Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 01-04-2018, 09:56 AM   #31
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Not the best candidate I'd agree. I know someone who has worked with her extensively and says she's an amazing leader, more like an elite CEO than a politician.
There are those who say the same thing about Trump.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:58 AM   #32
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
Not the best candidate I'd agree. I know someone who has worked with her extensively and says she's an amazing leader, more like an elite CEO than a politician. If she's really a mob boss I'd say she must be brilliant to not get pinned down with all the scandals thrown at her.

Hahaha - the Wikileak emails quote her top staff saying she is her own worst enemy and her ideas suck. Terrible Instincts.

Quote:
'Terrible instincts'

On the same day that news of a private email server broke, John Podesta, who later became her campaign chairman, emailed Neera Tanden, who worked for the Clinton campaign in 2008 and has remained a close adviser, to complain about Mrs Clinton's "instincts".

"We've taken on a lot of water that won't be easy to pump out of the boat", he wrote in September 2015 as Clinton staff feared that Vice President Joe Biden would join the Democratic primary race.

"Most of that has to do with terrible decisions made pre-campaign, but a lot has to do with her instincts," he wrote, to which Mrs Tanden responded: "Almost no one knows better [than] me that her instincts can be terrible."

In the email exchange, Mr Podesta also complained that Clinton's personal lawyer David Kendall, and former State Department staffers Cheryl Mills and Philippe Reines "sure weren't forthcoming here on the facts here". Mrs Tanden responds "Why didn't' they get this stuff out like 18 months ago? So crazy."

She later answered her own question saying, "I guess I know the answer. They wanted to get away with it."
Quote is from BBC, clearly worse than FREEP http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-37639370

AWKWARD

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 01-04-2018, 09:59 AM   #33
JohnR

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
There are those who say the same thing about Trump.

I am still not convinced who was the worst candidate

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 01-04-2018, 10:04 AM   #34
detbuch

Quote:
I'd say he made a very valid comparison. If the standard for impeachment is lying about a consensual (if unethical) little tryst I'd say Trump has likely reached far, far beyond.
Valid or not, it's still a whataboutism. WDMSO scoffs at what others consider valid comparisons and calls them whataboutisms. I like to remind him of his hypocrisy.

The difference, so far, is the "under oath" bit. It wasn't about the tryst, it was about lying under oath. I don't know if Trump has even reached that far yet.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:14 AM   #35
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
Here's the thing for me, it is not about the character of either one. It is about which one would be the better or worse regarding the nature of how we are governed. About the character of the system of government we have. About whether we live in a constitutional republic, or under an unassailable administrative state.

A republic, under our Constitution, can survive bad characters. It has already done that several times. Bad characters don't go away. And the power hungry ones drift into politics. A strong system of checks and balances protects our freedom from their usurpation of it.

And no matter how "good" the character of a politician is, if he or she is about instilling a system of governance in which those who are "good," in their own estimation, have the power to direct and control our lives because they know better than us, I don't want them near the levers of power.

Last edited by detbuch; 01-04-2018 at 10:20 AM..
Old 01-04-2018, 11:35 AM   #36
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
Republicans wanted and impeached Clinton for lying under oath about a BJ let me say again lying about a BJ
Proof

"Did you have Sexual Relations with that girl"

"No"

"Then what's this on her dress"

"Doh!!!"
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 01-04-2018, 11:47 AM   #37
Nebe

I have always thought Lewinski was a plant or at the very least paid to get that spunk on her dress. Who in their right mind would archive something like that and not clean it? A momento ?
Old 01-04-2018, 01:36 PM   #38
Sea Dangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
I have always thought Lewinski was a plant or at the very least paid to get that spunk on her dress. Who in their right mind would archive something like that and not clean it? A momento ?
They pop up now and then. It's up to the recipient of the plant to say yes or no. Neither choice is easy but the yes has potential consequences.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 01-04-2018, 02:15 PM   #39
Jim in CT

Quote:
What did Wikileaks reveal about Clinton?
If it didn't reveal much, how could it have changed the course of the election?

