Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » Boat Fishing & Boating

Boat Fishing & Boating A new forum at Striped-Bass.com for those fishing from boats and for boating in general

Old 11-06-2012, 03:54 PM   #1
Jersey_Jim

Electric Motor in Salt Water???

I read where you can fry a Standard Trolling motor in Salt Water, but I have also seen guys post that they do it with no problems. Any experience with this?
Thanks

Jersey Jim
Jersey_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:41 PM   #2
BigBo

They only fry because of corrosion. If you're religious about cleaning, they will go on for quite a while. Try to pick up a Minn Kota Riptide for saltwater use. They have a corrosion resistant paint and some extra seals.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
BigBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:43 PM   #3
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Send a message via Skype™ to PRBuzz
From another board: "You can use a fresh water trolling motor in salt. Just make sure you wash it off with your boat and motor and watch for rust or nicks and take care of them. I used a minn kota in salt for 4 years no problem and then sold it for $200. I replaced it only to get a more powerful trolling motor."

Given the diversity of the human species, there is no “normal” human genome sequence. We are all mutants.
PRBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:23 PM   #4
Hookedagain

I use the same trolling motor in salt water every year for duck hunting.Its about 11 years old and never had a problem. Rinse it off aftereach use and thats it.
Hookedagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:03 AM   #5
Rockfish9

I've been using electric trolling motors in the salt since the late 70's.. my first one was a Ted Willams... it's only been in the last 10 years or so that "salt water" versions were available/affordable...since the dawn of the 80's then I've been through a half dozen or so ( fresh water models)... mainly because bigger and more powewrfull ones were available.. I've only been using salt water versions for the last two years... prior to that.. they were mostly Minn Kotta fresh water models in the 40-50 lb thrust range... I use the electric more than the main engine... about 30 hours a week or so.. 5 months out of the year... if you keep line off of the prop.. grease and lube the swivel points and thumb screws touch up the paint in the fall they last a long time... mine never came off the boat once the went on... it was on the boat in the slip all summer and neve got taken off for the winter.. I never washed them or gave them any special care in season... most lasted 5 years or better... and I could have repaired them if I wanted to.... they mainly were just worn out..I rebuilt a 10 year old Minn kotta 50lb thrust fresh water vedrsion that i keep as a back up... new thumb screws, controller and paint has it looking and working like new... should my current( salt water version) one cease to run properly...it's sitting over the rafters waiting for duty.

A good run is better than a bad stand!
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:09 PM   #6
massgc

You can solve the corrision problem by using a zinc on the motor shaft and a quick wash after use. Will last as long as a saltwater unit.
massgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:48 AM   #7
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

ditto wash after each use and it will last; I run a 101# rip-tide I-Pilot and love it.
Got Stripers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:26 AM   #8
MakoMike

If you're going to install a zinc, make sure you have a good connection between the zinc and the metal in the motor.

****MakoMike****

Http://www.Makomania.net

Official S-B Sponsor
MakoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:28 AM   #9
Rockfish9

a good deal of the newer motors use a composit shaft.. they do make zincs for the prop nuts... Motor guide uses one on it's SS shaft on the salt water models

A good run is better than a bad stand!
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote