Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » Kayaking

Kayaking After the frequent attempts at Bribery, beatings, and simply getting towed at Sunrise - S-B opens the Kayak Forums Also see http://www.ultimatekayakfishing.com

Old 11-18-2014, 05:11 PM   #1
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
So Yak Guys....How Was Your Season?

Where have you all been? I only got out with 1 of you this season?? Where you been?? Did you get out?? How was your season?

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 01:11 PM   #2
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Non-existent....didn't even get out once.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 03:49 PM   #3
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Old 11-22-2014, 12:18 PM   #4
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

OK I will go! Had a blast this season and kayak fished more this year than ever before! Did a little saltwater fishing but 99% of my time was spent in the sweetwater! Spent 2 weeks in Maine on Damariscotta Lake and it was absolute heaven!! One week in July and then a week in the Fall end of September! I was using 2 new freshwater baits I had been working on and they performed beautifully and the fish just crushed them! I just had so much fun, it was so relaxing......I enjoyed this season more than any in recent memory!

Old 11-22-2014, 04:53 PM   #5
BigBo

Just got back into the yak scene after a few years hiatus. Very spotty due to health issues, but I'm looking forward to a big yak season next year.

The future ain't what it used to be. --Yogi Berra
BigBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 08:07 PM   #6
Nebe

Too damn busy between work and life this year. I am going to try and get out more next year
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 08:57 PM   #7
eskimo

Got a brand new revo 14 but I only used it 4 or 5 times. I did fish 5 nights a week though. I'll use it more next year.
eskimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 11:49 AM   #8
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
Too damn busy between work and life this year. I am going to try and get out more next year
What he said.....

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 12:37 PM   #9
Diggin Jiggin

I do so much striper fishing from shore that I don't even try and use my kayak for that. I get burnt out on stripers so I try to target a few new kinds of fish each year from the kayak as a change of pace. Last year I tried weakfish and fluking.

This year I did a little trout, tog and albie fishing in it. Nice thing is its just to try something different, so size doesn't really matter.
Diggin Jiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 08:57 PM   #10
FishermanTim

Salt.....not once!

Fresh..... I had a very good season, even with the challenge of fishing low water conditions.

Now with the local waters showing their first skim ice, I can't wait to hit the hard water!!!!

I am a legend in my own mind!
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 10:31 AM   #11
hq2

Fair amount of yakking, mediocre fishing. Tried new areas near Odiorne in NH, Fore River, Back River, North River. Mostly caught 20-25 inch schoolies at each location, no keepers from yak. Each day OTW, however, was just about perfect; great weather, great people, great paddling. Always good just to get out.

Next year will probably dial back on stripers, focus on other stuff (blues, togs, lakers), like I did during the moratorium (sigh). Hope I do as well on them now as I did back then.
hq2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 01:04 PM   #12
FishermanTim

Quote:
Originally Posted by hq2 View Post
...Next year will probably dial back on stripers, focus on other stuff (blues, togs, lakers), like I did during the moratorium (sigh). Hope I do as well on them now as I did back then.
I had some good fish, lost some good ones as well, and even caught (not snagged, but hooked) a huge adult snapping turle that decided to try and eat my Zoom rubber minnow lure.

You will probably find, like I did, that more and more people are turning from the salt to the fresh for their on-the-water fishing fix!
Doesn't mean you can't/won't catch fish, but rather that you will have to use the same tactic of locating fish as you did in the salt.

Oh, and bring your camera because you never know what you will see, be it landscape or wildlife photo opportunities.
(I need to transfer my photos from my phone to another storage device to free up the phones memory.)

just some things to consider for next season....

I am a legend in my own mind!
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 04:23 PM   #13
hq2

Quote:
You will probably find, like I did, that more and more people are turning from the salt to the fresh for their on-the-water fishing fix!
Doesn't mean you can't/won't catch fish, but rather that you will have to use the same tactic of locating fish as you did in the salt.
Yeah, I'm pretty psyched to go for some mid-summer lakers. Been hearing some good reports about some places, and my check of the charts/maps shows obvious locations where they should be. Really looking forward to trying for them.
hq2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 06:06 PM   #14
Rockport24
President - S-B Chapter - Kelly Clarkson Fan Club

Had a pretty good season in the salt (pretty much only fished salt). Things started off very slow in May and June, thought the season was going to be great after getting into a ton of Schoolies at my early spots, but then it just fell off. I was still always able to squeeze out enough fish to keep me satisfied, had a handful of trips where I was able to get some fish on live macks which is just a blast in the kayak.

I took a brief hiatus as I moved in July, and things were still slow in July and August, I was able to locate live bait fairly easily and would have days where I would load the freezer with all the macks I caught that weren't consumed (ended up feeding most of those as chunk bait to fish off the beach at night). A few times, I took the live macks off and went back to the tube and worm and got into a bunch of schoolies, with was fine with me.

Things got better in late summer, the fish moved back into the rocks and I had some nice trips with multiple decent fish. The pollock moved in big time in September so I started live lining those little bastages to bass as well, which was great. No broken records but it ended up decent in the end.
Rockport24 is offline   Reply With Quote