Talk about wanting to have it both ways! According to your side, she did nothing wrong, but revealing what she did, helped turn the election to Trump.

It showed that she worked with the DNC to cut Sanders' legs off, and that she got debate questions ahead of time, among other things.
Old 01-04-2018, 02:26 PM   #40
Jim in CT

Quote:
You can debate who is the more disgusting person. In terms of running the country? No comparison. Neil Gorsich in the Supreme Court, stock market up, wages up, unemployment down. Major tax reform that will let people keep more of their money, as opposed to Obama, who passed a trillion dollar stimulus bill that did nothing that I can see.
Old 01-04-2018, 02:33 PM   #41
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
They pop up now and then. It's up to the recipient of the plant to say yes or no. Neither choice is easy but the yes has potential consequences.
So true.
Old 01-04-2018, 03:26 PM   #42
sburnsey931

What I find confusing ...
It is said the John jr. willingness to take a meeting with the Russian Lawyer to get dirt on Hillary is characterized as collusion.
But the hiring of GPS and Steele to get dirt on Trump from the Russians is not.
Is it not the same? Does twice removed change it.....
Isn’t Steele a foreign national.....
Old 01-04-2018, 05:55 PM   #43
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by sburnsey931 View Post
What I find confusing ...
It is said the John jr. willingness to take a meeting with the Russian Lawyer to get dirt on Hillary is characterized as collusion.
But the hiring of GPS and Steele to get dirt on Trump from the Russians is not.
Is it not the same? Does twice removed change it.....
Isn’t Steele a foreign national.....
Nobody coordinated with Steele, he was just a consultant and had no idea who was sourcing the information. Quite different from Don Jr who appears to have known exactly what he was doing.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:27 AM   #44
JohnR

Quote:
Nobody coordinated with Steele, he was just a consultant and had no idea who was sourcing the information. Quite different from Don Jr who appears to have known exactly what he was doing.
Steele would not be shaking trees in Russia without knowing who was paying the expense check.

The proper rebuttal would have been there is little similarity between campaign people making and acting on arrangements in a quid pro quo with a foreign power (which is what still needs to be proven) to actively influence an election versus opposition research.

There is plenty of smoke around Clinton (and CGI) to be concerned of payments for policy. Clinton hands are rarely ever clean.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 01-05-2018, 01:40 PM   #45
spence

Quote:
Steele would not be shaking trees in Russia without knowing who was paying the expense check.

The proper rebuttal would have been there is little similarity between campaign people making and acting on arrangements in a quid pro quo with a foreign power (which is what still needs to be proven) to actively influence an election versus opposition research.

There is plenty of smoke around Clinton (and CGI) to be concerned of payments for policy. Clinton hands are rarely ever clean.
Steele was a hired consultant by Fusion GPS to do research. It's supposed to be a very credible firm, I'd think they have strict policies in place to specifically prevent him from knowing.

As for Clinton and payments for policy. I haven't seen anything other than crack conspiracy theories.
Old 01-05-2018, 02:19 PM   #46
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Steele was a hired consultant by Fusion GPS to do research. It's supposed to be a very credible firm, I'd think they have strict policies in place to specifically prevent him from knowing.

As for Clinton and payments for policy. I haven't seen anything other than crack conspiracy theories.
I'd like to see the Fusion GPS folks testify publicly for the Senate committee.

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 01-05-2018, 03:55 PM   #47
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
I'd like to see the Fusion GPS folks testify publicly for the Senate committee.
Well, they did in private and have asked for the full transcripts to be released.
Old 01-05-2018, 04:33 PM   #48
wdmso

just more of the same... Republicans demanding proof and evidence
against Trump ...

however Republicans do not demanding proof or evidence against a democrat or any investigation or hearing they lead ... the love painting an Impressionism portrait 1st.. then try to get the pieces to fit

why is that ?

why are they trying to discredit Muller at every turn? if they support MAGA
Old 01-05-2018, 04:36 PM   #49
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
If it didn't reveal much, how could it have changed the course of the election?

Talk about wanting to have it both ways! According to your side, she did nothing wrong, but revealing what she did, helped turn the election to Trump.

