.

my 1st wife didn't like me fishing so much
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 03:57 PM   #6
capecodkid

Woodneck beach is also good for the kids.
capecodkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 04:18 PM   #7
Mr. Sandman

PM sent

Last edited by Mr. Sandman; 06-26-2012 at 04:18 PM.. Reason: PM sent
Mr. Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 07:08 PM   #8
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

Goodwill park is worth a visit.
There is a farm in WFalmouth on 28A that advertises pony rides.
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 07:30 PM   #9
O.D. Mike

You can visit the canal, remember to yell "FORE" when you cast!!!!

"Always two there are, no more, no less: a master and an apprentice." >> Yoda
O.D. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 07:34 PM   #10
Piscator

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.D. Mike View Post
You can visit the canal, remember to yell "FORE" when you cast!!!!

"Fore!......... I should have yelled Two" -Rodney

"I know a taxidermy man back home. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him!"
Old 06-26-2012, 07:38 PM   #11
Piscator

All great stuff guys. I appreciate your time to reply to this post.

Old 06-26-2012, 07:46 PM   #12
keeperreaper
Spot Preserver

Zachary's it will keep you entertained for hours.

D- swing down with the family for a day or two. Plenty of room for you guys. Plenty of stuff to do including catch a few tuna.

Make America Great Again.
keeperreaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:53 PM   #13
Bronko

Come down our way or a day Dennis!
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Bronko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:59 PM   #14
TS_Morgan

In yarmouth there are great pirate ships that go around the bay that are great for kids

Team Sanchez keeping them honest
TS_Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 06:24 AM   #15
Jim in CT

Again, Provincetown is a bit of a drive. But there is a fleet of boats there (Viking Princess?) that do whale watches. They also do a 1 hour "critter cruise", where they let out a big net, and bring back all kinds of sea critters. The critters (minnows, crabs, starfish) go into a "touch pool" on the boat. A naturalist discusses the animals with the kids, and the kids can touch everyhting in the pool. We didn't do it, but it sounded awesome for kids.
Jim in CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:13 AM   #16
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

For many years, the fish/tackle shop at Green Pond served some of the best stuffed quahogs that I've ever had--very spicy old Portuguese recipe. But it's now the Green Pond Yacht Club, and I don't know whether they still sell the quahogs. If they do, make sure you sample them.

Parking can be tough in Woods Hole. If you can find a spot, it's a great walking village. Couple good restaurants. I'm fond of the Fishmonger myself. If you do the aquarium, make sure that you go upstairs, too. They also have a "touch pool" up there.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 07:04 AM   #17
capecodder

Ride the bikepath to Woods Hole, bring your bathing suits to stop and swim along the way. Find the Knob at Quisset harbor, a small peninsula sticking out into Buzzards Bay, walk to the point, beaches around it. Cape League baseball, Falnouth commodores. I used to love swimming in the marsh at Woodneck beach as a kid. Chappaqoit beach in west falmouth is excellent.
capecodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 10:21 AM   #18
Piscator

Maybe we should have got this place for 2 weeks instead of 1!!!!!