It showed that she worked with the DNC to cut Sanders' legs off, and that she got debate questions ahead of time, among other things.
isn't that what Donald Jr was trying to do.. but via the Russians

and you support the release of stolen information because you like the content ?

Talk about wanting it both ways
Old 01-05-2018, 04:46 PM   #50
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Well, they did in private and have asked for the full transcripts to be released.
I am aware. I don’t know if Grassley will release them however

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 01-05-2018, 05:28 PM   #51
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
I am aware. I don’t know if Grassley will release them however
good question from Andy McCarthy

"If Simpson and Fritsch have evidence of criminal or otherwise corrupt Trump-Russia contacts, why don’t they just tell us what it is. Why do they write a lengthy NY Times column caterwauling about how the Republican-controlled committees are supposedly withholding the information they’ve provided? We are not talking about classified information here; we are talking about Fusion’s own investigation. They say the Republicans refuse to release their testimony. Why wait for the Republicans? There’s nothing stopping Simpson and Fritsch from fully disclosing what their testimony was. Why don’t they tell the story instead of complaining about its not being told? Could it be that the story is not what they purport it to be?"

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...ve-falls-apart
Old 01-05-2018, 06:19 PM   #52
JohnR

Quote:

Sure, if you are doing research on Denmark or Uruguay. Someone that is smart and greatly experienced former member of a FiveEyes country (and wants to live a long life) does not conduct research on Ruissia without knowing who is paying.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 01-05-2018, 07:49 PM   #53
spence

Quote:
Sure, if you are doing research on Denmark or Uruguay. Someone that is smart and greatly experienced former member of a FiveEyes country (and wants to live a long life) does not conduct research on Ruissia without knowing who is paying.
Sounds like you're solidifying the credibility of his research.
Old 01-06-2018, 05:10 AM   #54
wdmso

Republicans urge investigation into Trump dossier author
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-42586855

The Steele dossier - which became public in January 2017 - was drawn together after an investigation funded by Republicans trying to block Mr Trump from becoming the party's presidential candidate.

funny how this has been left out here ?

but the part below hasn't

Democrats then took over funding the investigation after he was nominated.

Clinton Foundation investigated by Justice Departmenthttp://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-42579732

The Attorney General and FBI will reportedly investigate claims Hillary Clinton engaged in so-called "pay-to-play" politics for donations.

Mrs Clinton's spokesman on Friday labelled the inquiry a "sham".

He said Attorney General Jeff Sessions was doing President Trump's bidding to distract from the Russia probe.

^^^^^painting an Impressionism portrait 1st.. then try to get the pieces to fit .... as if i had a Crystal ball
Old 01-06-2018, 10:47 AM   #55
JohnR

Quote:
Sounds like you're solidifying the credibility of his research.
I am reasonably confident some is legit, other parts sensationalized, wrapped in parts that are pure disinformation.

Some people say the guy is good, some folks say he is a sky is falling.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 01-06-2018, 12:33 PM   #56
spence

Quote:
I am reasonably confident some is legit, other parts sensationalized, wrapped in parts that are pure disinformation.

Some people say the guy is good, some folks say he is a sky is falling.
Steele says it's 70-90% accurate. Hell, even at 30% it's pretty damning.

The Fusion GPS leadership spent 21 hours before congress and claim they ripped the conspiracy theories to shreds. They are demanding congress release the full transcripts.

This obstruction of justice case seems to have engulfed most of the GOP.
Old 01-06-2018, 12:44 PM   #57
PaulS

It's my understanding that parts of it have been confirmed and that nothing has been disapproved.
Old 01-06-2018, 01:47 PM   #58
PaulS

And on a related note I learned today that President Trump is a "stable genius".
Old 01-06-2018, 02:02 PM   #59
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
And on a related note I learned today that President Trump is a "stable genius".
Perhaps that's why he seems to have so much disdain for the rule of law? He's too smart and stable for it.
Old 01-06-2018, 02:59 PM   #60
PaulS

I'm going to give him props for keeping me safe when I'm flying.